Monday, March 20, 2023

What I Read Last Week


Spring break is officially over, and my kids are back to school. We had a great week together, and didn't let that little bug ruin too much of our plans. My kids did a lot of fun activities, and hopefully made some good memories. I think the highlight was bowling. We all had a good time, and bowled decently. 

When it comes to reading my week was really good. I read 6 books, and enjoyed the majority of them. Four books were advanced copies from the authors (and/or PR teams), and two were already on my kindle. There were 3 small town romances, 2 sports romances, and 1 paranormal. It was a nice little variety.


So what were the six books that I read this week? Keep scrolling to find out!

I would love to hear about the books you read, or booktubers you watched, and anything bookish. Please share!

Happy Reading,
Laura



 Yours to Take by Emily Silver



The meet cute in this book had me laughing. The setting was fabulous. I love a good small town, and it being set on a family ranch was just that much better. Our heroine was lovable. Our hero had potential. While the story was good, this wasn't my favorite. It felt lacking, and that connection between the characters wasn't strong. I'll still be returning for the next book in the series because the Winchester family intrigues me. I want to see each of them get their happily ever after. I went into a little more detail with my review over on Goodreads.


A False Start by Elsie Silver



I LOVED this story. Seriously so good. Elsie Silver is an amazing writer, and the characters she creates are some of my favorites. While I did enjoy this story, I felt like it was missing a lot of Griff's point of view. I wanted more of his history, and his struggles. Plus there was that reveal that seemed major at the time, but then didn't really amount to anything. Again, I went into more detail over on Goodreads if you're curious.


Batter Up by Hallie Bennett

Oof, this book was a hot mess. I went in knowing it was a baseball romance with a plus size female main character. I also knew it was instalove. Instalove is fine. It is. As long as there is a connection between the characters. I did not feel that what so ever. Our heroine clearly hated her body, and her self esteem was in the trash. Then there was our hero who was over the top and quite annoying. He was trying to be all alpha-ish, but it was a miss. Thankfully this book was a novella so it all went quickly. Unfortunately I still wasted time reading it. 


Captive of the Night by Meg Anne & K Loraine

The Mate Games: Pestilence continues to pull me in. Not as much as War did, but that's okay. Different characters, different storylines, same world. I still am enjoying it. Now when the second book ended I thought that someone else was taken over. So when this book started and it was a different character I was confused. That could have just been my reading though and not fully paying attention. I liked this change up though, and how the possession played into the story. Also when the one characters past was revealed that was interesting. I knew there was something "special" about the character, but didn't know what it was. So this new piece of info just has things making sense. I am curious as to what will happen in the future, and how everything will play out. If you're wanting to read this book, it will be releasing on April 10, 2023. (although paperbacks are typically available a bit before hand.)


Almost Goodbye by Nola Marie


Oh Nola! This author continues to pull me into her storytelling, and has me falling for the characters. Almost Goodbye is Henry's story. We met him in the Sons of Sin series, and while I knew his story was coming, I didn't know what to expect. This age gap romance duet ends on a doozy of a cliffhanger. It is very much a second chance romance, and it is forbidden. Plus this small town is completely against Henry. Now because of what happened the town is also against Ashleigh. I loved that we were able to get to know Henry, and see all that he had been through over the years. I wish we had a point of view from Ashleigh during the same time. I would love to know what she dealt with during those 5 years. The way the secret came out was just what I was expecting. That being said I wasn't expecting what went down with Carter. Then there is Ashleigh's dad, and OOFTA he's a lot. I'm not a fan. I need the second half of this duet ASAP, but I have to wait until May. 


The Third Baseman by Lulu Moore

I don't even know what to say about this book. It wasn't really what I was expecting. Maybe it had to do with this being my introduction to Lulu Moore's storytelling. Or maybe it was the adding in of british terms (diary for schedule/calendar being one). Or it could have been the way the high school was portrayed that felt very hollywood, and not realistic. Or perhaps it was Jupiter and Marnie that I just didn't completely vibe with. I still cannot fully understand why 18 year old Jupiter did what he did. Yes it's been explained, but it still isn't sitting right. Now flash forward 14 years, and I'm confused as to why 32 year old Jupiter did what he did. I mean yes, he wanted her back, and was using that influence to make it happen, but again, not sitting right. Then there is Marnie, and I don't understand why she accepted the job. It doesn't matter how irresistible the owner is, you can still say no if it's not something you're interested in. Now did these two have a connection? Absolutely. From day one they had that connection. I'm not denying that. They are meant to be together. That much I can see. Now don't think I didn't like the book, because I did for the most part. I'm always up for a second chance romance, add in that it's sports related, and I'll read it. Will I read another book by Lulu? Possibly. I mean now that I know what to expect, I might give her books another go. The Third Baseman releases on March 29, 2023.



Thank you Emily Silver, Nola Marie, Lulu Moore, Meg Anne, and K Loraine for the advanced copies you provided me with.

Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!