Monday, May 1, 2023

What I Read Last Week


It's the start of a new week! So that means it's time to recap what I read last week.

Last week was decent. I mean reading wise it was top notch. It was life that threw a few hiccups into the mix. When it came to my books, I read five. That seems to be my usual, and I'm good with that. One thing I do want to say is that all five that I read were advanced copies. So I received these books to help promote. That doesn't affect my feelings toward the stories though. That is always 100% honest.

There was a 5 star read this week! If you've been around for a bit, you know I don't give out 5s very often. For me to give 5 stars it has to be as close to perfect as possible. That being said it's also a bit of a gut feeling. While I'm reading I pay attention to how I feel, how the story is flowing, how the characters (side and main) are written, and just how invested I am. Add those things to the gut feeling, and it all adds up to 5 stars.

How was your reading week? Any 5 star reads? Any new favorites? Tell me about them.

Thanks for reading,
Laura


Vow of Revenge by P Rayne


I never realized that I needed a college mafia romance series, but here we are. P Rayne's debut was absolutely riveting. Mira is a strong female lead who is determined to shake things up in the mafia world. She wants to be seen as an equal, not an accessory. Then there is her betrothed who was thought to be dead. Mira doesn't want to marry Marcelo, but she doesn't have a choice. The way that relationship built was perfection. I loved the friendships that were in this book. I loved the connection even though they were rivals. Could not put this book down. Then there was the suspense that kicked in! That was my absolute favorite. Every single thing that happened in that part of the storyline was irresistible. Kudos to P Rayne on this book, and I cannot wait to read more in the series.

Break the Girl by Rachel Jonas & Nikki Thorne


Break the Girl was my introduction to Rachel and Nikki's storytelling, and I will be reading more from them. The blurb intrigued me, as did the tropes. I will say that I wasn't prepared for Break the Girl to end with a cliffhanger. So I might have yelled a bit, and then quickly looked up a release date for book two. I loved this story, and I cannot wait to find out what happens next. Stevie immediately had my curiosity as I wondered what she had experienced before transferring to Bradwyn. That woman has been through a lot in her life, and is still healing from it all. Then there are the guys that are now in her life, whether she wants them to be or not. Vince, Ash, and Micah command attention, know what they want, and are not afraid to go for it. I fell hard for them.

When I Come Home by Maisie Myers

When I Come Home was my first book by Maisie Myers. With everything that was going on between Thea and Cole I was just fascinated. I found myself wanting to know more. Needing to see how this was all going to play out. What sort of drama was going to pop up in the third act to cause separation? Not only that, but what happened six years ago that had Thea not wanting to return home? Between the revelation of what happened six years ago, and then with the third act break up, my jaw dropped a few times. I can honestly say that this is the first time, in a while, where I haven't been able to ping the dramatic moments. This second chance romance is one that I will not soon forget. While it took me a bit to get fully invested in the story, once that did happen I didn't want to put my kindle down until the final moment was over. Looking forward to continuing with this series.

Iced Out by Veronica Eden


Hockey romances are an obsession of mine. While professional hockey is my preference, college can be enjoyable as well. Iced Out was definitely one that I could not get enough of. Maya and Easton were amazing. I loved the banter between these two. I loved the connection that they had. It really did start off quite well, and their meet-cute was memorable. I loved witnessing their relationship grow. What I was not expecting was for emotional moments to happen. Now I am an emotional person to begin with, so maybe it just hit different for me. Yet those scenes had me tearing up. My heart broke for Maya, as well as for Easton. I appreciated the hockey to romance ratio. Getting to see Easton and his team on ice, and the bond they had was fantastic. I was also glad to see Maya have a friend group in her corner, and see her apart from Easton. I cannot wait for more books in this series! I'm hooked on the Heston U Hotshots!

Lost to the Moon by Meg Anne & K Loraine

It's over. I don't want it to be over. Throughout the course of the, 5 books in this, series I have fallen head over heels for the characters. Pan is my favorite. Sorry not sorry. He's right up there with Alex from the War quartet. I refuse to choose between those two. I shan't. Lost to the Moon had so much happening, as it should since it's the finale. I can't really talk about anything that happened either because of spoilers. Just know that the questions you may have had get answered. Plus there is that epic battle between our group and Pestilence. What a time that was! I love the family that Rosie has found for herself, and how all of her mates are proud to be part of it. Now it's time for Death or Famine to show off what chaos they have in store. It's going to be a wild ride that much I know, and I look forward to every moment of it.



Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Also, thank you to the authors who provided me with advanced copies of their books.