Friday, November 5, 2021

King of Hearts by Ashley Munoz {a review}


King of Hearts, book 2 in the Rake Forge University series by Ashley Munoz is LIVE! Do not miss this arranged marriage romance! Just a heads up, it is recommended that you read Wild Card before reading King of Hearts. So please keep that in mind.

We originally met Taylor and Juan in Wild Card. Taylor is Mallory's sister, and Juan just happens to be Mallory's best friend. They all attended college together at Rake Forge University. Since Mallory, Decker, and Juan all graduated, things have changed. Taylor has changed, and her life is about to change in a major way on her 21st birthday. She needs to find a way to stop what is supposed to happen, while also protecting her baby. Because yes, she's pregnant. And alone. Then there is Juan. He graduated from Rake Forge, signed a contract with a local team, and when his connections were figured out, that contract was gone. So what now? Can he pursue his dreams, or is he destined to be pulled into the family business? What's going on with Taylor? Can he save her?

I went into King of Hearts thinking, oh this will be a cute little college, opposites attract, best friends sibling, sports romance. HAHAHAHAHAHA. NO. NO that is not what this is. What this book is though, is amazing. Yes, it is opposites attract. Yes it is falling for your best friend's sibling. It is also an arranged marriage (not between Taylor and Juan). It is also a mafia romance. And our main characters? Their family businesses are not what you'd expect. Turns out they both have a little darkness in their past. One thing I want to say before I gush about the book. I did not like the Juan the asshole aspect of the storyline. Yes, it helped fill the hate to love trope, but that just didn't seem to fit the Juan we had met in Wild Card. Honestly though, that was the only thing I didn't like. I loved how protective Juan was. I loved how he jumped back into the thing he didn't want in order to change what was planned. I loved how strong Taylor was. How determined she was. She too was protective. Then with how these two finally came together? Fabulous. Oh, and that big showdown? WHAT?!? FANTASTIC.  There is so much more that I want to say, but I don't want to ruin anything either.

I obviously loved the characters.

I also enjoyed the setting. Then there was that storyline that took me completely by surprise. I'm head over heels for that. I am now eagerly anticipating The Joker, because I need more of these characters. It will be interesting to see Mal, Decker, Taylor, and Juan as the side characters in that book, and to find out how they are involved in it all.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on King of Hearts. You need to read this book. You just need to. I can't say any more than that. Read King of Hearts, and then find me so we can talk.

Laura


Failing out of college wasn’t on my dream board.

Neither was getting knocked up.

Just the same, here I am, ready to start another year at Rake Forge University, pregnant and currently homeless.

And it looks like I’m not the only one who’s returned.

Juan Hernandez, my sister’s best friend, saunters through campus with that granite jaw and those raven strands of hair kissing his brow, his whiskey eyes searing everyone to ash.

I’ve avoided him for months, but the second he sees me, the jig is up.

The first thing he does is steal my lips in a ravishing kiss.

A punishment.

The second thing he does is rescue me from sleeping in my car.

A lesson.

Living with him will never work, not with how brash his words are, how hot his constant stare, or how he touches me.

His fingers brand my skin as if he owns me, and on some level, I know he wants to.

What he doesn’t know is that I belong to another man…and come my twenty-first birthday, I’ll return to him whether I want to or not.



Add King of Hearts to your Goodreads TBR!






Grab Wild Card, Book 1 in the Rake Forge University series today!


Coming January 2022


Meet Ashley Munoz

Ashley was born in Nebraska, but raised in Oregon where she lives with her four children and husband. If she's not helping her husband with DIY projects around the house, she's writing or sneaking off to a corner to read.

Connect with Ashley





Hosted by:


Thank you to Ashley Munoz, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced copy of King of Hearts.