Thursday, October 14, 2021

Missing Maverick by Anna Brooks {a review}

 

It's time! It's time for Missing Maverick by Anna Brooks! If you've been following me for a while now, you know that I have read the other two books in the Ryder Ranch series, and absolutely loved them.  You may also know that I have been WAITING for Maverick's story. He captured my attention back in Hoping for Hunter, and I just HAD TO KNOW everything.

In Missing Maverick, we have Maverick Ryder and Cricket McBride. These two were high school sweethearts, and Maverick was ready to propose. Then Cricket left to go to New York, and Maverick's heart was shattered. Fast forward 13 years, and Maverick is a dad of 2 girls, working with his family, and still grieving the relationship he lost. Then there's Cricket. She has been in New York, found a couple family members, buried a family member, got married, got divorced, and is returning home. She still loves Maverick, but she is positive that he will never forgive her. The day that Maverick walks into The Pig is the day that he and Cricket reunite. This does not go well, and has just brought back all the feelings from years ago. Now, can these two find a way back to each other? Or are they destined to stay apart? What about Cricket's ex-husband? Is he going to be an issue for them?


Missing Maverick did not disappoint. Yes there were a few things I would have preferred to be a bit different, but in the grand scheme of things, I am a happy camper. Maverick's backstory is interesting. Knowing how close he and Cricket were, to how he reacted after she left, to his daughters, to just who he became after Cricket left, and after his mom left. Those were two major events in his life. But Cricket has been through some stuff too. Yes she had her reason for leaving, but as we learn, she wasn't planning on staying away. Life just happened and delayed her return. Then there was her marriage, her divorce, and the whole situation she dealt with because of her ex. It was a lot. I suppose this is also where I should mention that there is a content warning regarding domestic violence. It is just mentioned, not re-enacted and there isn't graphic detail or anything like that. But if that is something you struggle to read about, know that it is part of Cricket's story. I love these characters. I love this setting. I want to visit there. I want to become friends with these fictional people. Just yes. There was a lot of drama in this book. There was a little suspense as well. And Mama Ryder makes an appearance after being gone for years. Let's just say I got choked up with that one. Oh the emotions. One more thing, Maverick was a bit of an ass in this book. Yes, I know, Cricket returning triggered emotions, but dang he was a grump.

Like I said, I loved this book. I love this series. It is of no surprise that I am looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm thinking it is Mack's story! But now I have to wait until July 2022. Excuse me while I go cry. (and pray that the release date is pushed up.)

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on Missing Maverick. If you enjoy cowboy romances that are set in small towns then you need to read this entire series!

Laura



I was going to love her until my last breath, and she promised to do the same… but she lied.

Cricket McBride packed up without warning, ditching our small town and the life we were going to build together. She left me with tears in her eyes, a kiss on my cheek, and an empty heart that had done nothing but hardened over the years.

My life wasn’t what I thought it would be, but I’d long since accepted it for what it was. I was content with working on my family ranch and being the best father I could. And I was fine with that.

Or so I thought.

When Cricket returned, one look was all it took for me to admit I still cared, but it wasn’t until I saw the marks on her skin and the pain in her soul that I realized just how deep that love went. Because the same hands that held her tight also promised to protect her… and I never broke a promise.  



Grab Your Copy Here!
Add to your Goodreads TBR!


Binge the Series Now!


Meet Anna Brooks


The first time Anna tried to read a romance novel, her hair caught on fire when she leaned over a candle to sneak a peek at her mom’s Harlequin. She thinks being hit on the head with a shirtless Fabio until the smoke cleared is what sparked the flame for her love of romance. 

Anna was born in Wisconsin, but currently lives in Texas with her husband and two boys. 


She writes sexy romance that always has a happy ending and loves bringing characters back for cameos. Less than six degrees of separation connects any of her novels. 


When she’s not writing or reading, she’s watching reruns of her favorite romcoms, talking to her dog and cat like they’re human, eating carbs, or practicing hand lettering. 

 

She loves to hear from readers and can be found on social media as @annabrooksauth everywhere.


Connect with Anna Brooks

Hosted By:
Thank you to Anna Brooks, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced copy of Missing Maverick.