Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Weekly Wrap Up

Well hello there reader friends!

It's Tuesday!

And I'm posting my weekly wrap up? Yeah, Monday was a day full of writing reviews, reading books, and general household things. So unfortunately this post had to be bumped until today. But that's okay! Life happens.

I'll let you in on a little tidbit of information. I have A LOT of reviews coming to the blog in May and June. Looking at my calendar, I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by what I'm seeing. But no worries, I'm positive that the books I have lined up I will enjoy. (okay there's one that I'm worried about, but we'll save that for a future update.)

Let's talk about my stats for my birthday week. I read:

6 books
1,495 pages

My favorite book of the week was Wild Ride by Kim Loraine. I love the Rykers, and this book did not disappoint. It was a great start to the new Wilde Horse Ranch series, and I cannot wait to see what happens next.
 

Let's start talking about the books I read last week. If a review has already been posted to my blog, it will be linked in the title. Also, all of the books I read were advanced copies. Some have been released. Some are coming this week. And one is coming later in the month.

Oh and in case you're curious, as I write this blog post I am rocking out to the Made in the AM album by One Direction. I happen to be a fan of all their albums (group and solo works).


1) Devious

by J.M. Stoneback
Rating: 3 Stars


Devious by J.M. Stoneback is a dark (and I do mean dark) mafia romance. J.M. Stoneback says there is no redemption arc for Cayden Vitali, and she was correct. Cayden is who he is, and he'll probably be on your shit list. Roselyn is the daughter of Lex, and she is being forced to marry Cayden in order to pay off her dad's debt. There is a lot that happens in this book, and I cannot even begin to go into detail. What I will tell you is that this is the darkest mafia romance book I've ever read. I'll also go so far to say that I don't want to repeat it. There were just parts that pushed me outside of my comfort zone, and I want to return to the safety of my bubble. Also, at the beginning of the book there are trigger warnings given. 

I have heard that this book is being re-edited, so it isn't currently available for purchase, but you can add Devious to your Goodreads if dark mafia romance is your jam. Also, my review is based upon the ARC I had received, so my copy may differ from what is eventually released.

2) Wild Ride

by Kim Loraine
Rating: 4 Stars


Wild Ride by Kim Loraine is the official kick off to the new Wilde Horse Ranch series. This is one of my anticipated reads for May, and I am so happy that I was able to read an advanced copy. Don't get me wrong, I would have waited for release day and immediately abandoned what ever I had been reading. Hey when it's one of your anticipated reads that's just what happens.

Wild Ride is the story of Sera Ryker and Sutton Wilde. It involves a spur of the moment Vegas wedding, and the realization that this shouldn't have happened. Their families are rivals. There is history and a lot of hurt between them.

This book was so good. If you are into western/cowboy romances, please pick up Wild Ride when it releases on May 17. I have a feeling you'll really enjoy it. (also, if you haven't read the Ryker Ranch series what are you waiting for?)


3) The Prince I Love to Hate

by Iris Morland
Rating: 4 Stars


The Prince I Love to Hate by Iris Morland just released today! If you are someone who enjoys royal romances with a bit of mystery, then you'll want to read this one. Niamh and Olivier both have tasks they need to complete, but it is going to take them working together to accomplish the job. Now I will say that this book starts a little slow, but as I said in my review that is due to the foundation being laid. Once we get through that, things pick up. As for me, well that was when I was fully involved with the story. I had to know what was going to happen next.  There is a big reveal in the book that happens, and it ends on a cliffhanger. The good news is that The Princess I Love to Hate comes out in June, so you won't need to wait too long for the story to be completed.


4) Hate to Love You

by Melissa Schroeder
Rating: 4 Stars


Hate to Love You is the first book in the Fillmore Siblings series (duet) by Melissa Schroeder. This book features a boss falling for his assistant. These two are also frequently butting heads, and it is sort of an hate to lovers situation. I say sort of because to me it isn't fully there. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. Grady knows what will set Sydney off, and he likes to push them often. She in turn doesn't take it from him, and will frequently throw pens at him.  All it takes is one night at a club, where Grady sees Sydney dancing with friends, and he starts to realize his attraction to her.

Ultimately I enjoyed the story. I will say that the side characters kind of stole the show for me, and I found myself curious about them. 


5) Love to Hate You

by Melissa Schroeder
Rating: 4 Stars

Love to Hate You is the second book in the Fillmore Siblings series (duet) by Melissa Schroeder. I was so excited that I had this one ready to go after finishing Hate to Love You. I could not wait to get started on Nancy and Travis's story! This book is a friends to enemies to lovers story. It is also a workplace romance, and it features the best friends sibling trope. Oof that's a lot. But it's all there. You're going to hate Travis for a good portion of the book. I'm just throwing that out there. It will be up to you to decide if you forgive him at the end. The things he put Nancy through just made me want to knock some sense into him. Ugh.

Absolutely loved this book. The characters, the storyline, the setting, it was all wonderful. I cannot wait to read Quinn's story when it releases later this month!

6) The Offer

by Becca Steele
Rating: 4 Stars


The Offer by Becca Steele is the first book in the London Players series. This little novella will have you wanting more. More of the characters, more of the setting, and more rugby. Oh wait, maybe that's just me. This was my first sports romance featuring rugby, and I want more. Obviously. If fake dating is a trope that you enjoy, then grab this book when it releases later this week. Victoria and Jake are complete opposites, but they are so amazing together. Loved it! Looking forward to returning to this setting when future books release.

That's it folks. Those are the six books I read during my birthday week! 

My current read, if you're curious, is King's Return by Xavier Neal. It's a MC Romance that is King Arthur inspired. King Arthur, Camelot, Merlin, all that makes me so happy. So I have high hopes for this book, I mean series. Because yes, King's Return is the first book in the Camelot Misfits MC series. So if you need me, I'll be living in that world for a few days.

Thank you for taking time to read my weekly wrap up,



Thank you to the various PR firms I have worked with this past week for the advanced reader copies of the books. I look forward to working with you on many more book reviews.