Wednesday, July 14, 2021

My Top 3 Favorite Tropes



There are so many amazing romance books on the market just waiting to be read. When looking for new books, you might be searching by the sub-genre, and/or the trope that they fall into, or you may just be searching for your favorite author. No matter how you search for books, chances are you may have heard people talk about tropes. Tropes are a way to describe the plot of the story, or better yet it’s a representation of the character, setting, or storyline. It’s familiar. It’s known. When you know the trope, you will have a good idea of what will happen between the main characters. You know how they’ll fall in love, and potentially have their happily ever after.


There are many tropes that I adore. Some are definitely more preferred than others. That being said, it seems with a lot of books I am discovering I enjoy tropes that I thought I otherwise wouldn’t. So it’s been an interesting journey. But that’s a post for a different day.


Today I want to share my top 3 favorite tropes in the romance genre. I will even give you a few examples of books to go with it. Hey, if you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for book recommendations.


My Top 3, in no particular order, are:

  1. Friends to Lovers

  2. Best Friend’s Sibling

  3. Second Chance Romance


Friends to Lovers


The name of the trope tells you exactly what you are getting. Our main characters have been friends for a good amount of time, and eventually they both want more in their friendship. They want romance. They want a partner. They want a happily ever after, and they see this person as their forever person.


So why is this one of my favorite tropes? Honestly, it comes down to the fact that it’s what a lot of people want, or a lot of people experience. Plus there is the history that you share with this person. You have these memories that you’ve created together as friends, and now you’re able to take it to the next chapter. You’re still friends, but there’s the added intimacy of the relationship now as well.


Here are a few books that I think you’d enjoy if you like the friends to lovers trope.

  1. The Rule Maker by Gina Azzi

    Austin and Chloe were childhood friends, but were separated due to her family moving. Now that her family is back in town, and she’s gone through a recent breakup, these two friends reconnect.

  2. Secrets of the World’s Worst Matchmaker by Piper Rayne
    Colton and Juno are best friends, and have been for a long time. Juno has a job as a matchmaker, and she had fixed Colton up with someone else. Now she’s regretting that choice, and is a bit heartbroken.

  3. Restless Things by Samantha Lovelock

    Sunday and Payne have been friends since they were small children. They’ve been through a lot together, and know each other’s secrets. Now though, they are both starting to feel that pull towards wanting more. But yet they are fighting it. Or at least Sunday is. *note that this is book 3 in an on-going series. While it is the start of Sunday and Payne’s story, it is best that you start from the beginning with Fragile Things.


Best Friend’s Sibling

This trope is also known as Brother’s Best Friend, but sometimes there is a role reversal, so I like to change the wording ever so slightly. The Best Friend’s Sibling trope is just what it sounds like, one of our characters is falling for the brother or sister of their best friend. 


Now I can’t lie, when I was a teenager, I wanted this to happen. I wanted to fall for one of my brother’s friends, and I wanted it reciprocated. It is what it is. But that isn’t what happened in my life, and I am perfectly okay with that. I’m more than happy with my workplace romance. (which yes, is another trope.) I honestly think that teenage desire is what sparked my love of this trope. Plus it’s just such a Hallmark Movie waiting to happen. Ya know?


I have plenty of examples I could offer, but I’ll stick to three.

  1. Gravity by KL Jessop

    Gray is best friends with Nora’s big brother. He has been fighting this attraction for years now. After all there is quite the age gap happening, and he’s worried about what others will think. Especially his best friend.

  2. Southern Heart by Natasha Madison

    Mayson is suddenly in town, and arrives at his best friend’s house severely injured. When he arrives Chelsea is there taking care of the kids, and is scared out of her mind. But her medical training kicks in, and she ends up saving Mayson’s life. Ethan isn’t too sure about this relationship, and he really does not want his little sister with one of his friends.

  3. Home Game by Lisa Suzanne

    Oh Luke and Ellie! Ellie has recently moved to Vegas after being fired from her previous job. The timing is perfect because her brother is about to get married. The night before the wedding, Ellie meets Luke, and they have a one night stand. Or what should be a one night stand. As Ellie quickly finds out, Luke is her brother’s best friend. Luke is also the guy who she’s about to move in with.


Second Chance Romance

This trope just pulls at my heartstrings. Our main characters have been in a relationship together previously, but something didn’t work out for various reasons. Now though, they’ve grown. They’ve changed. They haven’t forgotten the other person, and they want them back. And these stories tell us how they end up achieving their happily ever after.


I think the reason I enjoy the second chance romance trope so much is because most of us have been there. The relationship has ended, but you’re not ready for it to be done. You can still see yourself with the other person, and you’d love nothing more than to get back together with them. You feel that connection, and you can see them as your forever person. The other reason I enjoy it so much is because of Hallmark movies. I can’t lie, I freaking love those movies. The cheesier the better. What can I say, I just love a good happily ever after!


Here are three book recommendations for the Second Chance Romance trope.

  1. Rules for Dating Your Ex by Piper Rayne

    Sedona and Jameson were high school sweethearts. They couldn’t imagine being without the other person. But when they moved to New York, something changed in their relationship. Feelings were hurt. Hearts were broken. Now Sedona has returned to Alaska, and she’s trying to mend her broken heart. It is going okay until the day that Jameson shows up.

  2. Southern Chance by Natasha Madison

    Kallie and Jacob were deeply in love. They thought they would be together forever. That is until prom night when Jacob left with Savannah. That night, Kallie’s heart was shattered. Now it is many years later, and Kallie is returning home. Jacob is now the chief of police, and he will be impossible to avoid. Everyone in town knows their history. Now they will get to witness these two reconnect, but can they get their HEA?

  3. Roped Tight by Kim Loraine

    Sam and Tucker met as teenagers. Sam was just starting to figure out who he is, and he was suddenly swept off his feet by Tucker. But Sam was having issues with it. He didn’t want his sexuality out there for others to know, and announcing he and Tucker were a thing would be doing just that. Tucker came to the Ryker Ranch to work as a ranch hand, and quickly became like family. He and Sam had an amazing night together, and then Sam left town. Now it’s years later, and Sam has returned to the ranch. These two are about to have the opportunity for a second chance, but will they take it?


There you have it friends, those are my top 3 favorite romance tropes! As you can see they all fall into that Hallmark movie scenario, and I’m not complaining one bit. I do love a Hallmark movie from time to time. Do you have a preferred trope? If so, tell me about it. Also, if you’re up to it, what book do you recommend to go with it?


Thank you for reading my thoughts,

Laura