Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Hockey Romance Series I've Read {part one}


Now that the NHL has started their new season, I figured it would be the perfect time to talk about hockey romance series that I've enjoyed. 

If you know me at all, you know that hockey romance is a major weakness of mine. I've been just a little bit obsessed since I read my first book back in October 2019. It also should not be of any surprise that I love a good series. Combine hockey romance and a book series, and I'm all in. ALL IN! 


Discovering hockey romance, also lead me to discovering the authors who are now auto-buy authors. Yep, you read that correctly. Because of these books, I want to read all their backlist, plus any and all new releases.


These books are all technically standalones, so there is no need to start with book 1. Personally I prefer to start with book one and work my way to the conclusion of the series. But that's just me. You do you.

Let's start with where my love affair began, shall we?

Pucked by Helena Hunting is a hockey series that has 7 books available. Okay fine, 8 if you count the deleted scenes/outtakes book.  If you like steamy romantic comedies, alpha males, and hockey, then check it out! 

I have read Pucked (1), Pucked Up (2), and Forever Pucked (4). It is my mission to go back and read the other books that I have missed. It will happen, and hopefully it will happen in 2021.



Here's the blurb for Pucked via Amazon:
With a famous NHL player for a stepbrother, Violet Hall is well acquainted with the playboy reputation of many a hockey star. So of course she isn’t interested in legendary team captain Alex Waters or his pretty, beat-up face and rock-hard six-pack abs. When Alex inadvertently obliterates Violet’s misapprehension regarding the inferior intellect of hockey players, he becomes much more than just a hot body with the face to match. 

Suffering from a complete lapse in judgment, Violet discovers just how good Alex is with the hockey stick in his pants. Violet believes her night of orgasmic magic with Alex is just that: one night. But Alex starts to call. And text. And email and send extravagant—and quirky—gifts. Suddenly, he's too difficult to ignore, and nearly impossible not to like. 

The problem is, the media portrays Alex as a total player, and Violet doesn’t want to be part of the game. 
Helena Hunting has another hockey series called All In. This trilogy is a spin off of Pucked, and previous characters appear which I love. Especially since I wasn't ready to give up the original crew.

A Lie for A Lie is the first book, and  follows the love story between Rook and Lainey. To be honest, this was my least favorite of the trilogy, but it set us up for the book Little Lies, so that makes me appreciate it all the more. My favorite was A Favor for A Favor, which follows Bishop and Stevie. I freaking loved it. I cannot think of hawaiian pizza or comical boxers without thinking of this book! The third book is called A Secret for A Secret, and we get the story of Kingston and Queenie. I adored Queenie, especially her connection with Violet Waters.


Here is the description of my favorite, A Favor for A Favor:
When I joined Seattle’s NHL expansion team, I thought it was the start of something great. But nothing ever goes the way you expect. Take my introduction to my new neighbor. She came rolling in on the hot mess express at midnight, making a racket while she tried to get into my team captain’s apartment. Did I mention that he’s married to a woman who definitely was not her?
Imagine my surprise when I end up with an injury that has me out of the game for weeks, and she’s the one to offer to help me. I should probably add that she’s not the captain’s mistress. She’s his sexy, pastel-haired younger sister.
So we come up with an arrangement: she rehabs me so that I can get back on the ice sooner, and she can add a professional athlete that isn’t her brother to her client list. Seems simple enough. As long as I can keep my hands to myself and my hormones in check.

Another author who writes hockey romance is Aven Ellis. Aven's books are all rom-coms, and I have loved them all. I discovered her Rinkside in the Rockies series through an email from BookBub. After devouring that series, I moved onto Chicago on Ice, and then the Dallas Demons. On Thin Ice (Dallas Demons #4) was my absolute favorite. Matt and Holly are my couple, and so far no other Aven couple has topped them. 


Here is the copy for On Thin Ice:
Holly Johansson knows some things in her life are certain after college graduation: 1.) It’s a long road to becoming a full-time author. 2.) She’ll need to work to pay her bills. 3.) And Dallas Demons superstar Matt Rhinelander will never return her feelings.

Holly knows her unrequited crush on the partying hockey player is ridiculous. There’s no way Matt would be attracted to a woman who prefers watching TV or reading books when he’s known for his frequent bar hops and fast lifestyle. Obviously he would never see her as anything other than his teammate’s little sister.

Yet Holly is drawn to the other side of Matt—the man she knows has always been thoughtful and easy to talk to whenever she’s been alone with him. It is this Matt that fueled the crush Holly has on him. And she knows it will always be just that—a secret crush.

Or will it?

Because when Matt helps Holly through a crisis, her heart begins to believe that there might be feelings on his part, too. After a night of hard partying puts Matt in jeopardy with the Dallas Demons, can Holly be the one to save him? And when Matt admits he sees her as more than Nate Johansson’s sister, will it put them both on thin ice?

Let's step away from the world of professional hockey, and head back to college for the Hockey Gods series. Xavier Neal recently released her fourth book in the series, and I am hoping it wasn't the last! Peck has been mentioned in all the books, and I feel he needs a story of his own, so fingers crossed that happens. The guys are awesome on the ice, but the partners they have chosen? Well they are my kind of people. These hockey gods are not falling for the typical puck bunny, oh no, they're falling for the intelligent ones who challenge them, and I'm here for it. Of course in Defenseman No. 9 it's a bit different as Hugo falls for his best friend. So that story might just be my favorite. I love a good friends to lovers story.


Here is the premise for Can't Block My Love, which is the first book in the series:
Once upon a time, the Vlasta Vipers hockey team was so incredible — on and off the ice — they were almost mythical. 

Every other university wanted their team to be them. 

Every chick who crossed their paths wanted to bang them. 

Now? 

Their clout on the ice is questionable. 

Their competition cutthroat. 

Their beds... 

Well, there will always be puck bunnies ready to keep them warm. After all, no matter how well they do or don't do, they are the university's most important athletes. 

However, when Remington Ronald Rutledge the 3rd, lands himself on the new head coach's bad side, which threatens his chances of playing for the season, he finds himself striking an unusual deal with a blast from his past he can barely remember. 

Did she always wear these glasses? 

Was her hair always this curly? 

Has she always had a smile that makes him wanna smile? 

What happens when the bad boy who makes all the rules is forced to play by someone else's? 

Can this good-looking goalie let love score, or will blocking it be the biggest mistake of his life?


Okay I want to keep talking hockey romance series, but this post is getting a bit long. So I'm going to break this up into a 3 part series. Curious which other hockey series are on my list? Be sure to come back and find out. 

Do you read sports romance? If so, give me some recommendations! Hockey is my preferred, but I'm open to others. 

Happy Reading,