Friday, September 30, 2022

The Secret Roommate by Sara Ney {A Review}

What was it Eli said about Posey? She was sweet and kind and wouldn't hurt a soul?
...unless that soul was me?

Main Characters:
Duke Colter
Posey Kettner

Genre:
Contemporary Romance
Sports Romance

Tropes:
Roommates to Lovers
Forced Proximity
Hate to Love
Minor Reverse Age Gap (5 years)

Location: Chicago Illinois USA for 2 weeks
Team: Dallas Steers

From the very beginning of The Secret Roommate I was hooked on Duke Colter. This man just throws off this vibe of not having a care in the world. He's this famous athlete who can do as he pleases. That is until he meets one Josephine "Posey" Kettner. This Kindergarten teacher is about to put him in his place, and it is a blast to see how this relationship forms. How these two opposites would survive living together for two weeks made for an interesting story. 

The meet-cute was so dang good. This country boy was not going to give up until his mission was accomplished. Posey's reaction was perfection. Then there was the situation with the cake that had me literally laughing out loud. Oh that was fabulous. I laughed numerous times throughout this story. Sara Ney put some fantastic one liners in this book, and I loved it. Plus there was just the general banter between the two that had me smiling. Posey's neighbor was a hoot. I fully enjoyed how she kept Duke on his toes.

Duke comes across as this hard headed man who only worries about himself. But when he starts to trust the person he's with, those walls come crumbling down. It is then that you get to see who he truly is. And it just so happens that this man is pretty spectacular.

Then there's Posey. I see a lot of myself in this character. She's a bit more reserved, she keeps to herself, there's a bit of self doubt happening, but underneath it all is a passionate woman who is intelligent, creative, and completely unique. She knows who she is. She knows what her passions are, but she holds back a bit. Again, it is until she is comfortable. Until she can trust the person she is with, and that bond has been established. It is then that she will those people in. 

Let's talk about their moment of conflict. That one, I can honestly say, I did not see coming. In my mind I thought for sure that the conflict would be something entirely different. I mean Duke's in hiding for a reason, so I had that in mind when foreshadowing what the drama/conflict would be. When this moment of conflict happened though, I could see Posey's perspective. I could understand why she reacted the way she did. That pain radiated off the page, and it had me wanting to knock Duke upside the head. 

Then there was the reunion. How this played out was interesting. It showed maturity on Duke's part, which was appreciated. The reunion was good. It was. I enjoyed it. BUT something felt off. From the moment of the conflict, to the reunion, to the epilogue, that entire section of the story didn't match the vibe of the first 3/4 of the story. Does that make sense? It was missing the energy and passion, as well as the general banter that I had come to love. Regardless, I still fully loved the story. These two characters are going to be living in my head for a while, as they are unforgettable.

One last thing...I am hoping that Duke's brothers will have stories that feature them each finding their happily ever after. Could Sara Ney be returning to the college scene and be writing stories about these 3 football players? OH I HOPE SO! Maybe we'll get to meet Mama Colter too. (as well as see a bit of Posey and Duke.)

I seriously hope that you consider reading The Secret Roommate. This may be book 4 in the Accidentally in Love series, but you do not need to read the others to enjoy this one. So if the tropes I mentioned above appeal to you, then go get a copy of the book. It releases on October 3rd, so you have a short wait. 

Rating:

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts. Should you read The Secret Roommate, please let me know, and we can discuss!

Laura


All I need is a place to hide for a few weeks.

The paparazzi were on my ass 24/7 and I needed a bit of breathing room—an escape from the madness—before the media frenzy begins.

Sure, I could have gone to a secluded cabin in the woods—but I didn’t want to be bored out of my mind. I’d seen enough wide open spaces as a kid from Texas to last me a lifetime.

So instead, I let my agent hook me up with a modest house in the burbs where we didn’t think anyone would find me hiding in plain sight.

I’d have a roommate; but supposedly, she was going to give me space. Stay out of my way and respect my boundaries. According to my agent, I wouldn’t hear a peep from her.

Wrong. He was wrong about everything and now my life was never going to be the same.




Thank you to Sara Ney, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced review copy of The Secret Roommate.