Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Books I read in August

Wasn't it just August 1st? How are we in September already? This is not making sense. Especially since other months felt like they went on FOREVER. (I'm looking at you March and April) 

Curious what I read in August? I'll let you know now it was all romance, and I read a lot of new-to-me authors. It was splendid. Keep reading to find out about the books I read.



This month I'm not going to talk about all the books, instead you'll hear about a handful of titles. Because let's be honest, if I were to tell you about ALL of them (ahem like last month), we'd be here forever. Although if there is a book you'd like me to tell you about, leave a comment and we can chat. Also, you can always check my Goodreads account to see what I've been reading. (I will say I don't often write reviews over there, but it is where I update my reading, and books I want to read) 





Look at all those beautiful books!

August was apparently the month that I devour military romance. More specifically romance involving members of the Navy SEALs. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Heck, I see 13 in that ( ⬆️) picture. I am not complaining one bit, it was totally worth it.  Of course August also features a few hockey romance books. What can I say, I can't help myself. I happen to have a strong love of romance books that feature hockey players. 🏒

Speaking of hockey, let's start there. Although if I'm being completely honest, this first book also covers the military romance sub-genre. 

Good Guy by Kate Meader



This book introduces us to Levi Hunt. He is a rookie on the Chicago Rebels hockey team, and he is a veteran of the Special Forces. The man is a mystery, and the fans want to know everything they can about this rookie. Harper Chase, one of the owners of the Rebels, has requested that Hunt give the press what they want! And what do they want? To know all about Levi Hunt of course. There's just one problem. The reporter who has managed to get the exclusive is Jordan Cooke. Jordan and Levi have history together. History that is making Levi question how this is going to work. Levi is going to make Jordan work for the story. Jordan is already feeling the pressure from her boss. After all he hired her because of her connection with Hunt. If anyone can get the story, it's Jordan! 

I really enjoyed Levi and Jordan's story. It is kind of a second chance romance, or rather a second chance at a first romance. This month I also read Instacrush, which is the second book in the Rookie Rebels series. Theo is amazing. I found myself laughing frequently.

  


Protecting Fiona by Susan Stoker



Protecting Fiona is the third book in the Seal of Protection series by Susan Stoker. Protecting Fiona starts with Hunter "Cookie" Knox and the team on an urgent mission in Mexico. They were brought in to rescue a woman (daughter of an elected official) who was kidnapped by human traffickers. Hunter arrives at the destination (in the middle of a jungle), and locates the woman. Meanwhile on the other side of the shed, Fiona hears someone enter, and it sounds like who ever it is is going for the other woman. She of course would love to be rescued, but no one even knows she is missing. Fiona must have made a little noise though, as suddenly the man looks over in her direction. Hunter hears the noise, and is shocked to find another woman. He knows at this point he has to rescue both women. He can't leave her behind. 

As the story continues things get wild. If you are a fan of suspense, then I think you'll like this. I want to tell you so much more, but I can't with giving away too much of the story. Also, while this is a standalone series, I still recommend starting with Protecting Caroline as it will help you understand things/people mentioned. (Also, Caroline's story is another that is full of suspense.) I cannot wait to continue with this series. I'm hopeful that books 4-10 have just as much suspense (and romance) as the first three did.

A Seal's Vow by Cora Seton



A Seal's Vow is the second book in the Seals of Chance Creek series by Cora Seton. In this book we get to know Clay and Nora a bit better. We were briefly introduced in A Seal's Oath, but the main focus of that book was obviously on Riley and Boone. 

With the reality show kicking off, Clay knows it's his turn to get married. Naturally he has his sights on Nora. He has since the first day he saw her. Clay knows he's her other half, and that they are meant to be together. The problem is that Nora is struggling with her past, as well as the threats she was receiving at her teaching job. One day Nora starts to notice odd things happening at the main house, but doesn't say anything about it. That is until more things start happening. Then she mentions it to her friends. They know a bit about the threats, but not the whole story. The women agree to stick together, and not leave Nora by herself. Just in case. After another event, Nora fills the men in on what has been happening, as well as the threats she received previously. The men shake it off though. They don't take her seriously. Well if Nora and Clay have a chance at a real relationship, perhaps they should. The action is about happen. Are they prepared? Will Nora and Clay get married, or is the back up bride going to have to step in? (and yes, Clay has to get married no matter what as it's part of the contract, but does he marry the one who has his heart or the stranger?)

There are two other books that I wanted to share with you, but they each have their own posts.  😁

Click the photos to read about Royal Icing and Kiss My Cupcake.



Curious about how my book stats for the month? I track books read, page count, and new to me authors. I like to see that info, and thought maybe you would as well. 

So tell me, what did you read in August? What was our absolute favorite? What book(s) are you excited for in September? I have six that I am eagerly anticipating.

Happy Reading,