Monday, November 15, 2021

Pompous Player by Brenda Rothert {a review}

Did you see that Brenda Rothert has a new book available? Pompous Player is the latest addition to the Cocky Hero Club! This just released today, November 14, and it was so good!

This contemporary romance features the hate to love trope, along with forced proximity, and of course opposites attract. Oh, and there's a secret baby. You see in this book, we have Winter. Winter was best friends with Mal. Mal was pregnant, discovered she had a terminal illness, and after delivering her daughter, she died. It was her wish that Winter would raise her baby, and already had things set up for the dad to terminate his parental rights. But you see, the dad, well he's a former NHL hockey player (as well as a veteran), and Harry had no real clue that he was a dad. Yes Mal told him she might be pregnant, but he never heard any more after that night. So imagine his surprise at that meeting with his lawyer. There's more though. You see Winter had sacrificed everything to help Mal through her pregnancy, and then taking care of the baby. So she was strapped for cash, and her landlord wasn't too thrilled about the missing rent. Never in a million years did Winter see herself falling for the evil Harry Stone. How can she be falling for the man who broke her friends heart? How can she even explore a relationship with him without feeling guilty?

Full disclosure: I cried. 99% of the time it was in regards to Mal and the grief that Winter was dealing with. Ugh, why do I have to be such an emotional reader? WHY????

Anyways. 

I fully enjoyed every moment of this book. I loved the tropes. I loved the storyline. I loved the characters. All of it was so good. Now naturally there are bits and pieces that didn't sit well with me, but that didn't diminish my overall feeling for the book. What I saw was two strangers who had a similar goal (raising the baby) and one who had preconceived notions about the other. Winter thought she knew who Harry was, but she was reacting to the info her friend shared with her, and the persona that Harry wanted others to see. Who he really was though? No where near the man who she believed him to be.

I just adored this story, and it was a perfect addition to the Cocky Hero Club series that Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward have created. Oh, and Pompous Player was inspired by Cocky Bastard. (if you're familiar with that book, I am not.)

If secret baby, hate to love, forced proximity, opposites attract, or former hockey players are your preferred reads, then go download Pompous Player. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thank you for reading my thoughts,
Laura




BLURB

I hate Harry Stone.

Before I’d even met the selfish former pro hockey player turned CEO, he was at the top of my shit list.

The entire city of Chicago thinks he’s God’s gift to humanity, but I know the truth.

He knocked up my best friend and then ditched her when she needed him most.

She got sick after that, and before she passed away, she chose me to raise her newborn daughter.

I just need Harry to sign away his rights to the little girl who means everything to me.

Unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple.

To stay in his daughter’s life, I end up moving in with the man I detest. Loathe. Despise.

Hating Harry Stone is the easiest thing I’ve ever done.

But slowly discovering a way to not hate him?

Now that, I didn’t see coming.

Pompous Player is a secret baby/enemies to lovers/sports romance inspired by Cocky Bastard.



Only Available on Amazon

US / UK / CA / AU
Read for free with Kindle Unlimited




November Cocky Hero Club Releases



Meet the Author

Brenda Rothert is an Illinois native who was a print journalist for nine years. She made the jump from fact to fiction in 2013 and never looked back. From new adult to steamy contemporary romance, Brenda creates fresh characters in every story she tells. She’s a lover of Diet Coke, lazy weekends and happily ever afters.


Cocky Hero Club







Thank you to Brenda Rothert, and Give Me Books PR, for providing me with an advanced copy of Pompous Player.