Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Saving Jen by Ellie Masters {a review}

 

Ellie Masters has just released Saving Jen! This is the fifth book in the One I Want series, and it is a hard hitting, emotional story. This book is nothing like the previous four books, but it is still just as wonderful. Saving Jen is a steamy, second chance, contemporary romantic suspense. It features a protective hero and the smart, feisty heroine who steals his heart.


In Saving Jen, we have Jen and Patton. They have been married for a while now, and are trying to add to their family. Jen has had multiple losses, and it's taking an emotional toll. (as it should) Patton isn't dealing with the same emotions, or at least he isn't vocal about them. They continue to live their lives. He works for the military, and Jen is an EMT. When tensions rise in the community, it is becoming unsafe for the public, but Jen and Patton still need to do their jobs. But Jen working her job is causing issues with Patton. He would rather she stay home and be safe versus putting herself in danger. Their emotions are already elevated when tragedy strikes. This leads to conflict in the relationship, and an uncertain future. Can these two find a way to talk things out? Can they mend their relationship? Or is this it for Jen and Patton? Also, with the turmoil in the community, can both of them remain safe?

Having read the previous 4 books in the series, I thought I had a good idea of what to expect with the premise of the stories. Saving Jen proved to me that I was 100% wrong. This book threw me a curve ball, and at first I wasn't sure what to do. You see since the last two books were set in the same small town, I assumed we'd be headed back. Part of me also assumed that previous characters would either make an appearance, or at least be mentioned. That wasn't the case though. Which is fine. It just caught me off guard based on the previous books. As the story progressed, I was all in.

First, this is a marriage in trouble book. So it is our couple working through their issues, and finding a way to return to each other to make their relationship work. Loved that. Jen is a EMT in California, and her husband Patton is in the military.

Second, this book is emotion filled. Those emotions are not just from our main characters, but also from the storyline going on in the background. It's intense. It's real. It's just a lot. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

There were times in this book where Patton just had me shaking my head, as I was so frustrated with him. Then when he said what he said after that one incident? UGH! I was devastated for Jen. So when everything blew up, and the conflict kicked in, I wasn't sure how they were going to come out the other side.

Jen had me feeling the same at times. Part of me thinks if she had opened up about her feelings, then maybe all of this could have been avoided. But then at the same time that wouldn't have given the conflict for our characters to work through.

Loved the book. Love the series. Cannot wait for the next.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts. I hope you'll consider picking up Saving Jen, and giving it a read.

Laura

A story of the deepest love, tragic loss, and a chance for Redemption.

Jennifer
While our cities burn, I face devastation on the streets, saving lives while my marriage falls apart. I once thought Patton and I could survive anything, but we’re not coming out of this unscathed. We’ve lost too much and our love is stretched beyond the breaking point. The choices I make aren’t easy, but at the end of a long and brutal night, I’ll see what remains of both my city and the love of the man I can’t live without.

Patton
Overcome with grief, I walked away. The love of my life is on the streets, doing what she does best. Jen's saving lives, but when she goes missing in the middle of the riots, I can no longer ignore the truth. She’s my wife. My love. She's my life. I may not be worthy of redemption, but I will bring my wife home.

Will the riots and civil unrest destroy Patton and Jennifer's second chance for a happily ever after? Or does fate have something else in store?


(Saving Jen was previously published as Patton.)


Purchase now on Amazon!
US / UK / CA / AU
Free in Kindle Unlimited

Add Saving Jen to your Goodreads TBR!



EXCERPT

All we needed was one spark to ignite the city. The situation had been escalating for some time. Overzealous media and corrupt politicians fed the fire, weaving truth and lies into an intricate web, never once letting facts get in the way.

Nobody really knew what started the riots, but some traced it back to a drive-by shooting in San Francisco. Bullets sprayed from a car. People were wounded. A small child died. The community banded together for a public vigil, angry about the gangs, frustrated by the failure of the police, and fearful for their futures. Words were exchanged and then fists. Citizens went on a rampage.

We braced for the worst, foreseeing the chaos which would surely result.

This is but one story of what happened in the days and weeks leading up to the riots … It’s my story: a story of the deepest love, tragic loss, and a chance for redemption.



ALSO AVAILABLE


FREE for a limited time!

AMAZON
US / UK / CA / AU
Always free in Kindle Unlimited



99c for a limited time!

AMAZON
US / UK / CA / AU
Free in Kindle Unlimited



99c for a limited time!

AMAZON
US / UK / CA / AU
Free in Kindle Unlimited



AMAZON
US / UK / CA / AU
Free in Kindle Unlimited






Coming Soon

Releasing July 31

AMAZON
US / UK / CA / AU





Meet Ellie Masters


Ellie writes the kind of heart-stopping, pulse-pounding, can't-stop-reading romance filled with all your sexy, swoon-worthy, alpha men. They have to be, because the heroines Ellie writes are strong women with take charge attitudes.

International, bestselling, multi-genre author, Ellie writes the stories she loves to read. Dark romance lover? Sweet contemporary romance? How about a romantic suspense to whet your appetite? Ellie writes it all. Don't wait any longer, your next book boyfriend is waiting for you.

Born in the South, raised under the Hawaiian sun, Ellie has traveled the globe while in service to her country. The love of her life, her amazing husband, is her number one fan and biggest supporter. And yes! He's read every word she's written.

Don't forget to sign up for her newsletter. Never miss another release, sale, or exclusive. 


Connect with Ellie




Thank you to Ellie Masters, and Give Me Books PR, for providing me with an advanced copy of Saving Jen.