Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Sinful Bodyguard by Emily Bowie {a review}



Sinful Bodyguard is the fourth book in the Dark Mafia Sins series from Emily Bowie. This new release is a friends to enemies to lovers story featuring forced proximityarranged marriage, slow burn romance, and a whole lot of hate to love. Luna and Fin are both holding secrets, and when they are exposed, it could lead to a war, as well as heartbreak.

Having read Sinful Daughter, and Sinful Kisses, I thought I knew what to expect in Sinful Bodyguard. I knew the Rossi family would be involved. I knew we might find out a bit more about Katrina. I knew we would get to see the other characters periodically. I knew that I was returning to this mafia world. But that was it. I wasn't fully familiar with Luna. She was quiet in the other books, and so I didn't get a main character vibe from her. I do remember seeing Fin at the end of Sinful Kisses, and it honestly took me a bit to place him. 

I really enjoyed how this book began, and the fact that we were in the past. It gave insight into what happened to drive Luna and Fin apart. Not only that but it also showed what influenced Fin to live his life the way he has.


Luna is a strong, independent woman who can handle pretty much anything that is thrown at her. With the exception of Fin. The history between the two is less than ideal, and there is still a lot of feelings pent up regarding what happened in the past. Luna is also a protector. She will do what needs to be done to take care of her family.

Fin is amazing at what he does, and he has earned quite the reputation because of it. Taking over the family business isn't exactly high on his priority list, but it is what he is destined for. First though he needs to fix things with Luna. Not only that, but he's going to convince her family that an arranged marriage between the two is the perfect plan.

I really enjoyed the characters. Separately they are fantastic. Together, I'm just not feeling it. Never once while reading did I see these two being anything other than enemies. Maybe one day I could see a truce being called, but that's about it. So to see the relationship building, and Luna being so resistant toward it, I struggled. Did this Rossi sister deserve her own story? Absolutely. But this enemies to lovers romance was just missing something for me. Honestly it kind of felt like a filler story to get to Katrina's story. And believe me I think Katrina's story is going to be INTENSE! Especially with the build up.

All in all the story was decent. I gave it 3.5 stars on Goodreads. It was just not what I was expecting, or what I was used to based on the others in the series. But these are just my feelings, and we all process books in different ways.

Bring on Sinful Queen!

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on Sinful Bodyguard. I do have a review of Sinful Vow coming soon, I'm just ironing out my thoughts on that. 

Happy reading!
Laura



Cover Design: Jersey Girl Design

Long before Fin was my bodyguard, he was my best friend. It didn’t matter that he belonged to the Irish mafia and I the Italian.


One day changed everything. His family was murdered, and I helped set everything in motion.

I’ll carry the weight of that burden forever.

Six years later he’s back in my life as my bodyguard. He refuses to let me out of his sight, and I’m reminded of my betrayal every single day. Our connection is so much more than friends now. It’s hard not to appreciate his chiseled chest, strong arms, and his need to protect me.

When the tension wraps too tight around us it explodes. Igniting chemistry that neither one of us can say no to.

But Fin could never love me if he learned the truth. I should be more frightened of him than the monsters he’s protecting me from.

When secrets surface, we’re both forced to reckon with what the truth will do to our relationship.
Now I’m standing at the altar with a choice: stand with Fin and risk everything, or protect my family--and my heart.



Add Fin & Luna's story to your Goodreads TBR!


New to the world of Dark Mafia Sins?
Start from the beginning!





Author Bio

Emily Bowie is from a small town in Western Canada. She has been making characters come to life through her writing since she was old enough to put her thoughts on paper. She loves her white wine cold, her heels red, and her books spicy. 

She married her high school sweetheart and they have two amazing children. 

She is the author to the Bennett Brothers Series. 

Recklessly Mine, Recklessly Forbidden, & Recklessly Devoted. 

When she is not writing she can be found reading a good book, making digital scrapbooks and being physically active—whether it is at the gym, going for a walk, or playing /keep up with her children.


Connect with Emily






Thank you to Emily Bowie, and Give Me Books PR, for providing me with a copy of Sinful Bodyguard.