Thursday, March 23, 2023

These books were ALMOST 5 star reads


Yesterday I had shared the books I've rated 5 stars in 2023. I thought it would be interesting to see which books were ALMOST 5 stars. The books that I loved so much but were just missing that little something extra to give it that push to 5 stars. These stories captivated me. I fell for the characters. I immersed myself into the worlds. When the stories ended I definitely suffered from book hangovers.


I tell ya those book hangovers were intense. Some were stronger, and longer lasting, than others, but each made an impact. I would gladly return to these settings, and these characters. You know, if I was a re-reader.

What are the seven books that were almost 5 star reads?  Let's take a look.

Bent by Rue Lennox 

Listen I love Rue's writing, and the characters that are brought to life. The suspense that she adds into these books of hers are just amazing. So when reading Bent it was no different. We had these great characters, a enjoyable storyline, and spectacular suspense. All that with a happily ever after. So why wasn't it a 5 star? Honestly it was Avery and her stubbornness, her actions...I just couldn't fully connect. That doesn't mean that I didn't like her. I definitely sympathized with everything that happened. It was just a little something that was off, and so that held me back.


Bad Boy's Downfall by Gina Azzi

I LOVE the Thunderbolts. LOVE THEM. I had been anticipating this book since reading Brawler's Weakness. Knowing that Lola was getting her happily ever after, and the fact that it would involve one of her dad's teammates - it was just too good. River and Lola's relationship tugged on the heartstrings, hit me in the emotions, and I was waiting for Axel's reaction (which did not disappoint). Why 4.5 stars instead of 5? It came down to River and Lola. In this book they felt different from the characters we had come to know in previous books in the series. There was this shift, and it felt as though they were being held back, or just not as intense/dramatic/sincere as they should have been. Again it's this minor thing that had me realizing it wasn't a strong 5, but it also wasn't a 4, so I went in the middle.


Devious Obsession by S Massery

First things first, this book was such a trip. Steele is an intense man, and he found the perfect person to fall for. It's as though Aspen was made for him. Seriously. This book took us on such a journey, and I couldn't put it down. Now when it comes to the rating, this one is easier to explain, and I mentioned in my review of the book. My rating choice all came down to Steele's online activities, and one specific scene in the book. In all honesty I probably could have given it 5 if it had just been one of those reasons. That combination of the two though, had me realizing that I couldn't do it. My gut said no. Doesn't change my love of the book though.


Reclaiming Brave by Gina Azzi

Denver and Sierra were my favorite couple of this trilogy! Their story just hit a bit harder, and I felt this connection to the two of them. It was so opposites attract that I couldn't help but love it. Then add in the best friend's sibling trope, and it just heightened everything. My reasoning on the rating honestly came down to the fact that there were still questions that went unanswered. Those certain storylines throughout the trilogy that just had no closure. I don't like it when that happens in books, and so it does affect my rating.


Defensive Hearts by Alley Ciz

Chance, Gemma, and those dogs...I tell ya! Defensive Hearts had me laughing, I was swooning, and I wanted to knock some sense into our characters. Here's the thing that rubbed me wrong, and kind of had me wavering on my rating - Chance's reaction to that photo, and the words that spewed out of his mouth. That just put such a damper on it. I could not get over that situation. Maybe I'm being too nit picky, but I don't think so.


Made for You by Natasha Madison

Natasha Madison and her hockey romances bring me so much joy. There has not been a single one that I have not loved. It just makes sense that Xavier and Vivi continue on with that trend. Then there's the fact that Matthew Grant was there, and he brought his over the top ways into every scene. He just brings me such happiness. Let's get into what happened that I wouldn't give it 5 stars. It comes down to Xavier. Xavier changed his tune way too quickly (hate/enemies to lovers). I didn't necessarily know if his attraction to Vivi was authentic or opportunistic. I feel horrible saying that. Yet it was something that lived in my head while reading. A smaller part that affected the rating was the Grant/Horton/Stone family. I hate saying that because I love them. There was just too much of them in this book. 


The Owner by Xavier Neal

The Owner showed me what I've been unknowingly missing from other hockey romances. The chirping. The hockey lingo. I freaking loved that, and I talked about it in my review. However as much as I loved that, it also distracted a bit. Between the lingo (where I needed a glossary), and certain moments with Harper it just had me feeling 4.5 stars. Again not a 4, but not a 5 either. It's right in that sweet spot.


See I told you that my reasonings are minuscule, and not necessarily something that others would dock for. Yet I know, for me, I made the right choice. Also these books that I mentioned are some of my favorite reads of 2023 so far.  I've recommended all of these books numerous times on social media, and I stand by my ratings.

What are some books that you went back and forth on with ratings? If you've read any of the books I mentioned, how did you rate them? Were they 5 stars? 4? 4.5? Less than 4? I'm curious.

Happy Reading,
Laura




Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!