Monday, February 27, 2023

What I Read Last Week

Happy Monday! After the snowstorm last week, we are back on our usual routines this week. Thank goodness! We ended up with about 12 inches of snow, and that is 12 more than I'd like. I'm ready for spring! It's winter in Minnesota though, so snow happens.

Last week I read 8 books! I finished up a series, continued on in another, and started a new one. If you know me, you know I'm wild about series. Love them! My favorite read of the week was Off to the Races by Elsie Silver. I could not get enough, and am continuing on with the series. Obviously. Also I made great progress on Gina Azzi's backlist titles! I have 5 books left (a series + a standalone), as well as a kindle vella story. I'm going to press pause on that mission though, as I also want to work through the other books on my kindle.


Before we get to the books I read, spill the details on what you've been reading. What was your favorite? Any flops? Read any new (or new to you) authors? What's the reading plan for this week?


Happy Reading,
Laura


One Last Chance by Gina Azzi


I dedicated an entire post to this book. It was a bit long winded, but it was necessary. Especially because of my love of the Kane family. Daisy and Finn's story was good. I wanted to knock some sense into Finn throughout the book. He may be 30 years old, but he was clueless. It's as though he didn't know how to have a proper conversation about past relationships, and how it affects him to this day. Then there is Daisy, the romantic. She loves love, and she loves Finn. This book was pretty decent. Not my favorite of the Kane family saga, but it was still good. Basically no one can top Denver and Sierra. Also I was so happy that we got to visit with them briefly. I'm always up for visiting former main characters.


This Time Around by Gina Azzi

Aaron's story has been building for a bit now. The brunt of it came about in One Last Chance, and we witnessed the issues that were going on in his marriage. Now here in This Time Around we see him moving on from everything that went down, and reconnecting with his college sweetheart. I loved how they were reintroduced, and how their relationship built. I liked them as a couple. However, there were quite a few things that I struggled when it came to the story. There wasn't a content/trigger warning that I noticed, and it was definitely deserved for everything Everly went through. (CW/TW: physical, mental, & SA) Then there was the way Aaron spoke of his ex-wife. I didn't like that at all. Completely unnecessary. Speaking of Aaron's ex-wife, I struggled with Kate as well. Everything that happened with Liv had me disliking her mom. Kate's best interest wasn't her daughter, and her actions showed that. Don't get me wrong this was a decent story. It had potential. 


One Great Love by Gina Azzi

Lach deserved better. Not a better partner, but a better story. In my dream world he would have had a full length story instead of Aaron. Lach has appeared in many stories, and never once was Keira mentioned. There were many opportunities for his sister, his cousins, his mom, ANYONE to mention Keira. They could have started building that connection, to lay the groundwork. Instead we get this little novella/short story that just felt rushed. Sigh. I was definitely disappointed in this one.


Off to the Races by Elsie Silver


That's right, I gave this book 5 stars. How could I not? The story demanded my attention. I was fully invested in the lives of these characters, as well as the horse. Even the setting was perfect. The 3rd act break up? PERFECTION! The antagonists? Even liked them. My thoughts while reading post will be live on Friday! So keep an eye out for that. I'm quite long winded in that one. (as per usual)


Fastball by Lisa Suzanne

Oh this book is breaking my heart a bit! My spidey-senses are also going a bit about two characters. I'm not trusting them at all. The games that are being played are not my favorite either. I mean I get it. I do. At the same time it's just a tad bit childish. One thing is for certain though, the hate to love in this book is STRONG! I knew this person would appear. I KNEW IT! That last little conversation followed by a cliffhanger? LISA SUZANNE YOU'RE TORTURING ME! (in the best way possible of course.)



Bad Boy's Downfall by Gina Azzi


I had been WAITING for this book! The minute I met Lola back in her dad's book, Brawler's Weakness, I knew that she would end up with a hockey player. I just didn't know which one. Now I do, and it's River. These two have been dancing around each other for a while now, and I loved witnessing all of it. That scene on NYE was the start to all of this. I'm convinced. Plus we are getting to see the protector/caretaking side of River come out. Which I am 100% here for. When it comes to Lola, I see a lot of myself in her. From her love of books, to her more introverted persona, and her love of family. This book had me sobbing a few times, and I am still not over it all. River is my favorite Thunderbolt. He knocked Axel out of 1st place. River has just been through so much in his life, and now he has something he wants to hold on to. He finally has it figured out that he deserves love, and he's going to fight. OH THE TEARS I SHED! Read this book. Seriously. Just do it.  Now I say that to say I do want there is a TW/CW for this book. Gina didn't list it, but the moment I read the two scenes, I knew I had to mention it. The TW/CW is for csa, and self harm resulting in no longer being here. (I will say that this isn't for any of the characters we know, but it is still discussed.) My jaw dropped when that was discussed as I wasn't prepared. I'm also a sensitive person, so that played a part in it. But now you know, so you too can be prepared.


Out of the Gate by Elsie Silver


This novella in the Gold Rush Ranch series was cute. It was the story of Dermot and Ada, who are Vaughn's grandparents. It showed their fairytale love story that was referenced in Off to the Races. While it was nice to get to know the grandparents, the story didn't grab me as much as Vaughn and Billie's.


Yours to Lose by Emily Silver


This second chance romance was cute, but too short! Yes it's a novella so it's meant to be short, but I would have loved to spend more time with Peter and Nash. These two have so much history, and their heartbreak all those years ago was intense. Yours to Lose is the prequel to Emily Silver's Dixon Creek Ranch series, and it's a freebie on her website!



Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Also thank you to Gina Azzi and Lisa Suzanne for the advanced copies of Bad Boy's Downfall and Fastball.