Monday, February 15, 2021

Weekly Wrap Up

 



Hello my fellow book lovers! Hope your week was amazing, and filled with wonderful books. Last week for me was terrific. I enjoyed all the books that I read, and that made me happy.

Let's talk stats really quick.

I read:
  • 5 books
  • 3 were physical books (library loans)
  • 2 were e-books
  • 1 of them was an e-arc
  • 4 were sports romance
  • 1261 Pages
I gave each of them 4 stars. Although I will say one of them I went back and forth on. It was this close to being a 5 star read.

Intercepted by Alexa Martin

This was my first book of the week, and I freaking loved it. LOVED IT. I did a story on Instagram and said this book had the potential to be a 5 star read. And it did, but of course in the last third of the book I changed my prediction. Honestly I'm still on the fence. As I sit more with my thoughts, I might change my Goodreads rating. Also, I want to buy this series, and I'm not talking the kindle version. Nope, I want the physical copies!


Intercepted is the first book in the Playbook series, and in this series all of our heroines have relationships with professional football (NFL) athletes. Intercepted follows the relationship between Marlee and Gavin. I want to say that this is a second chance romance, and in a way it is. Except the first time Marlee and Gavin were together it was for a one night stand. So can that still be considered second chance? Anyway. A frequent occurrence in Intercepted is Gavin coming to Marlee's rescue. And believe me, she's not happy about it. Marlee knows she can fight her own battles, and she reminds Gavin of this fact.

This book was so good, and I want more of these characters. Okay plus I kind of want to be friends with the Lady Mustangs. Well at least Marlee and her portion of the group. 

Curious about the book? Here's the blurb:
Marlee thought she scored the man of her dreams only to be scorched by a bad breakup. But there's a new player on the horizon, and he's in a league of his own...

Marlee Harper is the perfect girlfriend. She's definitely had enough practice by dating her NFL-star boyfriend for the last ten years. But when she discovers he has been tackling other women on the sly, she vows to never date an athlete again. There's just one problem: Gavin Pope, the new hotshot quarterback and a fling from the past, has Marlee in his sights. 

Gavin fights to show Marlee he's nothing like her ex. Unfortunately, not everyone is ready to let her escape her past. The team's wives, who never led the welcome wagon, are not happy with Marlee's return. They have only one thing on their minds: taking her down. But when the gossip makes Marlee public enemy number one, she worries about more than just her reputation. 

Between their own fumbles and the wicked wives, it will take a Hail Mary for Marlee and Gavin's relationship to survive the season.
Oh and apparently this book series might be a tv series. If so, I am watching!
My second read should be of no surprise! After all, if you know me, you know I love a good series. So naturally after finishing Intercepted, I had to roll into Fumbled. I questioned if Intercepted was a second chance romance, but let me tell you, Fumbled definitely is! Again, loved this book. It was a solid 4 star for me, and everything just felt right.


Oh there is so much I want to tell you about Poppy and TK, but at the same time I don't want to spoil any of the book. So let's just go with this: They were high school sweethearts. Poppy got pregnant and her parents kicked her out. Her Aunt had her move in with her. Meanwhile TK knew nothing. He just knew that the person he loved up and left. He had no clue why. It wasn't until almost a decade later that they found themselves in the same place. 

The blurb might help explain things a bit better:
Single-mother Poppy Patterson moved across the country when she was sixteen and pregnant to find a new normal. After years of hard work, she's built a life she loves. It may include a job at a nightclub, weekend soccer games, and more stretch marks than she anticipated, but it's all hers, and nobody can take that away. Well, except for one person.

T.K. Moore, the starting wide receiver for the Denver Mustangs, dreamt his entire life about being in the NFL. His world is football, parties, and women. Maybe at one point he thought his future would play out with his high school sweetheart by his side, but Poppy is long gone and he's moved on.  

When Poppy and TK cross paths in the most unlikely of places, emotions they've suppressed for years come rushing back. But with all the secrets they never told each other lying between them, they'll need more than a dating playbook to help them navigate their relationship.
You already know I love this group of friends. Those Lady Mustangs are pretty amazing. Also, Brynn! Can I go visit HERS? I'd really love to. 

Blitzed by Alexa Martin

Yep, you know I read this book next! How could I not?  I'm hooked on this series, and the characters that Alexa Martin has created. Okay fine, I'm also quite fascinated by the Lady Mustangs. 

Blitzed made me happy, and gave me exactly what I wanted.  We get a love story. We get to spend time with the Lady Mustangs, and we get to spend a lot of time at HERS. What more could I ask for?


Brynn is getting her story! AHHHHH! Sorry. I'm just so excited. Since Brynn had appeared in the first two books I was hoping she might get a book of her own. Alexa Martin did not disappoint. Oh what to even say about Blitzed. Let's start with the fact that it's a bit of a slow burn. Maxwell has had his eyes on Brynn for the last FOUR years. Yep. He's been all in for a while now. He finally works up the courage to talk to her, and their first date was spectacular. Maxwell listened to what Brynn said in passing, and created a date based on that.

Description from Goodreads:
According to Brynn Larson, Maxwell Lewis is more trouble than he's worth. She doesn't care if he's a football god with a rock-hard body that brings most women to their knees. After an encounter that ends poorly, she's not interested in giving him a second chance. The last thing Brynn expects is for him to turn up at her bar months later, hat in hand. It doesn't matter if he brings more customers to her business--she's still not going on a date with him.

Maxwell knows he made a mistake. He'd been waiting to make his move on Brynn since the day he laid eyes on her and he was finally ready to go for it until he screwed up. He wishes he could tell her the truth about what happened that night, but he just can't. He can't tell anyone, so he'll make amends and hope she'll forgive him.

Brynn's not like other women, though. Playing for the Mustangs doesn't impress her and gifts make her scoff. Max will have to bring his A game if he hopes to win her over.
 

Blitzed made me fall more in love with this series. I cannot wait to see who Snapped is about, and also find out if there will be more books in the series. Oh how I hope there will be!

Second Chance Sweetheart by Charity Ferrell

I know what you're thinking. Laura, this isn't Snapped! You're right it isn't. My library didn't have that one available, but I have put in a request for it.

That being said, my fourth read of the week was Second Chance Sweetheart. This is a sweet novella that takes place in Sweetheart, Colorado. Now I say it's sweet, but this novella definitely has some steam as well. These two high school sweethearts went their separate ways due to career choices. Carson is back in town for his Dad's wedding, and he has chosen to stay at Nora's B&B. Can Nora forgive him? Will they get back together, or just be friends?



You know I love to share blurbs. So here's the description that is on Goodreads:
They say only two percent of high school sweethearts stay together. 
We thought we were that two percent.
Too bad we were wrong.

Two high school sweethearts.
One heart-shattering breakup.
Now, years later, he’s returned to their small town of Sweetheart, Colorado.
Will it end in more heartbreak, or will they get their second chance at love? 
This book made me smile. It had me chuckling occasionally too (thanks to Nora). I do wish it were a full length story, but it is what it is. If you're looking for a quick read, grab this novella when it releases on February 18. (and no you don't need to read the other books in the series to understand what's happening)

The Sweet Talker by Gina Azzi

My last book of the week one of my Romanceopoly picks! My very first roll for my TBR game landed me on "hockey", and well that's one of my favorites! I had selected The Sweet Talker by Gina Azzi, and I am so glad I did. I went into this book knowing next to nothing. What I knew was that it was the first book in a hockey series, and there was an accidental pregnancy. That's it. That's what I knew.

I fell in love with the characters. Noah and Indy are wonderful together, and I look forward to seeing them appear in future books. But it wasn't just them that I fell for. Oh no, it's Ethan, Austin, Claire, Torsten, Vanny, the parents, all of them. I cannot wait to read more! As much as I am anticipating Ethan and Claire, I am REALLY wanting Torsten's story. I need to know what's happening there.  Seriously. Is it April yet?


Now I know in my Romanceopoly post, I had said this was also a friends to lovers, and I'm not certain about that any more. I mean yes, these two knew each other years ago, but were they really friends? I'm not sure. So for me that trope doesn't fit. That doesn't really matter though. What matters is the relationship that Noah and Indy have now. Oh and I wanted to smack Noah for the shenanigans he pulled. Oh that man. I don't want to say anything else about the book because I'm afraid of spoiling it. 

That being said, here's the description:
Noah Scotch is revered in Boston, a veritable god on the ice. I’m a nerdy, newly minted college professor who would rather color code my planner than hit the club scene. Noah shouldn’t look at me twice but when he does, I falter. 

Who can blame me? 

The sweet talker with the deliciously chiseled abs and sinful chocolate eyes is a force. On and off the ice. One hot and intense night with Noah has me second guessing my lack of a dating life. 

Friends with benefits? He offers, I dive in headfirst. Growing up in a hockey family, I know better than to get serious with a player. 

But the more time I spend getting to know Noah, the more my intention to keep things casual rings false. 

Now, I’ve got a hopeful heart and a baby on the way. 

I just need to tell Noah. But when I do, will I end up with everything I never knew I wanted? Or on my own?
I have a feeling the Boston Hawks series is going to be added to my list of favorite hockey series!

Those are the FIVE books I read last week! What did you read? Have you read any of the books I mentioned?

Oh and a teaser for next week, I have a DNF. That's right I stopped reading a book after about 30%. What book is it? I'm not saying yet. Although if you follow me on Instagram, you already know. 

Have a great week, and happy reading!



Thank you to Wildfire Marketing for an advanced reader copy of Second Chance Sweethearts.
I truly enjoyed the novella, and am now curious about the other books in the series.