Friday, January 8, 2021

Only One Night {a book review}



On Tuesday, January 5, Natasha Madison's latest book was released, and it was one that I had been eagerly anticipating! For those who may not know, Only One Night is the third book in her Only One hockey series. This series launched in September 2020, and is slated to wrap up in February 2021 with the release of Only One Touch

In Only One Night, we are finally getting Manning's story! We've heard bits and pieces of his situation, but did not know all of it. If you're anything like me, you were probably hoping Manning's story would have been the second book in the series. I think the wait was worth the wait. 

Here's the teaser from Amazon:

Manning
As captain of the Dallas Oilers, I was their leader on and off the ice. From the outside, it looked like I had the perfect life.
I didn’t.
I was married to a woman who refused to give me a divorce. All she wanted was the status title, and all I wanted was to be set free.
It was supposed to be just another event, except it took a turn I didn’t see coming.
Evelyn
Attending my best friend’s bachelorette party isn’t something I was looking forward to.
But it’s strange what a couple of glasses of wine will do.
It was one night, and I thought I would never see him again.
Especially not coming face-to-face with him and his wife while picking up my nephew from hockey practice.
All it takes is one kiss, one touch, one chance, and only one night.


Things we learned in the previous two books:

  • Manning is Captain for the Dallas Oilers hockey team.
  • He is a dad to a young child. 
  • His marriage has been having issues for years.
  • He feels stuck in his marriage to Murielle.
  • Manning has a strong dislike of social media, and is very private.
In Only One Night we learned EVERYTHING! I mean that should be obvious since it's Manning's story. There is so much I want to say, but I can't because I don't want to ruin the story for you! What I can tell you, is that you'll get your Happily Ever After ending.






1) Manning. 

That should just be obvious by now. This man has captured my attention since the beginning. He is dedicated to his team. He loves his son, Jaxon. He is trying his best to live a life outside the bright lights of a professional athlete. 
 

2) The Dallas Oilers.

From the owner, to the players, they are more than just a team, they are a family. That  is everything. No matter who you are, support in your life is necessary. Surrounding yourself with people who you care for, who encourage you, who challenge you, who help you grow, that is what so many of us need.

3) How Evelyn perserveres

Her ex could have destroyed her emotionally. Yet here she is moving on with her life. She's left her life in Chicago, and has returned home. She has her own support structure in her family and friends. She is an excellent business woman, and she knows how to get things done. 

4) Evelyn & Manning's relationship

Do I even need to say anything else about this? I could also add in the relationship that Evelyn has with Jaxon. She takes his feelings into consideration. 

5) How the entire situation with Murielle played out.

 Oh how I want to explain further, but spoilers. 

 



This is hard for me. I truly enjoyed the story, after all I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. So you'd think the book was flawless. That being said there are two things I didn't enjoy. The first should be obvious. (plus I mentioned it in my reading wrap up.)

1) Infidelity.

Listen, I get it, he's in a loveless marriage. He's asked for a divorce, and his wife refused. Yet at the same time, I can't look past cheating on your spouse. (and yes, we learn that this is happening with both parties, so it isn't one sided.) 

My second item isn't about the book itself, but rather the promotion of the book.

2) Book promo is referring to Manning as a single dad. 

He isn't. Not in the true sense of the word. Yes, he and Murielle are basically living separate lives while living in the same house. But that isn't the same as being a single dad. To me that means that either Mom is out of the picture due to death, giving up parental rights, abandonment, or the parents are not together due divorce, break up, etc. Manning and Murielle are not divorced. They are still married. Even if it is just in name alone. (obviously I have strong feelings about this, even though it probably doesn't matter to most.)


I loved this story, and Manning's story played out just about how I had expected it to. Although if I'm being honest, in the back of my mind I had wondered if it was going to end up being a second chance romance. I thought maybe just maybe Murielle would become a changed woman, and their marriage would improve. It clearly wasn't, and I am more than fine with that.  

Now I wait for February 9th, and the release of Only One Touch. We learned at the end of Only One Night that Nico has gotten married, but now we'll get more info on that. Also, I'm not ready for the series to end. My only hope is that Natasha Madison stays in Dallas for another 4 books! After all that's what she essentially did with the Something So and  This Is and series.  

Have you read any of Natasha Madison's books? If you're into sports romance, start with the Something So series, then head to her This Is series, and then get to know the players from Only One. It's worth it. 

Happy reading,


What Laura's Reading participates in the Amazon Affiliates Program.
Purchases made via links above may result in my earning of a small commission.