Friday, February 24, 2023

Thoughts I had while reading The Owner


Going into The Owner, I figured I would do another thoughts while reading post, as well as add in a tiny review at the end. Before we dive in though, LOOK AT THIS COVER! I absolutely love it. The simplicity, the colors, the team logo, all of it. More of this please.


For those who do not know The Owner is the first book in the Dalvegan Dragons hockey series from Xavier Neal. This fictional town is in Texas, and the owner of the team recently died. So the team has now been handed down to his daughter Harlow Hennington. Harlow has been raised around hockey. She lives and breathes the sport. To say she knows the ins and outs would be an understatement. This is her passion, and nothing will stop her from curating a fabulous team. Not even the life changes that are thrown at her. A spontaneous Vegas wedding? No big deal, she can get it annulled. A surprise pregnancy from that Vegas wedding? Uh, that's going to be a bit more of an adjustment. Falling for her husband? Well that is not in the plans, but it might be happening. First though she needs to take care of her team. Everything else can wait. Or can it.


When I first heard the premise of this book I thought it was going to be an owner/athlete relationship. That was where my mind went, and so when I was reading and that WASN'T the case, I was confused. Guess that's what happens when you make an assumption. What this book is though (trope wise) is age gap, opposites attract, Vegas wedding, surprise baby, and workplace. The Owner is also FULL of hockey lingo and chirping. After all Harlow is the owner of the team now, and hockey is life.




  • Vegas trip! Wish I could be that spontaneous, and have a personal jet to get around in.
  • I wish the wedding scenes had been included! Bummer.
  • I am enjoying Hennington's friends. They seem like a hoot. Plus that enemies situation between the two is AMAZING. Potential future side story maybe? Doubtful, but you never know.
  • Oh this banter between Winslow, Margot, and Hennington...I'm living for it.
  • I cannot imagine waking up in Vegas and finding my spouse has up and left! I also love the fact that Brendan doesn't even know her last name, or really anything about her. This is going to be a wild ride.
  • Okay so there's a 12 year age gap. (B:25, H:37)
  • I wonder what the story is with Hennington's mom? 
  • Six week time jump, and a new piece of info just dropped. Interesting, but also expected.
  • Harlow has GOATS? Seriously? Too funny.
  • This new coach has my attention. He seems like a cool guy. Plus I love that Hennington is trusting her gut by hiring him.
  • Yes our couple is about to be reunited! Let's see where this goes.
  • I love Bricks' first impression of Hennington when he sees her for the first time in over six weeks. "She looks professional, yeah, but she also looks like one high heel ditch away from dominating whatever indoor sport she's been challenged to compete in."
  • Oh my word! Baby Einstein...Golden Curls..LOVE IT!
  • Page is going to be the villain, isn't he?
  • A deal? Interesting. Let's see what develops over the next 90 days.
  • Love that Brendan wants to be involved in the baby's life, and is willing to do what is needed to make it happen.
  • Hennington's mom is an interesting character. I'd love to know more about her. I need more backstory.
  • These two really are getting to know each other through various conversations, and I'm enjoying it. Harlow is clearly getting comfortable with Brendan.
  • How can Page not like Peck? HOW? Peck is the sweetest. Damn vet has a thing against the rookie. I wonder if he would like him if he knew who Peck was related to?
  • Harlow has so many memories at the rink. Getting to hear about them is fun.
  • Awww they're gonna kiss. Oofta it's getting steamy. Had to laugh when things were interrupted.
  • Bricks guilty pleasure is too good, and how Harlow finds out is even better.
  • THAT was one steamy, and hot, scene.
  • Harlow called on her shit? Did that just happen? Did she just let that happen? Impressive Bricks.
  • Brendan's mama is the best.
  • I'm really impressed with how he is stepping up. It's showing that he's taking this seriously.
  • DRAMA: Round One. This one was fairly light and easily contained. That character is out for blood.
  • This little competition is going to be interesting. I'm liking the team that Bricks chose though.
  • Here comes Page yet again. This man is the worst. What's his intention? I mean I think I know, but I can't wait for it to be verified.
  • Why do I feel like another round of drama is about to go down?
  • I was right. And why am I not surprised as to what is happening?
  • AND THERE IT IS FOLKS. THERE IT IS. Just what I expected.
  • Now for Hennington and Bricks to kiss and make up. Really liked that conversation that was had, and how everything was laid out.

Final thoughts:



My rating for The Owner

4.5 Stars

Adjusting to all the hockey talk took me a bit, but after a while it just worked. Looking back at all the other hockey romances I've read over the years I realize that this is something I wish had appeared sooner. It gives it a more realistic vibe in a way. The only thing I could ask for would be a glossary, because not all of it stayed in my head while reading, so I often forgot.

I loved the way the relationship built between Hennington and Bricks. You wouldn't think these two would work, but really they are the perfect fit. He grounds her and brings that balance. 

The steam in this book was ah-may-zing. 

Cannot wait for more of the Dalvegan Dragons series. Hopefully Xavier doesn't make us wait too long. 

When Peck appeared as one of the rookies I was so giddy. I literally said out loud "PECK!" Peck's story  back in Vlasta was my favorite of the series, so to see him pop up here with the Dragons just made me smile.

The fact that Xavier mentions locations, and characters, from other books brought a smile to my face. Especially when Camelot was discussed. I love those misfits. It makes me wonder if once Xavier's done with the Dragons series if she doesn't move to the Coyotes where we could reconnect with some of the bikers. Why do I feel like one of them, or the entire club, could be the owners for the team?


So tell me, are you going to read The Owner? If you're a hockey romance fan I think you should. If you're a fan of Xavier Neal's storytelling then you definitely should. You'll adapt to the hockey language. Plus the banter in this book will have you laughing, while the steam will have you wanting a fan.

Happy Reading,
Laura



Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Also, thank you Xavier Neal for providing me with an advanced copy of The Owner.