Friday, January 28, 2022

The Joker by Ashley Munoz {a review}

 

The Joker by Ashley Munoz is now available! This is the third, and final, book in the Rake Forge University series and it will demand your attention. You do not want to miss out on this frenemies to lovers mafia romance.

Ooh, what a story!

If you've read the previous two books in the series, then you know that Kyle has been working with his Uncle Scotty for a while now. You also know that it felt a bit suspicious, and you just had this feeling that he was up to no good. Well, The Joker fills us in on what exactly Kyle has done, and what the plan for the future is.

As the story starts, Kyle and Rylie are finishing up their senior year of high school. They are having fun, doing all the usual things, and have created a plan for the summer. Yet in the back of Rylie's mind, she knows that Kyle is hiding something, and it isn't sitting right with her. Still though she continues on, and they move forward with their original plan. One thing to note is that Rylie has been in love with Kyle for as long as she can remember. Deep down she knows he is her person, but she assumes he doesn't feel the same. Flash forward to shortly before college starts. Kyle appears at Rylie's house one night, and they spend a steamy night together. When Rylie's parents arrive home the next morning, Kyle leaves. But he doesn't just leave her house, he leaves the country! We see Rylie continue on with her college plans. We see her grieve the relationship. We see her grieve a loss. We see her working at an establishment that is known for having the local mafia families in attendance. Then we also see her visiting her dad. So basically she's moving on with her life to the best of her ability. Then one day, Kyle's back. Except she doesn't fully realize it's him at first. Yet she feels the connection, the draw. As for Kyle, he immediately knows that it's Rylie. He'd know her anywhere. From here on out, things pick up speed, and it is a wild ride.

I honestly wasn't sure how invested I was going to be in Rylie and Kyle's story. We had only seen small glimpses of them in the previous two stories, so I didn't "know" them. Yet here I am having recently finished the story, and I absolutely loved their story!

From their pact for the summer before college, to the heartache, to the reunion, to all the drama, it was just fantastic.

The storyline with Rylie's dad? OH MY WORD. Dang. I mean I kind of saw that coming, but at the same time I didn't see it at that level. So that was something.

If you've read the previous two books in the Rake Forge University series, then you need to read Kyle and Rylie's story to see how everything plays out.

I gave The Joker 4.5 stars on Goodreads. Seriously so dang good, and the amount of action was amazing. Ashley Munoz did a fabulous job with this book, and really the entire series. Kudos.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on The Joker. Please go read this book! Then come talk to me about it.

Laura

Cover Design: Amanda Simpson @ Pixel Mischief Designs

Kyle James cashed in my V card and then disappeared like I was the finishing act in a magic show.

I vowed to hate my best friend, turn the longing and secret obsession with him into toxic hate and maybe a poorly chosen tattoo.

But as the years passed, I let go of any notions I'd ever see him again...until he sauntered on campus my senior year as a new transfer student.

All of Rake Forge was obsessed with his inked skin and that darkness that seemed to seep out of every methodical step he took.

I wasn't. I knew the boy underneath, and while I wanted to know where he'd been...I would never ask.

Until my dad needed a favor. His team required a way in with my ex-best friend and his contacts.

I knew Kyle would see through it...but I went anyway.

Suddenly, my world, made of black and white was bleeding color...and he was at the center, daring me to trust him.

My heart, blind and foolish chose to not only trust but to love him too.

I really should have known better.

I was merely a way in for my father, and for the man, I loved...I was just a way out.



Add to your Goodreads TBR!



New to Rake Forge University? Start from the beginning:






Meet Ashley Munoz

Ashley was born in Nebraska, but raised in Oregon where she lives with her four children and husband. If she's not helping her husband with DIY projects around the house, she's writing or sneaking off to a corner to read.

Connect with Ashley






Hosted by:


Thank you to Ashley Munoz, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced copy of The Joker.