Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Crushed by Elise Faber {a review}


 It's release day for Crushed by Elise Faber!! If you know me, then you know how much I adore the Gold Hockey series. I have read each, and every, book. Not only that but I have fallen HARD for the characters. This found family is one of my absolute favorites. Gold Hockey will always have a place in my heart as it is just simply wonderful.

With Crushed being book 18, it makes me wonder how much longer Elise Faber will continue on with the team. We've already witnessed many retirements, and there is a big one looming. I also am curious as to how Elise will handle Brit's retirement. That's been alluded to a couple of times now in different stories, and I'm not ready for her to retire. Her story was the first!

Will and Lily's story was enjoyable. Yes there were tense moments, steamy moments, as well as plenty of laughter and tears. These two have known each other for so many years. After all it was when Lily was 12, and Will was 16, that this crush first developed. Will squashed it then, and is still trying to put his distance to this day. Yet having Lily live in the same city, work at the same place, and become friends with the same people, it's getting more difficult to ignore any attraction. Plus Will needs to work through the mental hurdles that he has when it comes to Lily. Yes, she was like a sister to him all those years ago, but she's grown up. Maybe it's time to look past what used to be, and look toward the future.

That third act breakup was a doozy. I knew a breakup was coming, I just wasn't sure how it would play out. Especially since a breakup had been thwarted previously. When all of it did play out though, I wanted to knock some sense into the character. Yes it was a protective measure. Yes they thought they were doing the right thing. But clearly they were not. Now the reunion? Perfection. The grand gesture? FABULOUS! 

I also loved that we started to get the lay of the land for the next book, Changed. You already know I'll be reading it. Heck I have it preordered! Lucas and Maddy's story will be filled with enemies to lovers, hate to love, frustration, and realization. I am here for it! Now to wait until the end of August to read it.

Real quick note about the underlying storyline in Crushed. If you read the news reports a couple of years ago about the US gymnastics team, and the doctor- something similar plays out within this book. You don't see any of it, or really hear any of it, but it is a big part of Lily's story. There is also mention of a character succumbing to self harm. I mention this, because if those topics are things you want to avoid, then this might not be the book for you. I will say that the self harm is a small part of a chapter, whereas the other part is an undercurrent throughout. 

Have you read any of the books in the Gold Hockey series? How about the Rush series? Breakers Hockey? I haven't read any of the Breakers hockey books, but they are on my kindle waiting for me.

Thank you for reading,
Laura



Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Thank you Elise Faber, and 1852 Media, for providing me with an advanced copy of Crushed.