Thursday, December 16, 2021

When Sparks Fly by Helena Hunting {a review}


Back in 2019 I read my first Helena Hunting book. It was Pucked, and I absolutely loved it. I immediately fell for Helena's writing, her characters, and these stories she was creating. I could not get enough. Soon enough I read 2 additional books in the Pucked series, her Shacking Up series, her Clipped Wings series, her All In series, as well as her standalones that were out at that time. Have I worked my way through all of her titles? No. Absolutely not. Am I working on it? You betcha.

I had heard about When Sparks Fly earlier this year when Helena was starting to do promo for it, and I was intrigued. It's by Helena so, naturally, I have to read it. It's friends to lovers! I really enjoy friends to lovers, so hand it over. Then my schedule became a bit busy, and I delayed reading the book. It is now December, and I put When Sparks Fly on my list of books I want to read before the end of 2021. Well I can officially cross it off my list, as I've read it!

Avery Spark works with her sisters at the family business, Spark House. It is an event hotel, and it takes up ALL of her time. It is her sole focus. One morning she is driving to a meeting, it happens to be raining outside, and she's a nervous wreck. Ever since her parents died in a vehicle accident, she gets on edge while driving in these conditions. Declan, her roommate, calls her while on the road, and he's apologizing because he was supposed to drive her to this meeting. As he's talking on the phone with her, she begins mentioning another vehicle driving recklessly. Next thing we know there's a loud noise, and Avery isn't responding to Declan's voice. Declan stays on the line, manages to get ahold of Avery's sisters to relay what's happening, and is able to relay information to the first responders about Avery. From this point on it is all about Avery's healing. Declan is determined to do WHATEVER he can to assist her. So much so that he's working from home until she's good to be on her own. Eventually this friendship begins to turn into more. Will this work? Can these friends become lovers? Can trust be built when a person from the past reappears?

I loved witnessing Declan and Avery realize they had feelings for each other. I loved watching their relationship progress. Declan caring for Avery. Avery caring for Declan. Neither wanting to ruin what they had, just making it more. I'll admit that when the car crash happened, I gasped. Legit gasped. Pretty sure my hand flew to my mouth too. Yet, if I'm completely honest, I struggled with this book. I didn't feel the connection between the characters. It wasn't there. Yes they were friends, but I didn't feel the chemistry. Was it still enjoyable to witness them catching feelings? Absolutely.  Then there's Avery's business. What even is the Spark House? I mean I get that it's a hotel and event center, but it was odd. I was really confused by the events they were hosting, and their clientele. What is the deal with the fountain that they are trying to save money for it? Why does it need to be done before Grandma returns?  I'm just so confused, and I feel a bit lost regarding bits and pieces of the story.

I wanted to love this book. I did. I went in thinking it would be a 4 star, or even perhaps a 5, but at the end of the day it was a 3. It was still decent, but it was lacking at the same time. I'm sorry to all my fellow Helena Hunting fans out there. I don't like not giving her books 4 or 5 stars, but I just couldn't. 

Also, I'm noticing that this is going to be a series/trilogy. It's looking like the next book is going to be about London. I can't lie, I'm curious about it. Her character rubbed me a bit wrong in this book, but I'm guessing there is a reason for that. So yes, I will be reading Starry-Eyed Love.

Did you read When Sparks Fly? If so, what were your thoughts?

Laura



Avery Spark is living her best life. Between her friends, her sisters, and Spark House, the event hotel her family owns, she doesn’t have much time for anything else, especially relationships. She’d rather hang out with her best friend and roommate, Declan McCormick, than deal with the dating scene. But everything changes when she is in a car accident and needs someone to care for her as she heals.

Declan avoids relationships, giving him a playboy reputation that he lives up to when he puts a one-night stand ahead of a promise he made to Avery. While he may not have been the one driving the car, he feels responsible for Avery’s injuries and is determined to make it up to her by stepping into the role of caretaker.

Little did they know that the more time they spend in compromising positions, the attraction they’ve been refusing to acknowledge becomes impossible to ignore. When they finally give in to the spark between them, neither is prepared for the consequences. Their love is fragile and all it will take is a blow from the past to shatter it all.

 



Add to your Goodreads TBR!