Thursday, December 16, 2021

Brogan by Samantha Whiskey {a review}


Samantha Whiskey did another surprise book release! When I read the text, and spotted the post on Facebook, I was absolutely giddy. The timing was perfect too because I had just finished reading a book, so I could immediately jump in. And that I did.

Brogan is the ninth book in the Carolina Reapers hockey series, and prepare yourself for this single dad and the nanny story. It also has the forced proximity, grumpy-sunshine, and surprise baby tropes.

As the story kicks off, we have Brogan out running with his teammates. Upon arriving home he spots a car seat sitting at his doorstep. He immediately panics. Brogan fully believes he is not meant to be a dad. Especially not with the upbringing he had. When he sees the baby waiting in the car seat he's nervous, anxious, and confused. A quick phone call to Silas (the owner of the Reapers) results in a meeting at his office. Silas quickly orders a paternity test, and they decide not to get law enforcement involved. Should Brogan not be the father, then they'll make the call. With the season getting ready to begin, Brogan doesn't know how he will handle raising a baby on top of his job. Thankfully Langley is there, and she has a nanny headed to them now. Fiona recently earned her doctorate in psychology, is trying to figure out what she wants for her future career, and needs to start paying her student loans. She had met Langley while interviewing to nanny her baby, but they went another route. Langley knew her qualifications though, and knew she'd be perfect for Brogan and Skye. Fiona had grown up taking care of her siblings, and had no problem jumping in to help with Skye. What started off as a nanny job for Fiona, quickly turned into falling for her boss, and being scared of the future. Could Fiona get over the commitment issues she had? Could she finally understand that she won't end up like her mother?

First things first, I have loved all of the sports romances that Samantha Whiskey has written. I have. Yes I've had minor dislikes with one or two, but overall those didn't affect the storyline, or my enjoyment of the book. That is the case with Brogan's story as well. Yes there are a few things that I didn't particularly care for, but I still enjoyed and devoured the book. It was like coming home, and seeing those friends who you've been missing. That is the Reapers, and their significant others. I've read quite a few nanny and the athlete/single dad romances lately, and I'm here for it. No matter how many I read, I still fall for the characters and their lives.

So let's talk about the book. Brogan comes across as someone with a tough guy exterior, but is a teddy bear for the woman he loves, and his kids. He thinks he is scarier than he is. My gut also tells me he has a bit of confidence issues when it comes to relationships because of the death of his parents. Somehow I think he hasn't completely properly grieved that, even though it has been years. The moment he found Skye, you could see his tough guy shell start to crack. This little gal was quickly wrapping him around her finger. Skye did not make it an easy transition for Brogan either. Whether it was the change in environment, or her age (2-3 months), she was frequently upset. I loved when the team stepped in to get the house ready for Skye, and all that they did for Brogan. The Reapers are a family, and the team definitely showed that. Same with Silas and what he did for Brogan after finding Skye on his doorstep. Then there is Fiona. Fiona had the potential to be an amazing character, yet I don't think she was well thought out. Her she had all this experience with kids because of practically raising her many siblings, and then was her education. I cannot figure out why she chose to be a nanny versus finding a career that would utilize her doctorate! But once I look past that, I see how she was able to bring light into Brogan's world. She showed him love, she showed him compassion, she was caring, she was not just there to take care of Skye, Fiona jumped in to help Brogan as well. I enjoyed their relationship, and the stolen moments they had. Fiona's commitment issues I struggled with. You could see her wanting forever with Brogan, but then thoughts of her mom would creep in, and poof those HEA thoughts were gone. Had her backstory been a more active part of the book, I think this could have been a 5 star read. I also wish that Samantha Whiskey had explained WHY Brogan is referred to as Demon. Why he thinks he's this big scary guy. That wasn't answered. Who he might be on the ice, isn't who he is off the ice. My last issue was regarding Tiffany. She could have been better utilized in the big dramatic moment between Fiona and Brogan. There was the potential for so much tension, frustration, and heartache, but it wasn't. Now I'm not saying the dramatic moment wasn't, well, dramatic, because it was. It was just a bit soft. I did enjoy their reunion, and how they found their way back together. And of course I enjoyed seeing them get their HEA, not to mention seeing them a bit later in the epilogue.

While Brogan and Fiona were not my favorite couple, I still fell for their story. On Goodreads I rated the book as 4 stars. I am sticking with that rating too. I know myself, and I know that I will be recommending Samantha Whiskey's books for other sports romance fans. I'm not letting those few tidbits alter my rating. (although the book should be sent back through proofreading because there were a few typos/grammar issues.)

Is it time for Maxim's story? Because as Brogan's story was going on, I noticed snippets of that story being built. I love me a good best friend's sibling romance, and I have a feeling it's going to be a doozy. Also, is Silas going to get a story? Because that man deserves it. I'd love to see him find his person like Nico in Only One Touch was able to.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on Brogan. If you'd like to discuss it further with me, please reach out! I'd love to chat.

Laura



They call me Demon for a reason—I’m the most ruthless Reaper on the ice.

I’m not the person who finds a baby on their doorstep.

Except, after a morning run, I am.

And the note accompanying the little bundle says she’s mine.

I was nothing but a burden on my aunt and uncle after my parents died, and I’d decided I’d never have children.

But it seems fate has other ideas, and now I’ve got a three-month-old daughter…and zero clue how to take care of her.

Insert my new nanny—Fiona Andrews, the gorgeous, stubborn, and more than qualified woman who is saving my ass.

She moves in, and suddenly my upside-down world feels more balanced than ever before.

She’s magic with my daughter, patient with me, and has a mouth that drives me wild.

There are lines we can’t cross, shouldn’t cross…and yet keep crossing.

I’m falling fast, but it’s not just my heart that’s at risk anymore, and if we eliminate those professional boundaries?

I could lose them both.



Read NOW!

Are you a KU subscriber? If so, you can read this for FREE!

Add Brogan to your Goodreads TBR!



New to the Reapers?
Start from the beginning!

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads




Meet Samantha Whiskey




Shameless pen name of a PTA Reject.

Writing contemporary romance from the car pool line and NEVER telling my mother. Ever.

Connect with Samantha

Be sure to text SAMANTHA to 77222 to be the first to see covers, hear about giveaways, and new releases!⁣⁣