Thursday, February 3, 2022

Soft Like Thunder by Julia Wolf {a review}


Soft Like Thunder is the first book in the new Savage U series by J. Wolf. This is a dark college romance that explores mature themes and dubious situations. You are guaranteed a badass heroine, bad guys, and a satisfying happily ever after.

If you read the description of Soft Like Thunder, you may have this vision in your head for what this story is, and how it's all going to play out. What I can tell you is that you're wrong. Take that description with a grain of salt. Don't read into the wording. Take it at face value. Honestly there are pieces of the description that sound a bit stalker-ish, and that is not what happens at all.

So here's what I can tell you. Soft Like Thunder is a college romance featuring Helen, Theo, and a whole cast of characters. Focusing on Helen and Theo, these two appear to be opposites. Helen comes from nothing. Her mom is not fit to be a mother, and the relationship there is strained. Helen is trying her best though to survive. Plus she has a little sister who needs her, who relies on her. One day while working, in walk three rich boys. You can just feel the better than thou vibe rolling off them. They are not in the shop to buy anything though, they are looking for a dealer hookup. It is here where we first meet Theo, Deacon, and Daniel. Daniel is a walking red flag. Deacon isn't much better. But Theo, he's a bit different, and convinces the guys to leave before Helen attacks. It is also here where Helen's life is about to change. It is here where she meets Mads, and Mads has a proposition for Helen. Flash forward a year. Helen's life has changed, in someways for the better, and unfortunately someways for the worst. But here she is moving into the dorms at Savage U. Little does she know that in a matter of days, she's going to run into Theo again. Theo's life has changed also. He's no longer on the wrestling team, he's single, and he's living at the frat house with his friends. Turns out Theo and Helen share a class together, and he comes to her rescue the first day. From here, a curiosity is piqued. A spark has been ignited, and these two opposites are drawn together. One thing leads to another, and both agree to a FWB relationship.  Can they find a way to take their current relationship to the next level? Will Helen be able to find a way out of her situation? What will Theo's dad think about all this? What was Helen's opportunity with Mads? All of that is revealed in this wild ride of a story.

As I started reading Soft Like Thunder, I immediately had this preconceived scenario playing in my head. Yes it's hate to love, maybe a little bit of enemies to lovers, but it is more than that. It is these two people who have similar life experiences, yet because of Theo's current situation that it appears as though they are opposites. These two make each other whole. It sounds cheesy but it's true. 

The scenes with Amir and Reno were a bit harder to read about. Knowing what Helen's mom had agreed to, and how that affected Helen's life, was just a lot. It was intense. It was freaking selfish. Yet here's Helen making it happen. Doing things she doesn't really want to do at her job in order to pave the way for her future plans. 

Theo has knocked down her walls quite a bit. She finds him easy to talk to, and ends up confiding in him quite a bit. He's Fort Knox though, and he isn't giving up much information about his past. Slowly things creep out, but it isn't until after the big dramatic moment that the walls crumble down.

Let's back up just a smidgen. I was a bit confused by Theo in the beginning. He has this air about him that was different than the circle he was running with. There was compassion. There was understanding. There was little judgement. When he and Helen began their FWB relationship, Theo's mask began slipping even more. We saw the person he truly was, and that person is amazing. That person has been through a lot, and he's just trying to stay away from the past. At the same time he's trying to walk a fine line with his dad. His dad just happens to be the president of the university, and he's sketchy as shit.

There is so much that happened in this book that I can't even begin to touch on. From Helen's second encounter with Deacon (well the second that we know of), to everything with Daniel the walking red flag, and to the situation with Reno outside the club, it just was all very intense. It showed the reality of Helen's situation though, and how crap just keeps getting piled on.

I want to tell you about the moment when Helen called Lachlan for help. How he was by her side, and went into protector mode. How the moment he heard about Theo's plan, he was right by his side going into battle. I also want to tell you about Elena and Zadie who are Helen's roommates. I had my doubts about Elena in the beginning, but she quickly changed her tune, and became a character I actually liked. Zadie I loved from the first introduction. I also really want to tell you about the amazing speech that Helen gave. It was full of emotions, and I may have teared up a bit. I want to tell you all about the stolen moments that Helen and Theo had. I want to tell you everything, but I can't do that.

Here's what you need to know...Helen is a fighter. She is strong. She is fierce. She will do what she needs to do to protect herself, her sister, and anyone she holds dear. Theo is very similar to this. He is protective. He is willing to do whatever is necessary to make things right. Together these two are that much stronger. They are two halves becoming whole.

I adored this book. Yes the topics discussed were not always easy to read about. They were dark. They were hard hitting. Yet at the same time, it's experiences that people deal with in real life. Go into this book with an open mind knowing that sensitive topics are discussed. If you're anything like me, you'll find yourself falling for Helen, Theo, Zadie, Lachlan, and Elena. You'll also want to be a fly on the wall during a couple scenes. Yet you may also find yourself wondering how things played out with Helen's mom. I know that is one question that I haven't had answered yet. But that's okay. All in all I enjoyed this story, and cannot wait for the next installment. I'm hoping it is Zadie's story, yet at the same time I want to see if Lachlan ends up with who I think he will.

Julia Wolf has created an interesting little world here at Savage U, and I cannot wait to revisit.

Oh, rating wise, 4.5 stars. Helen and Theo's story is going to stay in my mind for some time. I just know it. So dang good.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on Soft Like Thunder. Now, go pick up this dark college romance, read it, and discuss it with me.

Laura 


Cover Design: Kate Farlow
Cover Photo: Wander Aguiar

Helen. What a sweet name for a girl who is anything but.

The first time I laid eyes on Theo Whitlock, I chased him and his frat boy friends with a bat.


I’m no white knight.

I’m broke. He’s rich. I destroyed his car. He chooses not to rat me out.

I was never supposed to go to college, but especially not one like Savage U, where only the wealthiest need apply. One might call this a lucky break, only I don’t feel so lucky with a drug dealer breathing down my neck, and a gangster threatening to burn my house down.

You have a face that could launch a thousand ships.

Theo and I don’t make sense, but being with him feels good, and I need more than my books and classes to distract me from the chaos and violence in my life.

I know you’re my good girl. Aren’t you, Helen? Tell me.

We’re casual. No complications. We have to be. I’m keeping secrets, and I have a feeling behind Theo Whitlock’s twinkly blue eyes is a whole world of darkness.


Do you think about me?

Too much…


Did I hurt you?

He will...if the other savages don’t get to me first.





Add Soft Like Thunder to your Goodreads TBR!




Meet Julia Wolf

Julia Wolf is a lover of all things romance. From steamy, to sweet, to funny, to so dirty you’ll be blushing for days, she loves it all.

Formerly a hair stylist, she spent years collecting stories her clients couldn’t wait to spill. And now that she’s writing full time, she’s putting those stories to use, although all identifying characteristics have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent!

Julia lives in Maryland with her three crazy, beautiful kids and her patient husband who she’s slowly converting to a romance reader, one book at a time.

Connect with Julia


Hosted by:

Thank you to Julia Wolf, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced review copy of Soft Like Thunder.