Tuesday, October 4, 2022

My Brother's Forbidden Friend by Piper Rayne {A Review}


My first crush on a boy started when I was five years old, after I'd caused my mother's death.

my rating

If you've been around for a while, you know that I absolutely love The Greene Family series from Piper Rayne. These two have created this amazing small town called Sunrise Bay which is located in Alaska. In this town there are numerous businesses, all of which are owned and operated by residents. When you're reading, you can almost imagine this picturesque community. Then you add in the community members, and it just feels like a place to call home. If you haven't read any of the Greene Family books, Hank and Marla are the parents. They married many years ago, and brought together two families. Think modern day Brady Bunch, or a Yours Mine Ours situation. Times haven't always been easy for the family, but together they make their way through the good times, and the not so good moments. As this series progresses, you really see how the family grows, their connection deepens, and healing occurs. For you see that healing is very important. When you lose a parent through death (or divorce), there is grieving that has to occur. That being said, our characters have pretty much all buried that heartache, that pain, those emotions, and so these stories bring that out, and they find their healing moments.

Chevelle Greene owns and operates her own little fishing charter business that has a slip at the marina Cameron's family owns. Cameron's dad recently came up with an idea to open a charter of their own that is of course more impressive, and very much higher end. This ends up creating a bit of conflict at the docks, as Rowdy is already struggling to make ends meet, and Chevelle is doing okay, but now with a third boat, it's going to be rough. Cameron and his dad are also not getting along, and he's decided to essentially upend Cameron's life for a bit. The goal is to show Cameron how good he's got it, and to wrangle him in a bit. Cameron goes through the motions of the day to day life, all while living with Chevelle, and keeping his side hustle a secret. Slowly but surely the forced proximity to Chevelle, and their history together, begins to blur the lines of their relationship. 

My Brother's Forbidden Friend hit a bit harder than the other Greene Family stories. Chevelle has been carrying this guilt for so long, and just burying it down deep. Everything that happened with that storyline just had me a bit weepy. Cameron's situation also showed the issues he is dealing with when it comes to his parents, the family business, and their feelings of jealousy. It was the moments with the Hank, and the Greene children that really hit me emotionally. To see them come together, supporting Chevelle, and finding what they did just really brought it all full circle. Healing has begun.

After watching these two dance around each other for so many books, I am so giddy that Chevelle and Cam got their happily ever after. Cam may have already felt like family to the Greenes, but now he's really solidified his role within.

Cam really impressed me throughout the story. I thought that situation with his dad would have done a number on him. Instead it pushed him in all the right ways. Cam came out stronger, and with a partner by his side. I was also a bit nervous about his friendship with Fisher (Chevelle's brother), and how this relationship might cause issues. Thankfully Allie was there to buffer the emotions, and bring a bit of lighthearted comedy.

Oh, and that cameo toward the end of the book? I love it when Lake Starlight and Sunrise Bay come together for a scene or two. 

My only complaint for the book was that there wasn’t enough of the Grandma trio. 😂 I just love those ladies. But I also know that they are getting older, and it has me nervous for Rylan and Calista's story. I'm worried that one of the ladies might no longer be with us, but I'm also curious to see how Piper Rayne handles that situation.

Our Couple:
  • Cameron Baker
  • Chevelle Greene

The Tropes:
  • Blended Families
  • Brother's Best Friend
  • Forbidden Love
  • Secret Romance
  • Small Town
  • Will They or Won't They

Locations: 
  • Sunrise Bay Alaska
  • Winterberry Falls Alaska

This final full length book in the Greene Family series was one of my favorites. The storyline, the characters, the emotions that played out, just all of that came together to create this delightful story. Chevelle and Cam's story is one that I won't soon forget. 

Now I can begin to count down the days until A Greene Family Christmas releases! That novella will signal the official end of the series, and I'm not ready to say goodbye. Thankfully Rylan and Calista's story will allow us to reconnect with both the Bailey's and the Greene's. I am so ready for that one!

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts on My Brother's Forbidden Friend. I hope you'll give this book a read, and fall for the characters like I have.

Happy Reading,
Laura



I’ve gone from crushing on my brother’s best friend to wanting to crush him.

Cameron Baker and I have a few things in common. The first being that we were both born and raised in our small Alaskan town. Second, is that we hide our feelings and keep our hearts closed off from anyone who could break them.

But hiding my feelings is harder to do with Cam than most. When I was five years old, grieving the loss of my mother, he showed me how big his heart is, and I’ve never forgotten.

He comes from the richest family in town. Cam’s bad boy gorgeous, flirts like he has a Doctorate in charm, and he’s my brother’s best friend. That last part is where it gets tricky and the sole reason we’ve never crossed the line.

Now, his parents have cut him off to force him to prove himself. I never thought he’d open a competing business to mine. So, I do what I do best, shove all my feelings aside and ready myself to crush him. Game on.




Thank you to Piper Rayne, and Valentine PR, for providing me with an advanced review copy of My Brother's Forbidden Friend.

Also, I participate in the Amazon Affiliate program. Purchases from the links above may allow me to earn a small commission.