Monday, March 13, 2023

What I Read Last Week


Another week in 2023 is complete. Hopefully you are making progress on your reading goals. I know I am. Since it is Monday, that means it's time for another What I Read Last Week post! I love writing these and reflecting back on what I read.

As per usual, it was a pretty good week of reading. Sports romance was involved, I also continued reading a series, and I'm just generally happy with my progress. When it comes to how many books I read, I finished 4 books! That's awesome. The breakdown was 3 ARCs and 1 from my ebook tbr.

Now you might be thinking that 4 books is pretty low as I typically read 6-7 per week. However if you look at the books I read, they were some heavy books. I'm not talking page counts either, but rather the topics discussed. So it makes sense that I didn't read as many. Plus I was able to sit with the books a bit, and digest what I read before putting my reviews together. I have dedicated posts here for three of the books, but my full review for Mikayla Christy's book is on Goodreads.

What did you read last week? Any specific tropes? Authors? Keep scrolling to see what I read, and read these little mini reviews. My kids are on spring break this week, so we'll see how much reading I accomplish. Hope you have a good week.

Happy Reading,
Laura



Devious Obsession by S Massery





S Massery has created these amazing characters and stories that I cannot turn away from. I'm hooked. My review has been posted, so go read it! (friendly warning: it's long winded. as per usual.)

Jagged Thorns by January James


Jagged Thorns is the start of a new series. Therefore the start of this book was building the world, introducing the characters (as well as their histories), and just the standard setting of the stage. That being said for the first 25% of this book I struggled. I did. After that though things picked up. I became more intrigued by the island, by the Thorn family, by the secrets that were clearly being held, and this relationship between Vivian and Rupert. I am not even kidding that once I made it past the 25% mark, things really picked up. We were in to the good stuff so to speak. The intensity ramped up, the connection between our characters deepened, and I had more questions than answers at this point. Before I knew it the book was over, and I got slapped with a cliffhanger. This wouldn't be a big deal, but I have NO CLUE when the second book is coming. I need a release date. My full review will be out on Wednesday!

The Sky At Night by Samantha Lovelock

I have my full review coming tomorrow, but OH MY WORD THIS BOOK! I loved the story. I loved the characters. Yes even our female main character. You see I've had a love to hate relationship with her in the Folkestone Sins series, so I had to warm up to her. As the story unfolded though, the reality of it all was laid out. This book tackles difficult topics, and it also shows these two working towards improving themselves. Falling in love was just a bonus. Samantha Lovelock continues to pull me in with her characters and stories.

Cross Check My Heart by Mikayla Christy


This was such a good debut book! I found myself captivated by the characters, as well as being invested in their stories. Both Lilly and Dom had been through some hard times, and I loved how they opened up to each other. There were some difficult moments discussed in the book, from the death of a family member, to the end of a relationship, to what truly happened during a divorce. What I appreciated about this book though was the found family that Dom discovered. His new team in Tampa was just that for him, and it proved that these unicorn teams do exist. Plus they were all there for Lilly when the situations with her ex occurred. While the relationship being kept secret wasn't my favorite thing, as per usual I can understand why it had to happen. The way it was revealed though had me chuckling. Definitely worth checking this book out if you've been on the fence. I found it through TikTok, and am happy I took the chance on it. 



Thank you January James, S Massery, and Samantha Lovelock for providing me with advanced copies of your books. I greatly appreciate it.

Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!