Monday, September 7, 2020

Reading Memories: The Beginning

Back in 1982, my paternal Grandpa gifted me a collection of pop-up books. I was all of 4 years old, and I loved flipping through the pages, and getting my hands on the pop-ups. 

I know, I'm old, and so are the books I'm talking about. 🤣 

Now, I honestly do not remember all the titles, or what the covers looked like, but I do remember they were fairy tales, the spine of the book was along the long edge, and the book opened upward rather than to the side. 


Oh how I wish I still owned them. After all those books are my first book related memory. Plus it brings back the few memories I have of my Grandpa.



I have consulted with Google on numerous occasions, and these pictures have always grabbed my attention. I figure there must be a reason, and my reason is that they must be similar to what my Grandpa had given to me. These are three of the pop-up books that I found. Thanks Etsy sellers! (images link to the listing)




Ahh memories.

Another book that I remember having, and flipping through regularly is this ⬇️

My World of Fairy Tales

I am happy to say that this book is still in my possession. That being said, I am keeping it away from my kids. I will read it with them, but it will not go on their bookshelves. Quite honestly, knowing my 4 year old, the book would end up destroyed. While I know I could repurchase a copy of the book, I'm just not ready to hand over my copy.

My World of Fairy Tales contains 23 stories, and it is filled with beautiful illustrations. These are a few I snapped from my copy of the book.

From Snow-White and Rose-Red
Illustrated by Mary Dinsdale
The Little Mermaid
Illustrated by John Speirs

Little Tom Thumb
Illustrated by G & S Tourrett


As you can see, I clearly had a thing for fairy tales. 🤣  Oh who am I kidding, I still do.

Would you believe that these are the only books I remember from before I was 6 years old? Because they are. I mean I'm sure there were others, there had to be, but I sure don't remember them.

This was a fun walk down memory lane. 
I cannot wait to revisit the books I read when I was a beginning reader. (and then of course there is the Sweet Valley and Baby Sitters Club years) 😍

What are your first book memories? Do you still own those books? Or have you re-purchased?

Happy Reading,