Tuesday, April 18, 2023

What I Read 2 Weeks Ago

Hi. 

This post was supposed to be up on April 10, but a reading slump, as well as writers block hit. So that put a damper on things.

Thankfully the reading slump has been broken, and I'm hopeful that the writer's block will resolve itself soon.

The week of April 3, I only read three books. Only isn't the word I should use, and I know that. However when you're used to reading 6+ books a week, three just doesn't seem like a lot.

So what had the reading slump happen? It was two things. First I came off of a 5 star read that caused post book depression. The book was so fantastic, I loved the characters, and I did not want it to end. Yet it did, and I find myself wanting to read it again. I don't re-read books, but this one has me wanting to. You better believe a physical copy is coming to my house. The second thing was a slow moving book. I forced myself through it when I know better. It's not that I wanted to DNF the book, because I didn't. This was a book that I was looking forward to, but I didn't bond with the characters. Add in the slow burn aspect, and yeah. Those two things combined lead to the reading issues. I'm thankful that it only lasted a week.

The tropes I read this week include: Poly Romance, Sports Romance, Workplace, Why Choose, Friends to Lovers, Royal, Brother's Best Friend, Small Town Romance, Suspense, and Billionaire. There are more that I'm forgetting, but those are the basics.

What books did you read April 3-9? Also, have you read a book that TikTok has recommended? Because I did this week, and I freaking LOVED IT. 

Happy Reading,
Laura


Pucking Around by Emily Rath

TikTok made me do it. Seriously this book kept appearing on my For You Page, as did the author, and I couldn't not read it. The premise intrigued me. The why choose aspect intrigued me. Just everything that Emily Rath was sharing, had me curious, and then running to Amazon to download. This book is 700+ pages. That length seemed daunting, and it scared me a bit. HOWEVER once I was reading the story, I had met the characters, and everything was going on, it did not feel like a 700+ page book. I actually found myself wanting more. Ilmari is my favorite, and Caleb is a very close second. Jake is great too, but those other two men just speak to me. There were times that Rachel annoyed me, but those were few and far between. I am #TeamPrice. I am going to buy a physical copy of this book, and I just might read it again. You better believe that I have the next book on preorder already. Also did you see my favorite quotes from this book?


Ravishing Reign by Aleatha Romig

This freaking series....ugh! I didn't know when I started it that it was going to be a quartet. I was thinking trilogy, but obviously didn't know the author's intention. So when I got to the end of this book, and all that shit was going down, I wanted to throw my kindle. I thought I was going to get answers. I thought Roman and Lucille were going to get their happily ever after. But no. I have to wait for one more book. Aleatha Romig is torturing me. I am so invested. Yes this book moves a bit slow, but Roman and Lucille have a hold on me. I need to know what happens next, and how everything ends. 


Make You Mine by JH Croix

I have enjoyed JH Croix's writing and storytelling for a while now. Yes, I've had my ups and downs with some of the books, but I always get pulled back in and find myself remembering what I love. I went into Make You Mine with the best of intentions. I was excited about the book. I was curious about the setting and the characters. After reading their prequel, I needed to know how their happily ever after was going to happen. The story was decent. I loved the setting. I feel like there was room for improvement. The characters were just okay, but I didn't have a strong bond with either of them. I found myself more curious about side characters than the two that I was supposed to be focusing on. I don't know if this is just a first book in the series type issue, or if it something else. Time will tell. Yes I will be returning to Fireweed Harbor for at least the second book, maybe more. My curiosity is still there for the town, and the characters, so that's a good thing. Yeah. 



Thank you Aleatha Romig and JH Croix for providing me with advanced copies of your books.

Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!