Wednesday, February 3, 2021

January Top 5


Hello my fellow book lovers!

Now that January is officially over, I want to take a moment to take a look back and recap my month. I will also be sharing my top 5 reads for the month, and believe me it was very difficult to make that selection.

Let's start with the stats.

In January, I read:

    • 19 books, all of which were e-books
    • 5,776 pages
    • 8 advanced reader copies 
    • 1 library e-book
    • 10 books I own and/or purchased

My average rating was 3.95 out of 5.

Speaking of ratings, my breakdown looks like this:

    • 3 books received 5 stars
    • 12 books were 4 stars
    • 4 books were given 3 stars
Not too shabby!

The longest book I read was One to Watch by Kate Stayman-London, and it was 424 pages.

The shortest book I read was One Night with the Rebel by Kendall Ryan, and that was 67 pages.

I also read 8 new to me authors! So that's pretty darn amazing.


Making this list was challenging. There were so many books that I loved, and so to narrow it down was a task. Trust me, numbers 3 through 5 were re-ordered a few times.

Before we dive into my top 5, I need to drop an honorable mention. The Bennett Duet by Xavier Neal was neck and neck with what I selected for my #5. So I feel it is the right thing to do by giving it a mention. If you are a fan of dark mafia romance, grab this duet. I cannot stop thinking about Benicio, Chantal, and Miko. (and yes, Xavier Neal has announced that Miko's story will be told, and I am so happy.)

Now that the honorable mention has been shared, let's move on to my top 5 favorite books of the month

#5

Connectivity 2.0 by Aven Ellis


If you know me at all, you know I adore the books that Aven Ellis releases. So when Connectivity 2.0 released in late January, I immediately read it. This is a sweet new adult rom-com where the couple meets on a plane headed for London. It is also a bit of a work place romance, as Oliver works closely with the owner of Connected Media, and well that is the company that Lauren is going to work for. If you want a rom-com with adorable characters, then read this book. It is worth it. (and no, you don't need to read the original Connectivity prior to reading 2.0, but it will help you understand everything with MK and William.)

#4

Blood and Bone by Paula Dombrowiak


This book was so good. I cannot recommend it enough. This is a fictional memoir of Jack and the band Mogo. It alternates between current day, and flashing back to when the band was still a band. This book captivated me, and I was so bummed when it ended. 

If you enjoyed Daisy Jones & the Six or The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, then I think it's safe to say Blood and Bone would be a good read for you. Blood and Bone is the perfect merge of those two Taylor Jenkins Reid books.


#3

Folkestone Sins by Samantha Lovelock


Okay I'm cheating just slightly on this one. But hear me out. Both of these books were amazing. That being said, if you read Fragile Things and know how it ends, then you know why I couldn't not choose Fractured Things as well. This series has started off so strong, and I am eagerly anticipating the next book! 

If you enjoy young adult slash new adult books that are a bit dark, feature rich kids, and have a bit of a mystery to them, then read this series. Seriously so good. Just one bit of warning, each book ends with a cliffhanger. My mind is spiraling a bit wondering how this series is going to wrap up. Guess I'll find that out in June.

#2

Only When It's Us by Chloe Liese

Only When It's Us is the first book in the Bergman Brothers series, and it has been my favorite of the books released thus far. This slow burn, enemies to lovers romance was so good. From how Chloe Liese discussed Ryder's hearing disability, to the way she handled the cancer part of the storyline, to the relationship that Willa and Ryder developed, it was just spectacular. Ryder and Willa are my favorite couple from this series. Hands down. There is just something about these two that drew me in, and it was their relationship that secured their spot on my top 5 list.

So what book topped my list? 



#1

The Edge of Happiness by Kristin Turnage


The Edge of Happiness took me on an emotional journey. Not only did I fall for the characters, I fell for the setting as well. This story had me wanting to dive inside the world, and take up residence. The community that Cassie finds herself surrounded by, is outstanding. The way her new circle of friends gathers around her, is what I think a lot of people wish to have. Then there is that little twist toward the end that I wasn't expecting, but I am so glad it happened. It explains so much. It also makes me love these characters all the more. I've already told the author that I look forward to the second book in this series, and that I am eagerly awaiting the news for who the leads will be. I'm torn between wanting three different couples. 

There you have it. My top 5 books of January. What was your favorite book that you read in January? Do you think I'd enjoy it? Have you read any of the books I mentioned?

Here's hoping that when I go to make February's list that it is equally as challenging.

Happy Reading,