Thursday, February 3, 2022

The Lies You Love by Rachel Robinson {a review}

 

The Lies You Love by Rachel Robinson is now available! This is the second book in the Charge Men series, and it was an interesting read. There was a bit of mystery in the book, as well as a couple of surprises. So if that interests you, please go check it out!

Beck is a Charge Man. He is responsible for keeping his person alive, and tracking their every move. It is an exhausting job that has him working for a month straight before getting a month off, as he and his coworker trade off. Beck's current detail is with Ramsey. She's being taken care of by the Charge Men due to a situation with her parents that leaves her a bit vulnerable. Auden is Ramsey's best friend. These two are quite opposite, but their friendship works. Auden had her heartbroken by the man she thought she would marry. So to work on getting over him, she's been hitting the bars with friends, and having one night stands in the process. She's protecting her heart at all costs as she can't go through that pain again. Flash forward to a girls night out. They all agreed to dress like grannies, and have a blast. It is at this bar where she meets Beck, and the two have an amazing night together. Neither want it to end, but Auden doesn't do relationships, and Beck can only offer a month. 

There is more I could have put into my little recap above, but honestly it would ruin the story. So I can't do that. I'm not that person.

The way this book kicked off had me intrigued. That prologue had me so curious, and I could not wait to find out how the characters arrived in that situation. Once we moved out of the prologue, the book slowed down a bit. I'll admit that I struggled through the next few chapters, and did put the book aside for quite a few days. When I did pick the book back up, I still struggled a bit. Now, the story did pick up speed again, especially once Auden and Beck met. From there it was a whirlwind romance, full of steamy moments, and it was also filled with the mystery about who Beck is, as well as what his job entails. When Beck figured out the connection between Ramsey and Auden, it shook him a bit. He knew there was something familiar about her, but at the time he didn't put two and two together. It was going to be a problem. 

Later on we learned about what happened to Beck's sister, and how that lead to him becoming a Charge Man. I found that fairly interesting. I will say once I knew what happened to his sister, I quickly figured out the connection revealed in another scene. I think you will also.

Now, the situation with Ramsey captured my attention, and wouldn't let go. As that storyline built, I found myself wanting to know what was going on there. Right before things were revealed, I found myself wondering if something like this might happen. So when it all came out, I was a bit surprised, but not shocked by the news. Here's the thing, I don't feel like I know the Ramsey character all that well, and I'd wish the author had given us more of a backstory on Ramsey. I get it though, Ramsey wasn't the main character of this book, so those details weren't as necessary. Yes we had bits and pieces, but there was the potential for more.  Also, one thing I can't move past, is that if she was supposed to be protected, why was she allowed to stay in the same area? Why wasn't she relocated?

If you've read the book, then you know what happened in the prologue. But then you also know what happened toward the end of chapter 17. How did we get from the end of chapter 17, to what happened in the prologue? I want those scenes! I want to know how our characters wound up in that situation! This missing detail is one of the things that held me back from rating this book higher. The other thing that held me back was how disinterested I was after reading the couple of chapters after the prologue. That set up was so good, that what happened after left me a bit disappointed. The book did redeem itself though. So, what was my rating? 
I opted to give this 3.5 stars.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts. The Lies You Love was a decent story. It just didn't give me everything that I had hoped for. If you choose to check out this book, please let me know what you think.

Happy Reading,
Laura



Auden
In a quest to forget my ex left me to marry a man, I turned to a few flings. Okay, more than a few, but I dare anyone to judge me after the life I’ve endured. Then, a one-night stand gets a little blurry in the emotions department. He’s muscular, smooth talking, and the chemistry is so hot that thinking about him makes me buzz. The catch is he can only commit to a one month fling. It’s so good, I agree, but it’s obvious there’s something between us that can’t be ignored. His secrets are deep, and I don’t want to get burned again yet, walking away is impossible.

Beck
I spend one month on duty guarding my Principal, and one month off letting loose. That’s my schedule, and I’m okay with it until I meet her. The night we meet is a little fuzzy, but our connection is not. When I wake up in the morning and discover my life-altering one-night stand is my Principal’s best friend, I know I’m doomed, but I make excuses to keep Auden for as long as I can. That is until both their lives are in danger and I can only save one.
My duty and honor, or the woman who I’ve fallen mercilessly for?

Always protect the heartbeat.


Grab Your Copy Here:

Add to your Goodreads TBR!


Meet Rachel Robinson

Rachel grew up in a small, quiet town full of loud talkers. Her words were always only loud on paper. She has been writing stories and creating characters for as long as she can remember. 

CRAZY GOOD and SET IN STONE, and TIME AND SPACE, three of her Navy SEAL novels are INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLERS.

After living in San Diego, Virginia Beach, and then Fairfax, VA, she now resides in colorful Colorado with her badass husband, two children, her Sphynx cat, & her dog, Polly.

Connect with Rachel Robinson 


Hosted By:
Thank you to Rachel Robinson, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced review copy of The Lies You Love.