Friday, September 11, 2020

Remembering



Where were you? It is the question that is asked every year on this date. And for good reason. We shouldn't forget the horrific events that occurred 19 years ago. Not just the event of course, but the people who lost their lives, the people who showed up to do whatever they could to help, and how our country ultimately came together in mourning, and in healing.

To answer the question, 19 years ago I was at work. I had graduated from college in May, and this was my first full time job! I was working with my (step) family at the invitation/stationary division. At the time of the first attack I was more than likely in the process of packaging up an order for one of our customers. We always had music going in the warehouse, and I remember someone turning the music off, and sharing the news about what was going on in New York. I remember someone turning the radio on so we could listen, and I also remember being in shock about what was being discussed. Meanwhile, my Stepdad drove home to get a TV so we could all watch what was happening. That day many of us were numb, nervous, and just on edge. 

Around lunch time I remember there was talk of something potentially happening in downtown. My immediate worry was for my Mom who worked in the heart of downtown. Thankfully that talk was nothing more than rumors. Like I said, everyone was on edge. That night, and for many nights to come, I was glued to the news.

In the days and weeks to come, our company created notepads that we sold. If I recall correctly, a portion of the sales went to various charities. I remember those products flying off our shelves, and on to the shelves of our retailers. 

It was a somber time for our country. Together we worked on healing. From the reading of the names, to tv commercials, to songs inspired by the events; all of this bonded us. We weren't a country divided, we were together, and we were becoming stronger.

If you know the creator of this graphic, please let me know.
I found it via Piper Rayne's facebook page.




Today my heart is with the families who lost loved ones on this date. May they feel the love that many are directing their way.