Monday, January 4, 2021

Amazon First Reads {January}




If you're an Amazon Prime member, you may or may not know of this little perk associated with your account. Each month, the First Reads program allows you to download an upcoming new release. Yes, these are selected titles, but still it's a "free" book and you may just end up enjoying it. 

I remember one of my very first selections from July 2019. That month we were allowed to pick two books as well, and to be honest I still haven't read my second selection. I do vividly remember A Fire Sparkling by Julianne Maclean! It is predominantly a historical fiction set during World War II, but it also brings you back to current times as well. We bounce back and forth like that because we are learning about Vivian Hughes, and her life living in Britain during that time. Oh my word, so good.  In August 2019 I had selected a psychological thriller called Here to Stay by Mark Edwards, and it was FABULOUS. The ending completely tripped me up, and I was not expecting it at all. Definitely a must read. And if you know me, you know that this isn't a usual genre read for me, but I don't regret my choice one bit. 

For the month of January, Amazon First Reads is letting us pick TWO books to download. Heck ya!

So what are the options? Well, honestly there are nine fabulous picks, so remember you get to pick two. 

If you like suspense, go with The Shadow Box by Luanne Rice

If you like contemporary, then Hadley and Grace by Suzanne Redfearn would be a great option.

Are you a fan of thrillers? Look at Not One Of Us by Debbie Herbert.

Oh you want historical fiction? Then you're looking for West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge

Want another thriller option, but with some espionage mixed in? Definitely check out Water Memory by Daniel Pyne

For literary fiction, First Reads is offering up Gerta by Katerina Tuckova

Looking for Nonfiction, yep got you covered with a memoir! Widowish by Melissa Gould sounds like it will be a good, yet emotional read. 

There's a global fiction option as well in The Ardent Swarm by Yamen Manai

Last, but certainly not least, there is a picture book option! Sadie Sprocket Builds a Rocket by Sue Fliess sounds like a cute story, so join Sadie and head off to Mars!





Think you know which two I selected? Tell me below! Maybe I'll surprise you with my selections. But maybe, just maybe, you'll have guessed it easily.

I'll tell you this, I am wishing I had chosen a different book for one of my choices. Having reread the descriptions, yeah, I know which one I'll be paying money for!

Which books are you going to choose? Tell me! 

Happy Reading,


What, did you think I'd leave you hanging? I could never do that. 🙂 My choices for January were Widowish, and Hadley & Grace. Did you guess correctly? If I could re-select though, I'd keep Hadley & Grace, but swap in Water Memory. Seriously, go read the description for Water Memory and tell me it doesn't sound fabulous!




What Laura's Reading participates in the Amazon Affiliates program.
So any purchases made via links in the post, may result in a small commission for me.