Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Favorite Books of each Month {2021}


If you read my 12 days of Christmas post, then you know which book was declared my FAVORITE of 2021! Believe me when I say that was not an easy declaration to make, but I am sticking with that selection.

Throughout 2021 I kept a list in my planner for my monthly favorite. Some months were easier to choose than others, I will say that! Occasionally there were those months where a few books would stand out, but I would force myself to narrow it down to just the one.

So what books were my monthly favorites? Let's take a gander.

January



This was Kristin's debut novel, and it was so dang good. What a start to 2021! If you enjoy small town, new adult romances that hit you in the emotions, then go grab this one. I think you'll fall for Ryan and Cassie! As well as all the side characters. Cassie has been through so much in her life, especially as of late. Now she's forced to stay with family in this small town where she doesn't really know anyone. All while grieving what she has lost.

(ps: there is a content warning regarding sensitive material, so please keep that in mind.)


February



A professional hockey player and an actress?!? What's not to love? Oh wait, how about the fact that Lucian has mad skills in the kitchen? These two are escaping the scrutiny of the public while they heal. Lucian is healing from his potentially career ending injury, and Emma was just killed off her very popular tv show. So not only did she lose her job, she also walked in on her boyfriend with another person. So she needs to escape to recharge, and figure out what happens next in her life. Falling for Lucian was not part of the plan.



March



Now this feels like cheating a little bit, but I assure you this was a singular book. Well e-book. Although it is available in print format as well, just know that the font is extremely small. (or so I've heard.) Rylee is a social worker who is overcoming a tragedy in her life. Colton is a professional race car driver who has quite the bad boy image. These two falling for each other was everything! You definitely ride the waves in their relationship. This isn't just about their story though, it also brings in the boys who live in the house Rylee helps to manage. I can feel the tears coming back just thinking about this book. Sigh. So good!



April



If you know me, you know that I LOVE the characters and settings that Natasha Madison creates. LOVE THEM. Southern Heart is the fifth book in the southern series, and oh this one starts off with a bang. Imagine babysitting during a rain storm, the power goes out, and suddenly there is knocking on the door. You go to open the door, and a badly injured man drops inside. The only thing he says is Ethan. Thankfully Chelsea is a nurse, she is able to help, but first she is needs to get Ethan on the phone. Once Ethan arrives, it is determined that this man is Maysen, one of Ethan's buddies from the military. This book is an emotional journey, and so worth bingeing. 



May



I have been classifying this book as a friends to lovers romance, because in my mind that is what it is. Recently though I have learned that I am misinformed on my categorization (romance vs women's fiction), and it's because of how the book ends. Now I'm not going to ruin it the ending for you, butI did want to mention that little tidbit.

What I will tell you is that the story between Sarah and Aaron is passion filled. It is all consuming. It is filled with familiarity, with a sense of homecoming, with the desire for forever. We get to witness these two friends reconnecting after years apart. We see how they build this friendship into something more. We see the love, the issues, the pain, the frustration, and the heartache. Nora's debut novel, which is based on a true story, was such a wonderful read. I still think about this book on a regular basis.



June




If I could have ALL of the Folkestone Sins books on this list I would. I just adore these characters, as well as the storyline. It was in June that Ruined Things released, and this was the second half of Payne and Sunday's story. What a ride it was too. More secrets have been revealed. More of the story is starting to unfold, and oh this book has me anticipating Wounded Things. Wounded Things is rumored to be the final book in the series, and I cannot wait to find out how Samantha Lovelock is going to wrap up all the loose ends. 



July



I have been seeing Debbie Tung's drawings pop up here and there for a while now. When a certain drawing had been shared, I found myself doing a deep dive to look at other pieces she's posted online. Well that lead to me discovering she has released a few books. One of those books was Quiet Girl in a Noisy World. This book is all about an introvert, her life, and her passion for books. It was like seeing bits and pieces of my life reflected back on paper. I found myself wanting to make copies of certain pages so that I could cut them out to frame them, or add them to my planner. This comic style book is perfect if you're looking for a quick read that is also entertaining while being relatable. I have since gone of to purchase two additional books by Debbie, and am keeping my ear to the ground about any future releases. Because I will buy them.



August

The Edge of Serenity by Kristin Turnage


Yeah, that's right, Kristin Turnage is on my list TWICE. The Edge of Serenity was filled with heartache, pain, friendship, family, passion, and of finding your forever person. It was about growing up, believing in yourself, and having someone to walk along side of you through the highs and lows. I could not get enough of Joss and Mac. I look forward to seeing bits and pieces of them in The Edge of Redemption (Jace and AJ's story).



September



This is the sixth book in the Boston Hawks hockey series by Gina Azzi. What started as a weekend spent together with the hopes of something more, were quickly dashed out when Luca didn't call. He didn't reach out. Abbi was crushed. These two were given a second chance though when Abbi accepted a job working for the Hawks organization. It was just what they needed to reconnect, and fight for their future together. There is passion, love, heartache, drama, lack of communication, and there is healing. There is two people taking this second chance and running with it. It was fantastic. Actually this entire series has been fantastic. The Hawks have grabbed my attention, and I am a major fan.


October



This is the fourth and final book in the Campus Nights series, and what a ride it was! Johnny Maverick is leaving college, and has been signed by the Minnesota Wildcats hockey organization. It's everything he's ever wanted, but it's also difficult to leave campus. His friends are here. The woman he is captivated by is here. When Johnny hears Dakota talking about an internship that she had to turn down (because it was unpaid), he knew he had to step in. Johnny used his resources to provide for Dakota in a way that she would accept. As in he didn't tell her he was behind it all. This friends to lovers story was the perfect finale for the series. We witnessed Dakota and Johnny finally act upon their attraction, we saw what they could be together, and we were able to see Dakota doing a job that she loved. When the drama came, the tears were flowing. I knew a happily ever after was coming, but in that moment I had my doubts. The grand gestures and the fighting for their future was spectacular. Wild Love was also a fantastic way for Rebecca Jenshak to set the stage for her Wildcats Hockey series. (Which you should go read Wildcat, it was so good!)



November



In the past I have not been a fan of anthologies. The ones that I had read were various stories by the authors, but the stories didn't tie together. Yes it was a great way to find new authors, but it wasn't everything I wanted. So when I started Snowed Inn for Christmas I was a bit worried. Well I shouldn't have been. This anthology was everything I could have ever wanted. The way this anthology was set up, and executed, was PERFECTION! From the way one author started the series, to the stories set in between, to how it all wrapped up, just held my attention. It was as though I was living in a Hallmark movie or miniseries, and I am here for it. Winter Falls is a small ski town community where there is romance about to explode. A lot of the stories in this book are forced proximity and/or shared bed. So if that is something you enjoy, then go grab this anthology.  My favorite may have been between the hacker and the billionaire. Oh that was a good one. Just go read this anthology. Put it on your January TBR!



December



Until December 28 I had another book listed as my favorite read of December. This spot was supposed to go to Exodus by Kate Stewart. After all that book pops up in my mind CONSTANTLY (we love rainy days, don't we baby?). Yet that all changed last night.

Last night I read an advanced copy of Only One Mistake. This is the sixth book in the Only One series, and oh my word. Michael Horton is all grown up, and after issues with his coach became too much, he was traded to the Dallas Oilers. (The same team his cousin Cooper Grant plays for.) The night he arrives, he goes to a restaurant where he meets Jillian. Jillian is there for a blind date, and unfortunately gets stood up. But that is when Michael steps in. From the meet cute, to the steamy moments of their one night stand, to the way they reconnect months later, to Max and Allison coming to town, this book just tugged on my heartstrings. Then when Jillian told Michael about her dad's favorite hockey player, I melted. MELTED. Ugh, I was a mess. Getting to see the OGs make an appearance, as well as many of the cousins, just had me smiling like a fool.  Also, Michael is no different than Matthew Grant, and that had me laughing. (iykyk) But what really hit me in the feels, and caused tears to fall, was when Michael called Max and asked him if they would come see him that day. If they would hop on a plane, and come to Dallas. He needed his parents. Oh the emotions.

Also, prepare yourself for the scenes with Matthew, Max, and Allison, because chances are you'll be laughing all while flashing back to their stories. My review for Only One Mistake will be going up on January 4, which is when it releases. You're going to love Jillian and Michael!




So there you have it. My favorite books for each month of 2021. Curating this list brought up the memories of all the stories. As I was writing I found myself reflecting on the stories, the characters, the settings, and the emotions that I felt with each book. I loved every moment of it.

What were your favorites for each month? Do you have a favorite for 2021?

Happy Reading,
Laura