Thursday, May 25, 2023

Off-Ice Collision by Cali Melle {a review}


The time has come to close the book on the Wyncote Wolves series. Cali Melle released the first book back at the end of July 2022. I fell for the characters immediately, and was hooked on Cali's storytelling. In one of more recent books, I feel like it was Hayden's, Vaughn experienced his injury. I recall my jaw dropping, and I could not believe that just happened. Yet I held out hope that Cali would write Vaughn's story, and it would be his redemption so to speak. Well that book is here, and it's Off-Ice Collision.

What to expect:
🏒 Grumpy-Sunshine
♥️ Small Lake Town
🏒 Childhood Friends to Lovers
♥️ Injured Hockey Player

Two years ago Vaughn had his future plans ripped from him. He was destined for the NHL. Instead one hockey game changed his entire life. Now here he is grieving, healing, dealing with heartache, and trying to go through recovery. While he will never play professionally, maybe one day he'll be able to get back on the ice. Right now though he isn't able to do that mentally. As it has been two years, Vaughn's parents are about to dish out a bit of tough love. They are sending him to Stillwater Lake to work the family business. He needs something in his life, and maybe this will be the push that he needs to restart his life.

Stillwater Lake is a difficult place for Vaughn to return to though. His family has been going there for years, and he has many friends in the area. Now he has to return there as someone who had their future completely changed due to an injury. Vaughn is just hoping to be left alone. But we all know that will not happen. Especially since his parents lake house is right next to London's. These two have been friends for many years, and there's been an attraction building. They've never acted upon it, but it is very much mutual. I love the history that these two have.

Vaughn arrived in Stillwater Lake as an injured person. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I fully believe that this is where he was meant to be in this season of life. Stillwater Lake would bring healing. 
What happened in this little lake town gave him everything he could have wanted, even though he wasn't expecting any of it. 

I loved that London was by his side throughout the journey to recovery. She was a great motivator for him, and wasn't afraid to use some tough love to get her point across. Especially since London is a lover, a fixer, and she just wants what is best for those she cares about. Whether that be Vaughn, Emery, or her twin brother. That being said you could see that switch begin to flip, as she came to terms with the fact that she has to let them figure things out on their own from time to time. Yes she can be there to guide, but ultimately they have to make the choice.

I'll be honest, I thought I would cry a bit while reading Off-Ice Collision. I remember when the accident first happened, and how shocked I was. So I fully expected to have some tears going down my face while reading Vaughn's version of events. I say all of that to say, no actual tears fell. Were there some in my eyes? Well yeah there were, it goes with being an emotional person/reader. 

One thing that did cause a bit of an emotional punch was when former teammates made an appearance. Vaughn's reaction hurt my heart. It probably hurt them as well. I wasn't expecting an overjoyed reaction, but something friendly was expected. I can only hope that in the future Vaughn is able to mend relationships with his fellow Wyncote Wolves.

Having read all 8 books in the Wyncote Wolves series, I can say without a doubt that Vaughn is my favorite. He pushed Hayden out of the way at the last moment, and believe me I didn't think that was possible to push Hayden from the #1 spot. It wasn't because Vaughn's story is the freshest in my mind, but because of the person he is. He overcame so much, had to work through a lot of emotions, and is just now starting to make it through to the other side. A lot of that has to do with his parents sending him to Stillwater Lake, a smidgen has to do with London, but the majority of it goes to Vaughn. He did the work. He had some encouragement, but ultimately it was his choice on how to respond. Vaughn looked to forever, and forever also includes London. 

This series may be complete now, but I know Cali Melle has many more wonderful stories (and characters) to come. I look forward to reading each and every one. Chances are I will fall just as hard for the newbies as I did the
OGs.

If college hockey romances are something you enjoy reading, or even if you just like the new adult genre, then give
Off-Ice Collision a read. You don't NEED to read the other books in the series, but it would help to know backstories and relationships.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts. If you read the book, I'd love to know yours as well.

Laura






Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!


Thank you Cali for providing me with an advanced copy of Off-Ice Collision!