Monday, January 11, 2021

Weekly Wrap Up


The first full week of 2021 is officially in the books, and what a week it was! I think my eyes were glued to Twitter for more hours than I'd care to admit. (and we all know I'm, unfortunately, not talking about books.)

As for my reading this week, well this is where my illness messed with my reading time. Like I said last week, I was dealing with exhaustion and body aches. So I was passed out for the first few days of the week. It is what it is, and thankfully whatever bug I had did not affect anyone else in my family. From January 3 through January 9, I managed to read 4 books



So what did I read? One new release, one book from my local library, one 2020 release that was provided to me by the author, and the fourth was an ARC for one of my anticipated January reads(the ARC was also author supplied.)

Let's start talking books!

My first read of the week was High Risk Rookie by Odette Stone. Now if you're in her Facebook group, you already know that this book has been HIGHLY anticipated. Odette would be asked multiple times daily when High Risk Rookie was coming out. On January 2 the Vancouver Wolves fandom gasped, and then ran to Amazon to purchase the much anticipated book.


Now if you're a hockey romance fan, and you've read the first three books in the Vancouver Wolves series, then go read this book! Well technically you don't have to read the first three books, but it gives you backstory on some of the other characters. Plus if you've read those books, then you know who Krista is. Krista is given a mission to fly to Mexico, find Levi Ziegler, and bring him back to Vancouver. Scouts say he is an amazing hockey player, but off the ice he has issues. Trouble seems to just follow him It doesn't really matter though because the Wolves are interested. Can Krista convince Levi to go back to Vancouver with her? If so, can she keep this rookie in line? Could he sign a contract with the Wolves, and become a professional hockey player? Can what happened in Mexico, stay in Mexico? 

You are probably waiting for me to say that I loved this book, and I totally did. I was all in, and could not get enough. Plus there is a bit of a mystery to be solved as you read. Who is messing with Levi's career? There are a handful of options, that's for darn sure. Oh, and Krista's family is the worst. 

Next, I decided to go with what I thought would be a cute, geeky romance novel. I was expecting something along the lines of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, or even Geekerella by Ashley Poston. Believe me, those two books were ah-maz-ing. I fully embrace my geeky tendencies, and love my fandoms, so needless to say, I had pretty high expectations for Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade. I mean, how could I not? Spoiler Alert if fandom based, it mentions fanfiction, and it's a romance. It's three of my favorite things!


All that being said, something was a miss for me with this book. I loved that April is a professional, yet geeky, plus sized woman who is confident in who she is. She owns who she is, and the interests that she has. As for Marcus, he is an actor on a popular TV show, but struggles with his identity. Plus imagine being an actor who is writing fanfiction for his own show? LOVE IT.  Plus both these characters are closer to my age, and so that is relatable. I also loved the relationship that April and Marcus had online, and in person. 

I think the aspect of the book that I didn't like, was all the excess. There were parts of the show written in, then add in the snippets of their fanfiction stories, and then even the message board communication between April, Marcus, and others in the community. I mean, I love all those things, but there was too much of it for me. A story every few chapters, or a message written into the chapter, that would have been better in my mind. The scenes though while Marcus is filming? Where it is like a recap of the script? That I could have done with out. That's just me though! Ultimately I did enjoy the story, but it was just okay.

My third book was a surprise read. Paula Dombrowiak had reached out to me on Instagram, and asked if I might be interested in reading her debut novel. After heading over to Amazon to read the blurb for Blood and Bone, I decided to go for it. Paula then sent the file to my kindle, and I was all set.


Now there is so much I want to say about Blood and Bone, but I also don't want to ruin the story! In these pages we learn Jack's side of how the band Mogo came to be. We follow the band's rough beginnings, their rise to fame, Jack's substance abuse issues, relationships (pregnancy, marriage, dating, infidelity), and ultimately the breakup. We also learn about the song writing that Jack has collaborated on with Mia Stone, and how personal their songs are. All of this comes out when journalist Erin Langford arrives on the scene. She came to write a story on Jack, and it ends up being so much more than that. After a situation with her boss, Erin cannot move forward with the article. She's devastated. Ultimately though she preservers, and what was once an article is now a book. Can Jack heal his relationship with his daughter, Hayley? Can they find common ground? What happens with Jack and Mia? Jack and Amber? Cash and Mia? 

This book alternates between time periods, and it just felt right. I DM'd Paula and told her that Blood and Bone was giving me major Evelyn Hugo vibes, with a little Daisy Jones mixed in. So if you are a fan of those two books, pick up Blood and Bone. Oh and good news, there is a second book coming that will follow Hayley's story! Now I just need to wait until the end of November to get my hands on that. 

My last read for this week was Connectivity 2.0 by Aven Ellis. It doesn't release until January 27, but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an e-ARC. (thanks Aven!) When one of your favorite authors say "hey who would like an ARC for review?" you know my answer. 🤣


Connectivity 2.0 is the second book in the British Isles Billionaires series, and here we are introduced to Lauren and Oliver. Lauren has been accepted into an internship program in London where she will be working side by side with Mary Kate Cumberland! MK is someone that Lauren looks up to, and to say Lauren is excited for this adventure is a bit of an understatement. When Lauren gets on the plane she is shocked when someone wants to change seats with her! Upon arriving up in FIRST CLASS (!), Lauren sits down next to a stunningly handsome man. After a long flight filled with conversation, Lauren mentions her internship, and it is then that she learns the true identity of the man sitting next to her. He is the one and only Oliver Pratt, the famous billionaire who just sold his business to William Cumberland! There's an issue though as he initially told her that his name was something else. So it causes a fight between the two. Flash forward to the first day of work, and Lauren finds herself getting "introduced" to Oliver. Even though the two have hit it off, Lauren cannot get over the fact that he lied to her. 

Now I want to tell you more, but I also don't want to ruin the story for you. What I will tell you is that I literally laughed out loud a few times. I also swooned, and aww'd. These characters, I tell ya, they are my kind of people. 

Here's what I posted on Instagram:
From their initial meeting, to the first date that wasn't a date, to the helicopter ride, to Lauren fixing Oliver a plate (if you know, you know), and the dates that lead us up to the scene at Big Ben, I have had a gigantic smile upon my face.
The Big Ben scene could have been so romantic, but this was where the relationship issue pops up and shreds any chance of romance. Oh my heart. 

Read Connectivity 1.0 and 2.0! Fall for the characters, and then try not to hound Aven about when 3.0 will be available. I mean she teased Aoife and Jack's relationship, so we know we're getting another book in the series! (my gut tells me we're looking at 2022 for this book, if we're lucky. Oh how I hope we don't have to wait until 2023.)

What books did you read last week? Anything I might enjoy? I'm always open to book recommendations. 🙂 No matter what, I hope you enjoyed what you read, and that it has you searching out more from the author.

Happy Reading,



What Laura's Reading participates in the Amazon Affiliates Program.
Purchases made via links above may result in a small commission earned.