Friday, October 14, 2022

The Troubles with Heartbreak by Brittany Taylor {a review}



"But I think hatred is often used as a disguise for the truth. Sometimes, it looks the same as love."

The Troubles with Heartbreak is the third, and final, book in the Heartbreak series from Brittany Taylor. This book is full of fabulous tropes, such as hate to love, enemies to lovers, fake relationship, forced proximity, and single bed. This book is quite the ride, and I loved every moment of it.



So here's the deal, Levi and Cassidy have known each other since they were seniors in high school. They have also hated each other since high school. Flash forward roughly 5 years, and they are now coworkers at the newspaper. They try to stay out of each others way, but considering Cassidy is the photographer, it doesn't always work out.

When Levi is invited to a hotel opening slash college football team reunion, he is hesitant to attend. After all he and the hotel owner are former teammates, and the relationship they have is non-existent. Things happened in college that tarnished that friendship, and it is still a touchy subject. Rightfully so. Yet Levi sees the possibility of an article that he could write about the new hotel, and pitched it to his boss. It was the boss who said that Cassidy should attend with him so there would be photos for the article.

What happens next? Well there's only one bed in the hotel room, and of course there are no other rooms available. So these two are being forced together in that regard. But then at a team get-together, Levi mentions that he's engaged. To Cassidy. Thankfully she agrees to play along. Except of course as the days go on things begin to shift. Feelings are emerging, passionate moments are shared, and heartbreak is on the horizon.

Things are going relatively smoothly. Yes those feelings are there, and the lines are being blurred. But then comes THE moment. The moment where the shit is about to hit the fan. The drama is strong. History is revealed, and a blow up happens. It was alot! Naturally this affected Levi and Cassidy's relationship as well. Throughout the hotel scenes I was wondering when things were going to blow up, and what the triggering moment would be. Oofta! That was a doozy. Yet now that all that information is out there, and emotions aren't as heightened, we're in the heartbreak stage. Their journey towards a reunion wasn't easy. It involved an outside party stepping in, and giving a little assistance. I loved how their reconciliation happened, and the truths that were shared in that moment. So good. It gave them both the information they needed. They shared that history, and eyes were opened.

This book is full of banter, passion, steamy moments, hate to love, and realization that the hate they felt might have been masking their true feelings. I also enjoyed how we were able to briefly meet up with the characters from the previous books in the series. Whenever previous characters make appearances it makes me smile as it reminds me of their stories, and allows me to see a glimpse into their current lives.

OH, and Cassidy's dad? Did not see that one coming. Okay maybe a little bit, but I wasn't fully expecting it. My mind actually went worse case situation. So there's that.

Loved this book. Loved the characters. Loved this series. Cannot wait to see what comes next from Brittany Taylor.

If you haven't read the Heartbreak series, please do. There are so many tropes covered between the three books, and there is really something there for every romance reader.

Happy Reading,
Laura


𝙏𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙚 #1: 𝙇𝙚𝙫𝙞 𝙃𝙖𝙬𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙨... 𝘼𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨.

Levi Hawkins has been trouble since the first time I saw him through the lens of my camera our senior year of high school.

He was the star quarterback.
I was the yearbook photographer.

Although Levi’s hatred for me was no secret, I spent the entire school year fighting my feelings for him, counting down to the day of graduation.

When that day finally came, I foolishly thought I'd seen the last of him. Until five years later, when he walked into the same newspaper I worked for. Only now, he was no longer a football star. He's the paper's newest reporter.

Disguised by a grand opening of a hotel on the shores of South Padre Island, Levi dragged me on an assignment. His college football reunion.

But just when I thought he'd roped me in enough trouble, he asked for one more favor.

𝙋𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙛𝙞𝙖𝙣𝙘é... 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙣.

I knew he had dragged me along to get a story, but it wasn’t long before I realized there was more written between the lines.

𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙄 𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙙... 𝙇𝙚𝙫𝙞 𝙃𝙖𝙬𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙨 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙚.



Thank you to Brittany Taylor, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced reader copy of The Troubles with Heartbreak.



Also, I am an Amazon Affiliate. Purchases made from links in this post allow me to earn a small commission.