Friday, December 10, 2021

12 Days of Christmas {book tag}


As I was preparing for my first ever Bookmas (blogmas), I fully admit that I did a google search for seasonal book tags. That search lead me to Zezee with Books blog, and this 12 days of Christmas tag. The tag was originally posted on the Falling Down the Book Hole blog back in 2014.

Well I've decided to participate.Thankfully tags like this can be timeless, so we can over look the fact that I'm sharing a tag from 7 years ago.

Before we start, a quick note: my answers will only take into consideration the books that I've read in 2021.

Let's do this!



On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: a partridge in a pear tree.

The partridge stood alone in the pear tree.

What was your favorite stand alone?


Hands down it was Dirt Queen by Nora Blake. As soon as I read this question, Nora's book came to mind. Loved this story that was based on real life happenings. Oh the tears that I shed.





On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: two turtle doves

Love is in the air!

Who is your one true pairing?
Out of all the books I've read this year, choosing a favorite couple was TORTURE. How do I choose between Sarah and AaronStella and Poe? Sunday and Payne? Cara and Jake? Bella and Camden? Ryan and CassieCecelia and her love interest? The list goes on and on.

Yet, I have to say the title goes to Joss and Mac! Their story was absolutely wonderful, and I was sobbing frequently. My heart was taken by them.







On the third day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: three french hens.

In the spirit of threes:

What is the best trilogy you have read?

Flor de Muertos by Jocelyne Soto. From the very first page of Vicious Union, to the very last page of Vindictive Blood, I was ALL IN. So good. Highly recommend.





On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: four calling birds.

Since series typically consist of 4 or more books,

What is your favorite series?

I chose to treat this question as favorite completed series. No matter what thought, the men in blue from the Birch County Heroes series by April Canavan is at the top of the list. Every single book in this series hit me in the feels, and I cried numerous times. Such a fantastic series. I started this series this year, and finished it as well. Cannot wait to read more from April Canavan.





On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me: five golden rings.

One ring to rule them all!

Who is your favorite villain/antagonist?

Queen Antonia from the Modern Royals series by Aven Ellis. This woman is a piece of work, and oh the drama she causes. 
(if you know, you know)






On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: six geese a laying.

Creation is a beautiful thing.

What is your favorite world/world-building?

I have no clue what small town the Southern series is set in (or based upon), but Natasha Madison has me wanting to move there. Of course she also has me wanting to befriend all these characters, so there's that. 




On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: seven swans a swimming.

Who needs seven swans when all it takes is ONE good animal sidekick to make a hero rock!

Who is your favorite animal sidekick?

Not a lot of the books I read seem to have animals present. But the one that came to mind immediately was Daisy, from the Birch County Heroes series.

She's a k-9 for the police force, and she had served in the military as well. We first met Daisy in Balls to the Wall, and I still cannot get over everything that happened. Daisy did her job wonderfully.






On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: eight maids a milking.

Milk is so 18th century.

Which book, or series, takes beverages/food to a whole new level?

Hmm...I could go with Birch County Heroes again because of their obsession with pizza and tacos. Or I could go with the Southern series, and all of the baking/cooking they do in that series. But I think I'm going to go with Make it Sweet by Kristen Callihan. Who can resist a former hockey player who makes fantastic food? Plus the romance was pretty steamy as well.






On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: nine ladies dancing.

Dancing is just one skill of a lady!

Who is your favorite kick-ass female lead?

I couldn't choose one without the other, because together they are unstoppable. 

Stella & Sunday






On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: ten lords a leaping.

Leaping Lords?

How about who is your favorite leading lad?
I was torn between two of Xavier Neal's leading men. Part of me thought Beni from the Bennett Duet, and then I was also leading toward King from the Camelot Misfits MC series.

Ultimately, King won out.







On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: eleven pipers piping.

Where would we be without music?

What is your favorite book that deals with music?



I have to say the Blood and Bone duet from Paula Dombrowiak! Jack's story is fantastic, and he's haunted by his past, and it is affecting his relationship with Erin.





On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: twelve drummers drumming.

Drum roll please...

What is your favorite book of the year?

Um. But. How am I supposed to answer this? After all I have a favorite for each month! 
(post coming soon)

After a lot of deliberation, my choice for favorite book of 2021 was....


The Edge of Happiness by Kristin Turnage. Ryan and Cassie stole my heart back in January, and I have done nothing but gush about this book, the characters, and the author. It was Kristin's debut, and this new adult romance was fantastic. Cassie's story hit me in the feels, and oh the tears that were shed. I loved every moment of it, and am eagerly anticipating The Edge of Redemption. It is Jace's story, and it's coming in early 2022.




Oofta that was intense! Choosing a book or character to be at the top of my list was definitely not easy! Then having to choose my favorite of the year? EGADS!

How would you answer these questions? Especially your favorite book of the year!

Happy Reading,
Laura