Friday, January 14, 2022

Broken Boys Fight Harder by JB Heller


Broken Boys Fight Harder, by JB Heller, is a steamy second chance, contemporary romance about the power of secrets and fighting to keep the things we hold dear. If you want a romance with all the feels you can only get from a bad boy falling for the good girl, then this book is for you. One-Click now to embark on an emotional journey of two opposites navigating their way through college, family trials, and self discovery.

In Broken Boys Fight Harder we meet Chance Haynes and Carter Cross. They are both in their final year of college, and are busy preparing for life after graduation. Before that can happen though, Chance is given an assignment to take photos of the football team. This isn't the usual for her, but the editor in chief isn't backing down. He wants these shots, and he wants her to be the one taking them. Chance heads over to get started, and walks into the locker room. It is there that she runs into Carter, and they begin to banter. There is clearly an attraction between these two opposites, and this is how their journey towards their happily ever after begins. From there it's a whirlwind romance,  complete with drama, and a family secret being revealed. It definitely isn't an easy ride though, and it is full of frustration, pain, heartache, loss, and love. 

I've read Broken Boys Break Hearts, and fell hard for Hux and El's story. So when I started Broken Boys Fight Harder, I was surprised to see that this book was about Hux's little sister, Chance. For some reason my mind thought it would be about other characters. I wasn't expecting this 20 year jump. That's on me though. Really I should view Broken Boys Break Hearts as the prequel for this series. It set the stage and put the ball in motion.

Back to the book at hand though. Chance is taking after Hux with her love of photography. Which I love that he helped fuel her passion.

Photography, to me, is like being given the opportunity to see the world with a whole new perspective.


I do wish that within the book we would have seen more of her pursuing her passion. It would show up from time to time, but it wasn't what we were supposed to take away from Chance.

One thing to know is that Chance loves her family fiercely. From her mom and dad, to her big brother, her sister-in-law, and her nephew. It's always comical to talk about Kassidy being her nephew as he's only two years younger than her. Throughout this book though, we see that Chance realizes something is off with her family. She notices these little tidbits. From the way Hux and her dad interact, to how things suddenly go a bit quiet, and it's making her question things. Rightfully so. I mean if you read Broken Boys Break Hearts, then you know what Hux went through with his Dad. But all of that is being kept quiet when it comes to Chance.

Carter isn't as close with his family. His parents are not the best, but then there is his big sister Bella. He would do anything for her. Any problems she has, he wants to guide her through to a resolution. It's not just because she has down syndrome, but because she is a remarkable person. Unfortunately his parents don't feel the same. Another thing to know about Carter is that he is a talented football player. He's had offers from the NFL, but is choosing not to follow that path. He has his eyes on MMA. But that goal is going to cause some issues in his relationship with Chance.

I really want to talk about the scenes that involve Chance's dad. But at the same time, I shouldn't because it has the potential for spoilers. What I can tell you is that both scenes are emotional. There is hurt, anger, frustration, and heartache all involved.

Carter and Chance intrigued me right from the get go. As their story continued to unfold, I found myself struggling to put the book down. Then suddenly our couple had their HEA, the stage was being set for Broken Boys Despise Deceit, and I still had questions that were not answered. So that was disappointing. But ultimately I did enjoy the story. Rating wise, I opted for 3.5 stars. Honestly it would have been a 4, but it was those couple of unanswered/unfinished storylines that I just couldn't move past.

I hope that you'll give Broken Boys Fight Harder a read. It is a good story, and the characters are easy to fall for. Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts.

Laura

Side note: Broken Boys Fight Harder was previously released as Moments of Clarity in 2016, and has since been rewritten and now includes new content. The new title had been Losing Focus, but it was recently retitled as Broken Boys Fight Harder.


Cover Design: Tall Story Designs
Photographer: Michelle Lancaster
Model: Andy Murray
 

Her name was Chance, and I’d give anything for a second one with her…

She swept into my life like a hurricane, annihilating everything that came before her. Football, fighting, girls, none of it mattered anymore. The nerdy chick with a camera around her neck somehow managed to soothe the rage that thrummed beneath my skin.

I should have stayed away, but I didn't and Chance quickly became my center. Sparking something in me I didn’t even know I was capable of.

Then she learned her family’s dirty little secret. And slowly, but surely, she began to pull away from me.

Without her, my demons returned in full force. I needed her back... I just had no idea how to make that happen.



Add to your Goodreads TBR!





Meet JB Heller


JB Heller is an average Aussie housewife and Mumma in her early 30's. She lives on a mini farm with her family and a few cows, sheep, a parrot, cats, fish, dogs, and a butt load of chickens. It's JB's dream to one day add a llama to the mix and an alpaca or two.

She writes across several genre's including RomCom, Romantic Suspense and Contemporary. You can always expect a healthy dose of heat, intrigue and wit in her stories.

Monday to Friday you can find JB glued to her laptop weaving words or trolling Pinterest for her next potential muse. Come the weekend, it's family time. (And of course lots of reading and Netflix binges.)

Want to know more about JB? Check her out, you’ll be guaranteed a good laugh if nothing else.



Thank you to J.B. Heller, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with a review copy of Broken Boys Fight Harder.