Thursday, June 3, 2021

Smoke {a review}



Smoke is the fourth book in the Virtues and Lies series by Alexandra Silva. It is also the first part of Freddie and Georgina's story. You'll have to stay tuned for Flame which is the conclusion of their story, and it releases later this month.

From the few, spoiler free, comments that I've read on Goodreads, it does sound like you should read Virtue and Lies IN ORDER. However, I didn't do that. I KNOW, I KNOW! I'm jumping into the series by reading Smoke first, but I am going to go back and read from the beginning.  I am.  I just promised to have this review out by today, and my schedule didn't allow me to read the first three books prior. So don't do what I did. I don't know if I will write individual reviews for Burn, Scorch, and Blaze here on my blog, or if they will just be on Goodreads. But I should have that figured out soon.

Let me just say, this is a DARK romance with mafia vibes. But it isn't a mafia romance book. Does that make sense?

ANYWAYS...In this book we have Freddie who has been searching high and low for Lucy. While he never specifically says it, she is the woman he loves, and he feels guilty that she is missing. Had he just been on time, maybe she wouldn't have been taken. Fast forward 8 years. Freddie is in a relationship with Georgina. She loves him, but he will never say it back. That's beside the point. One day, out of the blue, Lucy shows up at Freddie's house. She is looking rough, and he takes her to the hospital. Now it's time to try and get some answers as to where she's been, and who took her. Lucy is being tight lipped about it all. Then there is Georgina, the extremely talented ballerina who is hopelessly in love with Freddie. Georgina is also accustomed the world that Freddie is a part of. So she doesn't question things. When a bouquet of flowers is delivered to Georgina, Freddie and company go on high alert. This bouquet has a specific meaning, and someone is coming for her.

As I said above, I stepped into the series not having read the previous three. Honestly I think that's why I struggled a bit while reading. I didn't have the full picture. I didn't know the background of the characters or the group they are up against. So that definitely did not play into my favor. I also think I struggled because I just wasn't in the mood for a dark romance. Yet I did not let those things sway my rating. I still feel that Smoke deserves 4 stars. Now that rating may change once I go back and read Burn, Scorch, and Blaze. Time will tell.

As I read Smoke, my curiosity was definitely piqued. The fact that there is this element of mystery (where was Lucy, who is coming after Georgina) definitely had me wanting to read more. I'm also really curious about the relationship between Freddie and Georgina. Then the fact that the book ends in a cliffhanger? Well geez Louise, just hook me in why don't ya. I need to know what happens next! Thankfully Flame is coming in a couple weeks so I can find out. I'm seriously hoping that Georgina and Freddie get their HEA. Also, what is going to happen with Lucy? Will the villain be defeated or will they escape? I NEED TO KNOW! 

It is my goal to have Burn, Scorch, and Blaze read before Flame comes out. Wish me luck on that. I am hoping there might be a little leeway in my schedule to allow three additional books to be read.

If dark British romances are your thing, then definitely go check out the Virtues and Lies series by Alexandra Silva. Just be sure to start from the beginning. You know, that thing I didn't do. 

Thank you for reading my thoughts,
Laura


Smoke by Alexandra Silva is now live!

One word. One lie. One fear.

My world never stops spinning. It pirouettes from one day to another. Every second spurs me to greatness. I'm living the dream I've chased and fought for my entire life.

Until him.

He sends me off kilter with his icy scowl and cruel demeanour. The more he hurts me the more I want him. I crave him like a drug. Ache for him like a sickness.

I'm his Swan and he is my Lord.

Slowly, the world I ran from becomes the only world I exist in. Dark, twisted and full of monsters lurking in the shadows. Nothing is as it seems. No one is who they seem.

In a world of demons all it takes is

One word. One lie. One fear.

To tear it all apart. It takes something bigger and badder to survive.

My Lord may be the smoke but I'm the fire.
And you know what they say...
You can't have one without the other.

Frederick Emsworth has closed himself off. In a world where your next breath could be your last, he's a living, breathing weapon with no give. Brooding, volatile, and haunted, he has no want for love. Until he's given the job of watching over his best friend's sister. Georgina is fiery, driven, and everything that turns his world upside down. Now he's caught between the ghost of his past, shadows that threaten them at every turn, and a love so consuming that it scorches with hate.



The Smoke and Flame duet is the epic finale to the Virtues & Lies series.



Start the series today and enter the twisted world of the privileged British Elite.

BURN (Leo & Cassie)
SCORCH (Christopher & Arabella)
BLAZE (Casper & Fleur)
SMOKE (Freddie & Georgina)
FLAME (Freddie & Georgina)




Download today or read for FREE with Kindle Unlimited!

Preorder the final book in the Virtues & Lies series for $2.99!

Add the Virtues & Lies series to your TBR:
Burn | Scorch | Blaze | Smoke | Flame


Meet Alexandra


Alexandra Silva is a tequila loving book hoarder. She lives in London with her boys and man, as well as their three cats.

She writes Contemporary Romance and Romantic Suspense. Her stories are raw, heartfelt and sexy. With flawed, dirty talking and sexy as hell heroes, and feisty heroines that give them a run for their money.

Salted Caramel Coconut lattes are a real weakness along with dark, taboo romance and angsty new adult reads.

She blames the classics and a nutty English teacher for her obsession with books and fiction. Come rain or shine with either coffee or wine in hand you can find her with her nose stuck in a book and her head in the clouds.

Connect with Alexandra








Thank you to Alexandra Silva and Grey's Promotions for providing me with an advanced copy of Smoke.