Monday, May 3, 2021

Devious {a review}

 


Are you a fan of Mafia Romance books? If so, consider checking out Devious by J.M. Stoneback. This dark mafia romance features an arranged (ahem forced) marriage, it has an age gap, and it is enemies to lovers. So if any of those are what you like to read, then give this book a try.

Now I will say that Devious was a bit darker than I normally read. I can handle things to a certain level, and then I need to look away. Devious didn't have me looking away from the violent scenes, but there were a few times that I definitely cringed, and may have covered my eyes a smidgen. I also want to say that the "bedroom" scenes are not always carried out with consent. That was difficult for me to read, and so if that is a trigger for you, know that going in. Oh, and there is a trigger warning right at the beginning of the book that says "this book is a DARK romance. If you have sexual assault and violent triggers then this book isn't for you." So please keep that in mind.

Roselyn is the daughter of an underboss. And Lex, well he's in some debt. In order to repay that debt, he's given his daughter to Devious (he's the Don). Once they are married, his debt is forgiven. Roselyn doesn't want to get married, but she doesn't get a say in this. It's the way the rules have been written. Roselyn is essential a captive in the household. All technology has been taken away, and she cannot leave the property. There is a lot that happens in this book, and I can't even begin to go through it all. Just know there is a war between two families, and there is no room for forgiveness. It is intense. 

I've read quite a few mafia romances as of late. Some I've enjoyed more than others. If I'm being honest, Devious wasn't my favorite. It was a decent story, and it had potential. Yet there was something about the flow of the book that didn't mesh with me. Then there is the fact that Cayden changed at the end of the book. That right there goes against what the author told us on the trigger warning page. She had told us that Cayden isn't a hero, and he isn't going to change for Roselyn. Yet he did. So what happened?

Since I like to be completely honest with you all, I gave this book 3 stars. I don't feel that it deserves anything lower than that, but I also don't think it should go higher. Will I read Villainous when it comes out? I don't think so. This series is a little too dark for my liking, and I'm not connected enough to the characters to continue.

If you choose to read Devious, please let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear them.
  
Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts,


If you'd like to read the teaser for Devious, please scroll a bit further. I've also included links to Goodreads and Amazon, as well as links to connect with J.M. Stoneback.




It's time to pay my father's debt.

Nobody is stupid enough to steal from him, Cayden Vitali.

They call him Devious for a reason. He doesn't let his debts go unpaid. He collects what he's owed.

Lex Bartoli works for Devious. Lex should know better than to steal his money. But mistakes were made, and now it's time to pay.

Unfortunately for me, Devious knows exactly what he wants as payment for Lex's stupid mistake.

Me.

Lex's daughter.

If I won't agree to marry Devious, he has another way of making my family pay.

The choice is mine.

Marry the enemy... or watch him kill my father as payback.




Devious is a mafia book with an arranged marriage, enemies to lovers and an age gap romance. This book contains graphic violence, dubious content, and may contain triggers. 



Add to your Goodreads TBR → Devious
Purchase on Amazon → Devious

Meet the Author



J.M. writes New Adult, contemporary, paranormal romance. When she is not reading and writing about hot guys, she is spending time with her boys and husband. Travel, food, video games, and anime are her hobbies.


Connect with J.M. Stoneback






Thank you to Wildfire Marketing and JM Stoneback for an ARC of Devious.
A positive review was not required. All thoughts are my own.