Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Mid Year Freakout {book tag}

 


It's time for the 2021 mid year freakout book tag!

That's right my fellow readers, it is that time of year where book bloggers, booktubers, bookstagrammers, and booktok-ers all reflect back on the first half of the year. This tag was originally created by Megan Olivier over on youtube, and 2020 was my first year participating in the tag. If you'd like, you can read my 2020 Mid Year Freakout here.

From the few videos I've watch on youtube (booktube), it looks like people are leaving out the quantity of books read. Which is fine because everyone reads different amounts, but I like to look back and see my mid-way point. So you'll see me include that here in my freakout.

I'd love to know your favorite book of the year, most anticipated for the second half, what book you has a beautiful cover, and anything else book related that you'd like to share! So please comment below.

Thank you for taking time to read my mid year freakout. I greatly appreciate it.
Laura


Now let's get to the Q&A part of the mid year freakout!

1) How many books have you read so far?

As of today (June 30), I have read 154 books! And so many of them have been new releases. It's been wonderful. Can I keep up this pace? I don't know. I guess only time will tell.

Also my 2021 number is right on par with 2020, so that's kind of neat.

Yes, I know 154 books is a lot. I read a lot. It's my only hobby, and my nose is frequently in my kindle. Plus I think I tend to read quickly. Especially if the book captures my attention.

If you'd like to see all of the books that I have read in 2021, head over to my Goodreads!

2) Favorite books of 2021

In no particular order...

Driven by K. Bromberg
Fragile Things by Samantha Lovelock
The Edge of Happiness by Kristin Turnage
Balls to the Wall by April Canavan
Dirt Queen by Nora Blake

3) Favorite Sequels of 2021

Boots on the Ground by April Canavan



Fractured Things by Samantha Lovelock



Southern Heart by Natasha Madison




4) New Releases I haven't read, but want to


   

   


5) Most anticipated releases for the second half of 2021

This list could be extremely long, so I'll just go with these few:

Love Next Door by Helena Hunting (7/27)
When Sparks Fly by Helena Hunting (9/21)
Pitch to Palace by Aven Ellis (8/25)
Making Spirits Bright by Aven Ellis (December)
Wild Mistake by Kim Loraine (7/26)
Ruthless Noble by Alley Ciz (7/10)
The Defender by Gina Azzi (8/5)

6) Biggest Surprise

Paper Hearts by Brittani Taylor
Saving Us by Wendy Million

7) Biggest Disappointment

Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall
I had such high hopes for this one, and it just didn't work out.
I'm convinced it was me that was the problem, as so many others have raved about the book.

8) Favorite New Authors

Samantha Lovelock {website | facebook | instagram}
Gina Azzi {website | facebook | instagram}
Lisa Suzanne {website | facebook | instagram}
April Canavan {website | facebook | instagram}


9) New Fictional Crushes

I blame Samantha Lovelock! 🤣

Poe Halliday, Stella Bradford
Sunday Easton, Payne Emerson


10) New Favorite Characters

Poe Halliday, Stella Bradford, Sunday Easton, Payne Emerson from Folkestone Sins

Remy, Parker, Kennedy, Lincoln, Emma, Dominic from the Birch Police Department

11) Book that made you cry

Dirt Queen by Nora Blake.



This book wrecked me, and I was UGLY crying. It's based on a true story, and my heart still has not recovered.


12) Book that made you happy

Decidedly with Wishes by Stina Lindenblatt

It's all because of Nala, and the passions she has for the dresses she is creating for these amazing young ladies, all while taking into account the special care that is needed.



13) Favorite Book to Film adaptation

I haven't read any book to film/tv adaptations yet.

Well I did read Driven by K Bromberg, but I haven't watch the show on Passion Flix yet. So I guess I could technically count that?


14) Beautiful Cover

Being someone who reads romance, this is hard. So many of the book covers feature men who are missing their shirts. And while, yes, they can be nice to look at, I wouldn't necessarily call them beautiful. They don't truly stand out. (just my opinion)

The three books that did stand out though are Reel by Kennedy Ryan, Make It Sweet by Kristen Callihan, and Unsteady by Ashley Christin. Kennedy Ryan's cover is just elegant, classy, and gorgeous. It gives off the old Hollywood vibe, which fits with the book. Kristen Callihan and Ashley Christin's covers are easy on the eyes, unique, and also beautiful.






15) What book do you need to read before the end of 2021?

Well technically I don't NEED to read any, but are there a lot that I would like to read? Oh absolutely! I would love to clear out my ARCs by the end of the year. Is that 100% possible? I have no clue. But it's going to be my goal.