Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Covered by Elise Faber {a review}

Holding her had felt right. Helping her felt right. Standing here, talking to her, no matter how stilted, felt right.



I freaking love the Gold Hockey series. Just about every single book has held my attention, and had me falling for the characters. This cast is like family now. A fictional family, but a family none the less. So when I heard that another book was being released, I immediately preordered a copy, and then also signed up for an advanced reader copy (ARC). What can I say except I'm obsessed! Ever since reading Blocked, I've been hooked, and each book is a must read. Even as the players retire, that connection to the team is still there.


My rating for Covered:


Covered was no different. The moment we met Jordyn in Cap I knew I was going to need her story. Jordyn is going through the motions after her marriage has ended. Her life has been upended, and she's just trying to find a safe place for her and her sons to land. Thankfully Josh and Jess have provided just that. With Josh playing for the Gold, he also is bringing an extended family into her life. One of those new acquaintances is Ben. This man's life hasn't been easy, and he sees Jordyn. He sees her grief, her pain, her heartache, but he also sees her power, her passion, and her strength. There is something about her that draws him in.

Covered had me swooning, it had me laughing, it sent so many different emotions coursing through my body. I could not get enough. From the moment I started reading Jordyn and Ben's story, I didn't want to put it down. I fell into their world, and I felt like a fly on the wall as I witnessed everything. I watched as Jordyn transformed right before our eyes, and I also saw the bond that her boys were building with Ben. Those little boys were also finding their footing. It was glorious to see.

Of course there had to be drama. I love when that pops up in romance stories. We had the expected conflict between Josh and Ben. I mean how could that NOT be present! We had the ex husband showing his face, and trying to insert himself where he doesn't belong. Then there was the emotional scenes with Ben's family. Those scenes had me holding my breath, and shedding a few tears. All of these conflict scenes just added that little extra to the book that made it so enjoyable, and had me not wanting the story to end.

Also I have to say I can relate to Ben with his need to do a drive by when finding a new place. That had me laughing, and saying "that's me". That man has a special place in my heart. He's just this amazing man.

Between the emotional scenes, the steamy scenes, and the drama filled ones, it all came together to create this fantastic romance. Then there were the scenes with Ben and the boys. That bond was established, and continued to grow stronger. Those kiddos knew that they had a safe space with Ben, and that he would do whatever he could to protect them. I will admit that when Josh discovered the seriousness of the relationship I had to laugh out loud. All while shaking my head. Gotta love those comedic breaks.

That set up for Crushed? Uh, yes please! I need that immediately. Too bad it's scheduled for April 2023!

Oh, if you're wondering about tropes for Covered, here are what I believe them to be:
Brother's Best Friend
Single Mom
Found Family
Forbidden

Have you discovered the Gold Hockey series yet? There are so many tropes that take place throughout the series that there is a little something for everyone. I think if you give this team a chance, you'll fall for them like I have.

Now go order a copy of Covered, and then after you read it be sure to share your thoughts. 

Happy Reading,
Laura


She’s his best friend’s sister.

He’s going to keep her anyway.

Getting caught in bed with his friend’s sister wasn’t the welcome Ben had planned when joining the roster of the San Francisco Gold.

Neither was the black eye he sported for several weeks afterward.

Jordyn was a newly divorced, single mom of two boys, and not looking for love, but Ben wasn’t easily scared off.

Not when her brother threatened dismemberment.

Nor when Jordyn told him she was swearing off men and relationships forever.

Because she was his forever…

And he’d fight tooth and nail to keep her.




Thank you to Elise Faber, and Elle Woods PR, for providing me with an advanced copy of Covered.

Note:
I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program. Purchases made through links above will allow me to earn a small commission. So thank you for any purchases you make. I appreciate it.