Monday, October 3, 2022

Rookie Mistake by Lisa Suzanne {A Review}

 

We are about to kick off a new season of the Vegas Aces series! In this fourth season we are focusing on Tristan Higgins who is the wide receiver for the Aces.

Are you ready for some football, romance, and drama?


Main Characters:
Tristan Higgins
Tessa Taylor
Savannah
Dr. Cam Foster

Genre:
Contemporary Romance
Sports Romance

Tropes:
Second Chance
Accidental Pregnancy
Small Town


If the name Tristan Higgins sounds familiar, it is because we first met him in season one of the Vegas Aces series. That's right, he was there in the background, and at the end it was revealed that a) he hurt himself in his rookie year, and b) just married Savannah. It was in that moment that I knew I would be anticipating Tristan's story. I thought for certain that season two was going to be his story, but I was wrong. Then I thought maybe season three, but again I was wrong. So to see him showing up now has me 100% ready.

Oh, and if you're not familiar with Savannah, she's the worst. However if you've read the previous seasons then you know just how awful she is. Is it wrong to be rooting for the downfall of the antagonist? 

Full disclosure Rookie Mistake is heavy on the history between Tristan and Tessa with very little interaction. Their history runs deep. They were friends, their parents are friends (as well as neighbors), Tristan and Tessa were high school sweethearts, and they were planning for the future. That is until Tessa's dad discovered the positive test. Then she was sent off without getting to say goodbye, or tell Tristan the news. Now here we are 7 years later, Tristan is a pro football player, Tessa is a nurse, and they are about to see each other again when tragedy strikes, and they both return home. Tessa is harboring a couple of secrets. One that will cause heartache for Tristan, and one that could break up a relationship. Tristan has secrets too though, the biggest of which is in regards to the information that Savannah has, and is using to blackmail Tristan.

Rookie Mistake goes on to fill us in on what is happening in both characters lives (relationships, friendships, careers), and we begin to see how they will reconnect. We see Tessa doing amazing at her job as a pediatric nurse. We see her having an amazing friendship. We also see her enter into a workplace romance. As for Tristan, we see him interacting with his coworkers, we also see him visit a private adult club where he is able to discover his interests. Then we also see him battle Savannah, and continue pushing for a divorce. Speaking of Savannah, she is up to her tricks, and I'm curious when she'll reveal all the cards she's holding, as well as how it will impact all involved. 

I found myself intrigued with the setting of the stage. I appreciated getting to know Tristan and Tessa, as well as their history. The club scene that Tristan has found himself in, has my attention. But I find myself wanting to know why he is attending, why he signed up for that membership, and of course then I also wonder how that membership will be revealed in future books. Because if I've learned anything with these Vegas Aces stories, it's that things like this, and anything you're trying to hide, will be brought to light. Oh, and it typically isn't in your favor.

Lisa Suzanne has my curiosity piqued, and I cannot wait for season four to continue. 

My rating for Rookie Mistake is:

If you are someone who enjoys sports romances, accidental pregnancies, and/or second chance romances, then you need to pick up Rookie Mistake. Just know that it does end in a cliffhanger, so have Hidden Mistake on order! Also, this fourth season kicks off on October 6, 2022.

Let me know if you've read the book (hello fellow ARC readers!), your thoughts on the book, and/or if you're going to give it a read.

Laura




I fell for the boy next door, and then my father ripped it all away from us.

The first person to catch my eye in a long time is a colleague who tells me what we just did over his desk will never happen again.

And then my mother calls with news from back home.

I have to head back to the small town my father forced me to leave seven years ago knowing the boy I still love will show up, too.

When I finally see him, it’s clear we have unfinished business. But it doesn’t matter. His life is in the Vegas spotlight now, where he plays pro football and goes home to his wife.

My life is in Chicago now, where I embark on a torrid affair with my colleague.

And then two little pink lines show up with the power to change everything. The first time I saw them, my world imploded.

This time will be different. It has to be.

I won’t be making the same rookie mistake again.




Thank you to Lisa Suzanne, and Wordsmith Publicity, for providing me with an advanced reader copy of Rookie Mistake.