Thursday, February 11, 2021

Fragile Things {a review}


One day I was scrolling through Instagram, and stumbled across a promo post for Fragile Things by Samantha Lovelock. I read the description and knew that I had to read this book! 

Sometimes what seems most fragile, can't be broken.

Stella
Poe Halliday was an accident. A chance meeting that changed my life forever.

My mother didn't have secrets; her secrets had her. After she disappeared, I had nothing.

Or so I thought.

When the invitation arrived, the opportunity to learn about my mother's past was too great to pass up. I know I was taking a risk, but I craved answers.

Now the dark history of this town threatens to tear me apart.

It's all about him.

I knew this was a mistake.

Poe
Stella Bradleigh was a distraction. Something to play with when my shadows got too dark.

I spent my entire existence forced to live a life I didn't want. There was only one way out.

Or so I thought.

Meeting the beautiful stranger with the mysterious past, I thought she would be a good time, and then I could just throw her away.

Instead, she consumed me, and now she's made me question everything I know to be real in my life.

It's all about her.

I knew I was a mistake.

Now I know you might be thinking, "Laur that doesn't tell us much". You're right, it doesn't. BUT it's enough to pique curiosity. Or at least it was for me.


Fragile Things is the first book in the Folkestone Sins series. It is a dark, young/new adult romance that is told from dual point of views. We first meet Stella while she's living alone in New York. Her mom disappeared a couple years ago, and after a short stint in foster care, Stella ran. She knew she'd be better off alone than living in that foster care environment. Shortly before her 18th birthday, Stella receives a mysterious package. Inside the package is a letter that is inviting her to take an all expenses paid trip to California. Needless to say, she accepts the invitation.

Upon arriving at the airport, Stella literally runs into a gorgeous man. She decides to go for it, and kisses the man. Oh what a kiss it was. Stella could practically feel the spark. But she's certain she'll never see this person again.

That is until the first day of school when she runs into him again. 

And that is how Stella and Poe met. 

(it feels like it could be instalove, but oh no friends, we're getting slow burned for a bit)

As the story progresses, we see how Stella has become friends a fantastic group of people, who are referred to as "the heirs". It seems that their families are the founding families for their little community. Stella is slowly finding out a bit more about her Mom's past. 

There is so much I want to tell you about Fragile Things. I want to tell you about Hali. She's our villain of the story, and she has her claws aimed right at Stella. Then there is the guy who takes Stella to the party, and all the horrible things that happen with that. I want to tell you about the tension between Stella and Poe, as well as between Sunday and Payne. I want to tell you about what happened to Stella's Mom (past and present). I also long to tell you about how the book wraps up, but hello major spoilers.

Just know, you go on a ride in this book. You'll love the characters. You'll be annoyed with a character or two. You'll be in disbelief about things from the past that are revealed. You may also feel like yelling at Stella and Poe. And maybe, just maybe, you'll find yourself wishing for a friend like Sunday. She seems awesome, but she definitely has some issues that she's working through.

So if you like dark young/new adult romance, that has a bit of suspense and mystery to it, then grab this book. Actually, just purchase the entire series now because otherwise you'll be going back to download the additional books in the series. Oh wait, maybe that's just me.

If you decide to read Fragile Things, know that the Folkestone Sins series must be read in order, as each book is the continuation of the story. Fragile Things and Fractured Things are currently available. Restless Things will be released on March 25, 2021, and Ruined Things will be available on June 17, 2021. 

Happy Reading book lovers,



Thank you to Wildfire Publishing and Samantha Lovelock for providing me with an advanced reader copy of Fragile Things. I am hooked on this series, and cannot wait to see how it continues. All thoughts about the book are mine, and I was not required to leave a positive review. I was truly captivated by this book, and cannot wait to see how it progresses.