Friday, October 15, 2021

Change on the Fly by Maren Moore {a review}

 

I just read yet another hockey romance. I'm not saying I have an obsession, but I mean...

Change on the Fly is the brand new release from Maren Moore. Not only that, but it is also the puck drop for the Totally Pucked series! Reader friends, this book had me completely enamored. Plus it features one of my top 3 favorite tropes; best friend's sibling!

So what happens in the book? Well we have Reed who is a professional hockey player for the Chicago Avalanche, and we have Holland who is best friend's with Reed's sister. These two have know each other for YEARS, and Reed has always had Holland placed in the "friend" category. That is until the night he has to pick up his sister and Holland from a party. Something about that night had Reed seeing her differently. Fast forward to Reed receiving a life changing phone call where he must decide whether or not to become the guardian for his 3 year old nephew. Obviously he makes the choice to take Evan in, and one night he calls Holland in a panic. Evan is crying, struggling to sleep, and Reed doesn't know what to do. Holland to the rescue. The next day, Reed goes to Holland's house (well her Dad's) to attempt to fix the furnace. It's shot. There's no saving it. Which crushes Holland because a new furnace is not in the budget. It is then and there that Reed comes up with a plan that will benefit them both. He proposes that he will take care of the cost, and since she shot him down already about that generous offer, he then goes on to say that to pay him back, she can travel with him to take care of Evan while he is at practices and games. It only has to be for the away games. Done and done. All is going fine until one night at the hotel. It changes everything, and Holland doesn't want anyone to know. Not even Reed's sister. (aka her best friend)

Best friend's sibling + forced proximity = YES PLEASE!

First things first, I am LOVING all these hockey romances from Maren Moore. LOVING THEM! I am absolutely hooked, and my obsession is not waning. Not only does Change on the Fly feature one of my top 3 favorite tropes, it is also just a really good story. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few nitpicky things that I would have changed, but I'm just setting those aside for now. My heart went out to Reed when he had to call his father, and when his father shared the news that he did. Ugh. Heartstrings pulled. Then when Evan was introduced, and the entire situation that had Holland come over, again, those heartstrings were pulled. So good. I love how giving Reed is. Whether it is with his mom, his sister, his teammates, Holland, Holland's dad, or his nephew. He is a giver, and he doesn't want anyone to not be loved. I love how compassionate Holland is. I love how they both worry about how Emery is going to react to their relationship. How they both know how explosive she can be in certain situations. They truly think they are minimizing all of this. The texts regarding the octopus had me smiling. It may have pulled at those heartstrings a little bit too. I REALLY want to talk about the big dramatic moment that our couple had. You know what I'm talking about, that moment that drives them apart, and you're just waiting on the reunion to happen. You can probably figure out what that moment is, but don't go thinking it isn't a big thing, because it is. Feelings were hurt, and it wasn't handled the best. The reunion though, oh that was just so sweet. It made me happy. Of course then there was that situation with Briggs at the end that has me anticipating the next book! Oh I need it.

Reader friends, you should really go pick up Change on the Fly. It has it's sweet moments, it has it's steamy moments, it is just feels good. Also, it's a quick and easy read that features a professional hockey player, and our heroine is a book lover who is getting her masters so that she can be a librarian. So what's not to love?

Thank you for reading my thoughts on the book.

Laura


Imagine being in love with your best friend's brother.

Then.. keeping it a secret for years.

Ridiculously charming, a total player and a hockey super star... Reed Davidson has been the boy next door who's had my heart for as long as I can remember.

He was the ultimate bad boy, and I was just his sister’s shy best friend.

But when Reed's world is suddenly flipped upside down and he gets custody of his nephew, I'm the only one who can help.

I shouldn’t have agreed to come on the road with them, but Reed wasn’t cut out to be a single dad and I knew he needed help.

I tried to hide my feelings for him, but the two of us, the cutest kid on the planet, and a long hockey season were a recipe for disaster.

Reed was used to getting everything he ever wanted, and this time... He wanted me.

Only now, the stakes are higher and my heart is the one on the line.


#1ClickHere
Available in Kindle Unlimited

Add to your Goodreads TBR!





AUTHOR LINKS

Facebook | Reader Group | Instagram | Goodreads | Amazon


Hosted by:


Thank you to Maren Moore, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced copy of Change on the Fly.