Monday, April 24, 2023

What I Read Last Week

Happy Monday! 

Last week went by in a flash. Honestly my nose was in my kindle for the majority of it. Or at least it seems that way. Also, I can say with confidence that my minor reading slump is officially over. HOORAY!


Why do I say that? Well I read 8 books last week. Four of them were read in 2 days. I know. Trust me. I know. I also ignored all daytime responsibilities, okay after dinner responsibilities as well, to accomplish that. I regret nothing.

What did you read last week? Any standouts? Any duds? Have you read any of the books I've mentioned below?

Hope you have a great reading week!
Laura



Saving the Single Dad by Ashley Munoz


I had been waiting for this book since the ending of Nora and Colson's story! I just knew that I was going to fall for Haley and Liam, and I was 100% right. Now don't take that to mean I didn't find flaws or have issues with the story, because I did. It was just these two characters, Liam's daughters, and the setting that I enjoyed oh so much. It's brother's best friend, single dad and the nanny, billionaire, opposites attract, and it's also an age gap. So many fabulous tropes! While I loved the romance, and this new family relationship, I struggled with some of Liam's choices. I could not fully wrap my head around the things he did, and I would have appreciated his perspective on that. Even if it was just an out take to know where his head was at. The business deal was another area that had my head spinning. His pride was overpowering this opportunity. Then there's the situation with his ex-wife, which was heartbreaking. Especially the things that were revealed regarding the kids. That was difficult to read about, but I also know that it happens in real life. At the end of the book I was happy for the HEA, happy that these kids love Haley so much, and I also loved the scene with Haley toward the end offering what she did. Ashley Munoz's storytelling gets me each and every time. I adore the characters she creates, the settings, as well as the stories. Looking forward to whatever comes next!

Wolf Hotel by KA Tucker

4, 4, 3.5, 4
I devoted an entire post to this that went live on Friday. If steamy, forbidden, workplace romances are something you enjoy, then consider this series. Abbi and Henry's relationship was interesting, and Abbi definitely learned a lot. Also, I read this series in 2 days. I regret nothing.

Pucking Ever After v1 by Emily Rath




I absolutely loved Pucking Around. I gave that 5 stars, and was fully invested in the lives of Rachel, Jake, Caleb, and Ilmari. So when Emily Rath announced Pucking Ever After volume 1, I knew I had to give it a read. Now if you're not in Emily's facebook group, or don't follow her on social media, then you might not know that these are essentially outtakes, or bonus chapters. Therefore it's a lot of jumping around, and from different points of view. While I enjoyed catching up with the characters, this wasn't what I wanted. I would have preferred a novella set after the book. That being said, it is what it is. The content was decent. I still love the characters, and the family they've created. Will I read another bonus scenes/outtakes book for this group? Eh, probably not.

Wicked Fall by Sawyer Bennett

I picked up this book because I heard it was similar to the Salacious Players Club. While the "setting" and "theme" is similar, that's about it. The brother's best friend trope definitely helped this book, but it still wasn't my favorite. Woolf didn't capture my attention, but Callie did. I found myself really liking her, and the journey she was on. Yet something was missing for me, and I cannot fully put it into words. That being said, I did like that it was set in Wyoming, and had a bit of a ranch/cowboy vibe to it. I have the remaining books from the series on my kindle, but I don't know if I'll revisit The Wicked Horse any time soon. Time will tell.

Excalibur by Anna Hackett

It's Bram's story!!! This man has been broody for a while now, and everyone figured it must have been over a woman. It wasn't until the end of Steel that we found out who that woman is. Excalibur picks up right then and there. Also, the suspense kicks up shortly there after. Like the other Sentinel Security books, this one is filled with action, suspense, romance, and steam. I could not get enough, as per usual, and continue to fall for all of these characters. Loved the tropes of second chance and surprise pregnancy. The set up for the next book was also so good. I was hoping it was going to be those two together, and I look forward to reading Hex when it comes out in June.




Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Also thank you to Ashley Munoz and Anna Hackett for providing me with advanced copies of your books.