Monday, March 1, 2021

Weekly Wrap Up

 


Why hello there March! Glad to see you. Please tell me your friend Spring isn't too far behind you. I'm sick of snow. I want warmer temperatures, and the snow to melt. I don't think it's asking too much. 

Last week was a ridiculous good week for reading. Seriously not my normal, and I do not expect to see it happen again. Here are my stats ⬇️:

              • 8 Books Read
              • 7 E-books
              • 5 E-Arcs
              • 1 Physical Book
              • 1,875 Pages Read
My average rating was 4.5 stars. Which is amazing. 

Not too shabby, am I right? 

Let's jump in and start talking about the books.

Crazy Stupid Bromance

by Lyssa Kay Adams

My first book of the week should not be a surprise. Especially since I read Undercover Bromance last week. It's only natural for me to immediately grab the next in the series. So yes, I read Crazy Stupid Bromance.

Now I'll be honest, this wasn't my favorite of the series. Not by a long shot. (my ranking order is Undercover Bromance, Bromance Book Club, and then Crazy Stupid Bromance.) That being said, it was still a good book. 
 
Crazy Stupid Bromance tells the story of Noah and Alexis. If you read Undercover Bromance, then you know what was revealed about Alexis and her past. You'll also recognize Noah as one of the people that stepped in to help out. Well after all that went down, these two became really close friends. They have similar interests and are the go to friend for each other. So yes, this is a friends to lovers story!  


Both Noah and Alexis have some issues to work through, and this book is about that as well as their relationship. Noah fought the Bromance Book Club tooth and nail about reading a romance book. Finally though, they got him to read the book. Yet at the same time, Noah was thinking the book had more to do with Alexis's life than his. The way Alexis and Noah's story wrapped up was alright. Still not my favorite as I think there was so much more potential. I don't know. I'm still glad I read the book, but this one stays at the bottom of the list. Now I am waiting patiently for the fourth book in the series!

Make It Sweet

By Kristen Callihan

Make It Sweet was my first ARC of the week. When the book appeared on my kindle, I had forgotten why I requested to review and support the release. Then I read the blurb, and it all came back to me. I had requested the book because one of the main characters is a hockey player. I KNOW, I KNOW, I have a obsession problem. 

Lucian is a recently retired professional hockey player who is staying at, his Grandma's (Amalie) estate, the Rosemont. While attempting to heal from the concussion that ended his career, Lucian is busy in the kitchen, as well as doing renovations around the property. One day his Grandma announces that she needs him to go pick up a guest from the airport. The guest is Emma. She was recently written off, the wildly popular TV show, Dark Castle. Not only that, but that same day she walked in on her boyfriend in bed with another woman. So Emma is dealing with heartbreak, as well as being out of a job. Emma's Grandma suggested she head to the Rosemont for a little R&R. Her Grandma is friends with Amalie, so it's no big deal. 


When Lucian and Emma initially meet there is a spark. What happens next in the story builds upon that, and also shows us the journey to both of them healing. We also see them move on with their careers, and figure out what is best for their future.

This love story grabbed me from the beginning. We get to see Emma and Lucian's relationship building, but we also see them grow individually. They are both gaining that confidence to get back out there. Oh and all the baking that Lucian was doing throughout this book, has me googling recipes. Make It Sweet is one of my favorite reads of the month.

My Beautiful Neighbor

by Piper Rayne

If you know me, you know that I ADORE the writing duo that is Piper Rayne. You may also know that I devoured The Bailey Family series, and was slightly bummed when that series came to a conclusion. That being said, Piper Rayne has created a spin-off of that series, and we've moved to a different town in Alaska. We still get to see Dori, which made me oh so happy. We also get to see Dori teaming up with Ethel Greene. In this entire series I can see Ethel taking a page from Dori, and doing everything she can to fix up her grandkids.


My Beautiful Neighbor was such a good read. We meet up with Cade Greene who owns a bar/brewery with his brother Jed. When the owner of the shop next door passes away, the guys are doing whatever they can to get that store! They want to expand their business. Since they are friends with the owner's only daughter, they figure it's not an issue. Well Clara's mom had a secret that very few people knew about, and it's all about to come out at the reading of the will. This information will cause an issue for Cade and Jed's expansion plans. Presley is back in Sunrise Bay for a second time. The first was to bury her Grandma, and now she's saying her final goodbye the Mom she never knew. Presley also wants to get to know her sister, Clara, but is nervous about it. 

I adored this book. From the setting, to the characters, to the Bailey family references, it gave me everything I wanted. Presley is a fantastic woman, and I love that she opened up a bookstore. I would want to do the same thing. Cade comes across as a decent guy who is respected in his community. I will say that his character was missing a little something for my liking. All in all though, I devoured this book, and I am finding myself eagerly anticipating the next book in the series. I cannot wait to find out how everything plays out with the Greene family. I'm also curious to see if the third Grandma is going to be a regular addition with Dori and Ethel. If so, my spidey-sense is tingling, and I wonder if this isn't setting up for another possible spin-off. Only time will tell.

Played by the Rockstar

by Christina Hovland

I love a good rockstar romance! When I started reading, my arc of, Played by the Rockstar I had high hopes. In the end, I was left a bit underwhelmed. I marked in on Goodreads as 4 stars, but really it was more of a 3.5 or maybe a 3.75. I don't think it fully deserved the 4 star rating, but 3 stars seemed too low. So it is what it is.

Linx is a rockstar who is in the band Dimefront. They are currently on hiatus, and Linx has found himself in Colorado trying to keep himself occupied. So he comes to the bar Brek, his former manager now owns, and has decided to hang out here for a while. Brek immediately tells him to leave Becca alone. Brek also knows Becca's past as a groupie for Dimefront. Meanwhile Becca is working at Brek's bar as a waitress, as she is taking a break from her job as a therapist. 


Did I like Played by the Rockstar? Yes I did. It was a quick, and easy read.

Did I like the characters? Yes, I did. Yet at the same time I felt there was a connection missing between Cedric (Linx) and Becca. Their relationship just seemed off, and I can't fully explain it. I will say that I was more intrigued by the "side" characters, and am curious about Bax and Courtney.

Also, the scene at the senior center just felt unnecessary. I mean yes, we witnessed what Becca learned in a later scene, but I really think that entire scene could have been left out. (the senior center scene that is)

It wasn't really until the last few chapters of the book that I was fully invested in the story. There was no way I was stopping until I knew how things ended with Linx and Becca. I also had to know how things played out with Dimefront. 

Now I will say that this was my introduction to Christina Hovland, and perhaps I should have started with the series that this book was a spin off for. Maybe then I would have understood things a bit more, such as the scene at the senior center.

All in all it was a decent book. Will I continue with the series? I don't know. Honestly it depends on when Bax and Courtney get their story, as I'm only sticking around for that. Will I try another book by Christina Hovland, absolutely. 

Home Game

By Lisa Suzanne

Home Game by Lisa Suzanne is the first book in the Vegas Aces series, and I am so thankful to have an ARC of the book. Let me just say, the start of the book had my jaw on the ground. I can't say I've had a book start this way before, but when all is said and done, I liked it. I don't tend to think of myself as a pearl clutcher, but I briefly felt that way. 🤣



This sports romance rom-com starts off with Ellie at her job in Chicago. She is meeting with her boyfriend, in his office, and decides it's time for some office loving. She convinces her boyfriend to go with it, and as they are enjoying themselves, in walks their boss. Needless to say they both get fired, and her boyfriend ends the relationship. 

Later that day, Ellie is telling her brother the story, and he tells her to move to Vegas! After all she doesn't have a job in Chicago any longer, and she doesn't have her boyfriend either. So it's the perfect time for a new beginning. Plus his wedding is quickly approaching, so Ellie is headed to Vegas anyway for that. Heck, her brother even goes so far as to tell her she can move in with his best friend, and teammate, who just so happens to live across the street. He's already cleared it with him! Ellie will move in right after the wedding. (She would have stayed with her brother, but well he's about to be a newly wed, and also his house is undergoing renovation. So it's not possible.)

Ellie arrives in Vegas, and is ready for the bachelorette party! As the night progresses, the bridal party plays Never Have I Ever, and it is revealed that Ellie is the only one in the group who hasn't had a one night stand. They dare her to "join the club" tonight. Ellie isn't sold on the idea, but a bit later she meets Luke. He  seems like a nice guy, and not to mention he is also extremely good looking. One thing leads to another, and well Ellie has joined the club.


Flash forward to the wedding rehearsal. Ellie walks in, and is introduced to the groomsman whom she'll be walking down the aisle with. When he turns around, Ellie's jaw drops. It's the man from the other night! Who she now realizes is her brother's teammate, and also her new roommate. Yep.

Home Game sucked me in, and when it ended I was left wanting more. Especially since it ended in a cliffhanger. It is appearing that Vegas Aces series is all about Ellie and Luke's relationship slash lives. So be prepared for a cliffhanger at the end of books 2, 3, and 4. Hopefully in book 5 the story is wrapped up nicely, and I'm not left with questions. If you enjoy sports romance, the brother's best friend trope, and/or fake dating, pick up this book when it releases on March 4, 2021.


Long Game

by Lisa Suzanne

I was so thankful that I had an ARC of Long Game on hand for when I finished Home Game. SO THANKFUL! I couldn't handle not knowing what happened next with Ellie and Luke.

As we learned in Home Game, Ellie is currently without a job. Or at least she was. Ellie is now the publicist and social media manager for Luke. A scandal has broken out, and Luke is worried about his job with the Aces. He desperately wants his contract renewed, and it's up for renegotiating. This scandal though is putting it in jeopardy. Ellie is doing everything she can to make the powers that be realize they need to keep Luke. Will it work? Who knows. Ellie throws out a possibility to him that could help change things for the better. Ellie suggests they take their fake relationship to the next level, and get married. Just for a year. WHAT?!?


Friends, this slow burn is going to wreck me. And yes, I'm considering it a slow burn. It's clear that Luke wants Ellie, and well Ellie definitely wants Luke, yet he's fighting it tooth and nail. Sure he'll go along with the plans he and Ellie have made, but that's it. So help me if this series doesn't end in an HEA, I will be TICKED. Legit ticked off. The blurb for End Game (book 5) doesn't tell me much, so I have no clue. AHHHHHHHHH

The way Long Game ended though. Ooooh, I need to know what happens next. Is it March 18 yet so I can read Fair Game? (not that I'll be reading it on the 18th, because well that's my wedding anniversary, so I'm hoping for a date night with the hubby. that is if I'm not on a case for jury duty.)

Dancing with a Royal

by Tomi Tabb

At the beginning of February, I had an email from Tomi Tabb asking if I would like to read her book, Dancing with a Royal. After looking it up on Amazon, I decided to say yes. It's a contemporary romance, it involves the royal family, and it was giving me vibes of A Royal Shade of Blue by Aven Ellis. Now I say that, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is an American going falling for someone in the Royal Family. So it just made me think of Clementine and Christian. 

ANYWAYS...Dancing with a Royal introduces us to Clara Little. She is an American Ballerina who was just invited to London to dance in the World Stars of Ballet! They invited her as a last minute replacement, but that didn't matter one bit, Clara was headed to London! When Clara arrives to the airport, there is a bit of a mix up. Not only has her flight been delayed, but due to a VIP being on the flight, she's been pushed back into economy (from business class). While waiting to board, Clara has the opportunity for a little random act of kindness. There is a gentleman in front of her who seems to have lost his wallet. So she decides to pay for his purchase. 

Clara has no clue that it is David Leeds, a member of the royal family, whom she has just assisted. This workaholic is headed back home as fast as he can, as his cousin Eddie (Prince Edward) has called him saying it's an emergency!


Upon arriving in London, Clara is exhausted. She is expected at the theater in a few hours, and she still needs to check into her hotel. Except there is a problem at the hotel when it comes to the room. So Clara hands out for a bit, and finds herself accidentally meeting David. David just happened to be at the hotel meeting Eddie, and discussing his urgent needs. Not too long later, David finds himself assisting Clara, and trying to remedy the situation. After all his cousin caused a little issue (okay big issue) by injuring Clara. Can she still perform in the showcase? David is draw to Clara, and is curious about this woman.

And that is where I stop talking about what the book is about. This is a sweet royal romance, and I loved every single moment of it. The relationship between David and Clara isn't about his title. Clara doesn't care about that. She just wants to get to know David, and see if they can have a future together.

If instalove is your thing, or you like royal romance, read the book! If you're a fan of Aven Ellis, read this book! Of if you're into Ballet romance, then give this book a try! I am looking forward to when Tomi releases the second book in the series. I don't have an ETA for it yet, but once I do, you know it will be on my anticipated reads list for that month.

Roping the Cowboy

by Kennedy Fox

My final book of the week was a novella called Roping the Cowboy. I've been watching Brooke Fox on Tiktok, and she had me really curious about the books that she co-writes! So I went to Amazon, and grabbed this freebie.

Here's a little of the blurb on Goodreads:

An unforgettable one-night stand filled with heat and passion starts the unraveling of a love-hate feud between a small-town baker and an arrogant cowboy.


Yeah, that blurb intro drew me in. I was curious what would happen. I did give this book 3 stars as it didn't fit my 2 star criteria, so a 3 is where it landed. Maybe it should be more like a 2.5. 

Roping the Cowboy had potential to really grab on the enemies to lovers trope, and build something great. Instead there were pranks that were way over the top, and quite honestly cruel. Kat played the first prank, and I get it Braxton hurt her feelings when talking about the bakery items she made, but to do what she did? No. Just no. Then Braxton's return prank? WHAT? Why? Why would you think that is okay? It was all a bit childish in my mind. 



There you have it! Those are the 8 books that I read this week. Now full disclosure, I did start one other book, and set it aside. I haven't determined if I'm going to DNF it yet, or if I'm going to push through. I will say that I'm at 13%, things are not looking good. 

What did you read last week? Anything memorable? Any favorites?

Happy Reading,