Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Love You Better by Brit Benson {a review}

 Love You Better is a sweet and sexy standalone, best friends to lovers, second chance romance. Its got heart, heat, and an HEA sure to make you swoon. It is the first standalone in the Better Love series.

When I started reading Love You Better, I knew I was getting a friends to lovers romance. I was excited for it. What I was not expecting was the emotional journey that Ivy was going to take us on. I knew she had gone through something, but I wasn't certain what that something was. Well that's not 100% honest. I had an idea in the back of my head, but it matched up with what was revealed. Then there was also the couple of side stories happening, and those touched my heart as well.

That instant connection that Ivy and Kelley had when they first met, and how Kelley was determined to be her friend. Then watching them grow together as friends, realize there is an attraction there, and then doing whatever they can NOT to act upon it (until many years later), and seeing how it was just Ivy that Kelley befriended, but it was also her little brother, just had me loving it all.

Now that Ivy and Kelley are in college, they still have that close friendship, but things have definitely changed. Ivy has gone through a traumatic experience that continues to affect her life. Most days she's okay, but every so often memories surface. (cw: sexual assault) As for Kelley, after a rough couple of years where he lost his scholarship, he has changed also. He's grown up, and continues to realize that Ivy is his person. She's his forever.

This book isn't just about these two coming together, and finally getting their HEA though. Oh no. There is also a little side story regarding Kelley, and one of the students in the classroom where he is student teaching. That student's home life is not the best, and Kelley has taken him under his wing. Making sure that he has an adult he can talk with, be comfortable with, and know that they are there for him no matter what. Then there is the storyline for Ivy's family. It's just her, her mom, and her brother, and well mom has to work a lot to make ends meet, so it's taxing on the family. Throughout the book, you will see this pop up, and how it affects Ivy's life.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm looking forward to reading Bailey's story (she's Ivy's roommate), and reconnecting with the group.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to read my thoughts on Love You Better.

Laura

Kelley Pierce is my person.

He has been since the 9th grade.
Passionate. Driven. Whip-smart and wickedly funny.
He gets me like no one else does, and I get him.
He’s the perfect…friend.
My best friend.

But Kelley is also totally gorgeous, magnetically confident, and tantalizingly tempting.
Or so I’ve been told.
None of that matters, anyway.
Best friends don’t notice those things.

Or at least… I never used to.

One chemistry-filled moment has the power to change everything, and soon old feelings I’d ignored and memories I’d tried to forget come crashing back.

I never prepared for falling in love with my best friend.
But after that kiss…

Who is this unbelievably sexy man, and what has he done with my best friend?




Add to your Goodreads TBR!


Meet Brit Benson

Brit Benson writes romance novels that are sassy, sexy, and sweet.

When she’s not dreaming up her next swoony book boyfriend and fierce book bestie, she’s reading. 

When she’s not reading, she’s probably marathoning a Netflix series or wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles in Homegoods.

Brit currently resides somewhere near the Blue Ridge Parkway with her husband, daughters, and dogs.


Connect with Brit Benson

Website | Newsletter | Facebook | Instagram | TikTok | Pinterest | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page