Thursday, April 14, 2022

Bonds We Break by Paula Dombrowiak {a review}


If you know me, then you know that a little over a year ago I read a book called Blood and Bone. It is a rockstar romance that reads more along the lines of Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo with a little Daisy Jones & the Six mixed in. We learn about Jack's life, and relationships, through an interview he is doing with Erin. I absolutely adored that book. Then when I heard Breath to Bear was being released and it was also about Jack and Erin, I had to read it. That book was also fantastic. Which brings me to today. Today Paula Dombrowiak has released Bonds We Break. Bonds We Break is Mia's story.  If you've read the previous two books in the series, then you know how Mia's story ends. Bonds We Break takes us through her time with Mogo, fills us in on what happened with Cash and Jack, and answers a lot of questions. We also learn more about her final moments.

Having already known how Mia's story ends, I was a bit hesitant to go into Bonds We Break. Yet I felt the need to know what happened between Mia and Cash, as well as more about the relationship between Mia and Jack. I knew it was going to be intense. I knew it was going to be dramatic. I knew it was going to be a bit emotional. Paula Dombrowiak did not disappoint in her storytelling.

Throughout the story I found myself fully captivated by everything that happened. I have a better understanding of who Mia Stone was, and the impact that she had on those around her. Not just Jack and Cash, but those who she worked with during her writing career.

Mia was a creative woman who was passionate about music. She loved with everything she had. While she thought she would ruin everyone, it was actually quite the opposite. She left a mark on everyone she met. All of whom would remember her for years to come.

As for her relationship with Cash, while it was meant to be, it was also doomed from the start. There was love, friendship, and desire there, but trust was missing. In a way it was as though a true respect was also missing. I wonder if that doesn't come back to Mia thinking she'd ruin everyone.

Nothing new was really shed about Mia and Jack's relationship, but what I am now curious about is Wade and Adam. Part of me wants their origin story, and to see how that time at Berkeley affected their relationship. Of course I am also anticipating Cash's story so that I can see things from his perspective when it comes to Mia, Jack, and the band.

Mia was fortunate to find love twice in her life. These relationships were all encompassing. They were intense. They were passionate. They were life altering. One was similar to an addiction, the other had the potential for forever. Life events affected both of them, and that lead to their demise. Of course Mia also had her love of music, and that truly was her lifeline. It was her blessing. It was her passion. Music was her outlet for all the pent up anger, frustration, heartache, and love. 

Books like Bonds We Break can be a bit difficult to read. Especially knowing how the story ends, and not getting to see this person grow into something more. Into the person they had the potential to become.

This book was absolutely wonderful. Paula's storytelling drew me in, and had me craving more of the characters. I cannot wait to see how she tells Cash's story in Bound to Burn. Based on the blurb on her website, it is sounding like a character from Breath to Bear is going to be a love interest. Bring it on!

I gave Bonds We Break 4 stars over on Goodreads.  The storytelling is fantastic, the characters draw you in, and the entire book is so filled with passion. 

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on the book. If you enjoyed Seven Husbands or Daisy Jones, I highly suggest you pick up the entire Blood and Bone series from Paula Dombrowiak. 

Laura

Authors Note: If you have read Blood & Bone then you know how Mia's story ends. If you require a happy ending, this book may not be for you. You can choose to skip this book and read Bound To Burn. If you choose to read Bonds We Break, know that this book contains sensitive subjects so please read with care.


To have and to hold from this day forward - to love and to cherish, till death do us part - and these are the bonds we break.

My name is Mia Stone. You may know how my story ends, but the truth is buried between the headlines. A secret that was meant to be taken to the grave – Until now.

I promised myself to one man, while still in love with another. I came between two best friends and by betraying one, I lost everything. In the end, we both knew, those bonds were always meant to be broken.

These men want to own me, possess me, or hold me down, but I was never meant to be tamed.

I have been told that I am a force of nature, but even a hurricane comes to an end.




One Click Now on Amazon, Apple Books, Kobo, Nook, or Google Play!

Add Bonds We Break to your Goodreads TBR and/or your BookBub Wishlist!



Meet Paula Dombrowiak

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, right on beautiful Lake Michigan. The Chicago lakeshore is my favorite place in the whole world. I currently live in Arizona.

I'm a '90s girl but love discovering new bands, just as much as I love writing. So why not combine the two?  That was how Blood and Bone, my debut novel, was born. 

I am a sucker for a redeemable villain, bad boys and the tragically flawed.

My wardrobe consists of band T-shirts and leggings that are perpetually covered in pet hair.  

Animals are my homies and I don't eat my homies.

 

Music inspires my storytelling

 

Have you always dreamed of being a Rock Star? Well now you can be. Join my Reader Group and be a Rock Star too.

Connect with Paula Dombrowiak here!


Thank you to Paula Dombrowiak for providing me with a review copy of Bonds We Break.