Monday, February 20, 2023

What I Read Last Week

It's a new week! My kids are off from school two days this week, and honestly if the weather forecast is right, they could be off all week. It's looking like we could get hit with over a foot of snow. Let me tell ya, I am not excited about the snow. It seems like we had so much this winter, and it was just starting to melt. I told my husband that I'm fine with winter hanging on, but I'd like to unsubscribe to the snow and ice. If only it worked that way.

This week I read 6 books! Quite honestly they were all pretty fabulous. Broken Love Story by Natasha Madison was my favorite of the week. There was just something about those two characters, and all that they had been through, that hit me so hard. Between baseball romance and hockey romance, I read 3 sports romance books. It really is my favorite thing ever. Ever so slowly I am working my way through Gina Azzi's backlist, as well as Natasha Madison's. Their storytelling, and characters, are some of my favorites.




Fill me in on what you read last week. Did you have a favorite? Any duds? What's the reading plan for this week?


Happy Reading,
Laura


Love, Pucks, and Other Stories by Elise Faber



Oh my word this story! First of all I absolutely love Billie Rose. LOVE HER. Joel is pretty amazing as well. When Billie Rose shared her love of planners, stickers, washi tape, and pens it just solidified my love for her. Billie Rose impressed me throughout this book. Her dedication to the town is unbelievable, and she definitely fills more buckets even though hers is on the brink of being empty. Joel is passionate about his career, his friends, his family, and Billie Rose. This chemistry has been building for a while, and his need to protect her is starting to be his priority. I love how he sticks up for her, wants to know her and her passions, listens to the things she says and doesn't say, and how he just wants to be in her orbit. I was waiting for the bombshell cliffhanger to happen, and when it did I cursed. I didn't know what to expect, but it definitely wasn't THAT!! Now I have to wait until May 9 for All's Fair in Pucks and War. AHHHH WHY!


Broken Love Story by Natasha Madison





This was my favorite of the trilogy. Yes Hailey and Crystal's stories were both wonderful, but there was something about Blake's story that just hit a bit harder. Maybe it was because of who he was falling for, or maybe it was the fact that he was working toward loving again, doesn't matter because I could not put this book down. While I was reading I would find myself laughing a bit, cringing here and there, gasping at the major scenes that were just so unbelievable yet they were happening, and cheering on this duo. The way Samantha and Blake came together was unconventional. They started as strangers who were grieving, that morphed into a friendship being established, that bond was getting tighter, and then a lifetime together just made sense. That bombshell that dropped though? OH MY WORD! That was epic. Gotta love Nanny for dropping that little little nugget of truth, and witnessing how it all blew up from there.


The Owner by Xavier Neal



The Owner is the brand new professional hockey romance from Xavier Neal. It releases on February 24. If you're looking for humor, romance, and a lot of hockey lingo, then grab this one. My review slash random thoughts will be posted on the 24th, so keep an eye out for it. Also prepare yourself as that post is a bit long. Sorry not sorry.


Curveball by Lisa Suzanne



A baseball romance from Lisa Suzanne? Uh, yes please! Curveball was such a good start to this series. Cooper and Gabby meet in Vegas at the blackjack table, and their attraction is instant. The flirting is constant, and despite their age gap this meet cute is going to turn into something major. The relationship between Cooper and Gabby is off to a good start. Both are feeling confident in everything, and miss each other when separated. It isn't until Cooper officially moves to Vegas that things really pick up. The secrets that both Gabby and Cooper are holding are about to be revealed though. Can their relationship survive what is going to happen? If you've read any of Lisa Suzanne's football romances, you know that a cliffhanger is going to happen. We won't see the couple get their happily ever after until book 5. Now I need to patiently wait for my arc of Fastball to arrive on my kindle so I can see what happens next. If you want to read Curveball it officially releases March 2, but the paperback is actually available for purchase now. 


Recovering Beauty by Gina Azzi

I finally got to read Carter Kane's story! That first impression moment between Carter and Taylor was definitely a memorable one. Although it wasn't under the best of circumstances. This relationship was an interesting one to say the least. With how they met, how their second chance meeting occurred, how the friendship built, and the fact that they were easily able to open up to each other, it was just all so enjoyable. The drama moment though, that third act breakup, I was waiting for that to happen. Especially as I was putting the clues together during the story. I knew this would be a bit explosive, and emotions would run high. I liked how Gina Azzi handled it all though. There are only TWO things that I wish would have taken place that didn't. The first being Joe finding out about Carter's involvement, and seeing that play out in the story. The second being that object getting gifted back. That being said, I can't have everything. Carter and Taylor's story was still so good. I loved the opposites attract storyline. I loved their uncommon meet-cute. I also really enjoyed how they created their own little found family throughout the book. The Kane family is pulling me in, and I cannot wait to read Denver and Daisy's stories. (which I thankfully have on hand and ready to go.)


Reclaiming Brave by Gina Azzi


Oh Denver and Sierra! This story was so full of emotional moments, frustrations, attraction, forgiveness, and family. I knew the moment I started this story that I wouldn't put it down until the story was over. From the moment their story began in Recovering Beauty, I had full confidence that their story would become my favorite of the trilogy. My theory was spot on too. Denver is a protector through and through. He also doesn't feel like he's good enough given his history. Yet he can't take his attention off of Sierra. Sierra has had her eyes on Denver for many years now. She doesn't care about the 7 year age gap, or the fact that it's Daisy's big brother. The attraction is there, even if they are financially opposites. There was one point in this book where I wanted to knock some sense into Denver. It was an emotional scene that caused a lot of frustration, pain, and doubt. That had me worried about the HEA, but thankfully everything worked out the way it was supposed to. The ending of this story had me happy that an object had been recovered, and the future of all the Kane family members was looking up. The only thing that is still bouncing through my head is surrounding Darren. How did that end up? Will we find out in Daisy's story? You better believe I am reading that book next. As a matter of fact it's already loaded on my kindle.





Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Also thank you to Elise Faber, Xavier Neal, and Lisa Suzanne for providing me with advanced copies of your books.