Thursday, October 27, 2022

Real Like Daydreams by J Wolf {a review}

"I'll stand on your battlefield with you until you see what's real and not what your mind is telling you."

Julia Wolf is back with the fourth installment of the Savage U series! Real Like Daydreams is Julien's journey toward healing and a happily ever after. This book is filled with discussions of mental health, a serious accident, family issues, and people who don't always have your best interest in mind. Julien and Sera's story is emotional, intense, steamy, and it's simply amazing.

My rating for Real Like Daydreams:


Oh how I loved this story!

Julien has been on my radar since Bright Like Midnight. Everything that happened, especially at the end of that book, had me wanting to know what would happen next for him. Then when he became a more central figure in Sweet Like Poison, I was hopeful that Julien would get his story told.

Here we are in Real Like Daydreams, and it was everything I was expecting! Julien's life has not been an easy one, and add that accident on top if it all, ugh. My heart breaks for him. His meet cute with Sera was simple, but effective. It set that stage perfectly. That meet cute played on in my memory throughout the book. Especially with the text messages.

Now did I like the reason behind the fake relationship? No, absolutely not. BUT the way it was handled? YES! So good. Also, Carson is seriously the worst. Okay it's a toss up between him and Sera's ex.Well I mean, then there's Phe, and she isn't my favorite either. But I digress.

Real Like Daydreams honestly felt like watching a tv show. Seeing all of these bits and pieces play out, how those affected the storyline, how it pushed and pulled the characters, I couldn't get enough.

There were moments in this story that were so heated in conversation. You could feel that honesty, that pain, all the emotions just pouring off the pages.

Sera and Jules...love them together.

Sera explaining her past, and everything she dealt with tugged on my heartstrings. Then to see that relationship with her mom and sister play out...heartbreak. Add in the ex, and the ex's best friend? More devastation.

Then there's Julien...that sweet man. You can practically see the shield he has put into place. Plus that pulling away from his closest friends? My heart cannot take it! Not to mention the drama with his dad, and then that pesky little brother. Okay the little brother is pretty cool in the grand scheme of things.

Watching both of these characters go through the rough patches, fight their way out, and work toward that healing? Amazing. They are fighters through and through, and are determined to find a way out of the darkness.

That set up for the spin off series? I cannot wait! One because we'll get to see this group again. Two because we've met the characters for the first book, but we don't fully know their stories yet. I just know when they come together it's going to be intense.

Have you discovered the Savage U series yet? If you haven't, I highly suggest that you do. While some of the books have darker elements, this one did not. This one was much more emotional since it was more mental health based. Regardless all four books in this series have been amazing, and I have fallen for the characters.

Let me know if you pick up Real Like Daydreams. I'd love to hear your thoughts on everything that Julien and Sera have been going through.

Happy Reading,
Laura




Seraphina…that’s a big name.


The first time I laid eyes on Julien Umbra, he made me cry.

That makes him sound mean, but grumpy would be more of an apt description. Besides, I always cry when I’m drunk.

Hate is a strong, strong word.

I’m back for another semester at Savage U, nursing a bruised heart and shattered ego. That’s what happens when your ex cheats and everyone knows.

Worse than that, the girl my ex told me not to worry about and then banged is vying for the one thing I want: drum captain of the marching band.

Pretend all you want to.

I have a chance to get what I want, there’s just one little thing I have to do: fake date the grumpy guy in the hoodie. The one who sits alone at the front of the class and growls at anyone who speaks to him.

But Julien doesn’t growl at me, and to my surprise, he agrees to be my fake boyfriend.

Breaking the already broken…

Julien is scarred in more ways than one, but he’s not as broken as he thinks he is. There's something about him that draws me in.

I like him, and the longer we do this, it starts to feel like it’s not for show.

All of this is fleeting.

I have to remember this is fake.

When I get what I want, Julien and I will walk away from each other.

The song will end.

But what if all I want is Julien?



Thank you to Julia Wolf, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced copy of Real Like Daydreams.

Also, I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program. Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission. Thank you!