Thursday, October 6, 2022

One Last Shot by Julia Connors {a review}


I rarely feel safe around men, but Sasha has always been a protector. My Protector.

One Last Shot is a book that I have been anticipating since the moment I "met" Petra in On The Edge. She was that secondary character that piqued my curiosity. I gravitated toward her, and that interest continued in Out Of Bounds.

Petra and Sasha's story is by far my favorite of this series. Petra is an amazing character who exudes this confidence and a take no BS attitude. She isn't afraid to speak on things that are wrong, and is more than willing to find solutions. Sasha (Alexsandr) is her equal in many ways. There were times where I wish he had spoken up, but Petra was there to handle it. (all while giving Sasha the looks he deserved) This man is a protector in every sense of the word. He may hide his caring nature behind a mask, but it is there. 

One Last Shot was full of tense moments. From the moment Sasha and Petra parted all those years ago, to the eventual reconnection, to the secret that was just revealed, to how their relationship progressed, there was CONSTANT tension. Now one of the key moments of conflict for our couple was something that a lot of people could probably relate to. Then there was that secondary moment of conflict with the added stress of a hockey game that they had to work through. Those two things were a struggle, but they pushed through, and found their way to reconnect.

Stella was absolutely adorable! This little girl stole the show in every scene she was in.

Sasha's dad frustrated me beyond belief. I do wish that more information was provided with his hand in all of this. There are holes here that need to be plugged.

Two characters had me very uncomfortable from the moment they were introduced. When they met Petra, that uncomfortable feeling increased tenfold. This is another storyline that wasn't 100% closed. There are still strings hanging on this one, and I'd love to know what happened. At the time it seemed like a key storyline, but that evaporated.

In addition to those two storylines that I mentioned above not being wrapped up, there were two more that comes to mind. One storyline is in regards to Petra's business. We know what happened with the secret opportunity, but what about her original business? Did that company dissolve? Did she sell it off? Is it still operational? The other storyline was the basis for how our couple was reconnected. I mean as you read the book, and especially the epilogue, you kind of know how everything wrapped up in that regard. But I still have questions. It wasn't spelled out for me, and so my brain is just going a mile a minute. Sigh.

Even though those storylines were not fully wrapped up, this book is still my favorite of the series. It is still one that I enjoyed reading. It is still a book that I will recommend over and over again.

My rating for One Last Shot:

If you know me, you know that sports romance calls to me repeatedly. You may also know that I am a sucker for second chance romances. I'm slowly discovering that the found family trope is another favorite of mine. Seeing those bonds established, and the love grow just warms my heart.

One Last Shot by Julia Connors is releasing on October 7, 2022. The description is posted below, if that grabs your attention, please go grab a copy!

Happy Reading,
Laura



Aleksandr Ivanov was my person. We helped each other through the worst of our childhoods. I thought we were meant for each other; then he ghosted me.

That’s when I learned that the only person I can count on is me.

Fourteen years later, the NHL superstar reappears in my life with an outrageous request: pretend to be his wife and help him adopt his orphaned niece, Stella. The twist? Apparently we’ve been married since I was sixteen.

I can’t commit to the relationship he’s asking for, but when I accidentally screw up his childcare arrangement before he leaves for the Stanley Cup playoffs, I end up as Stella's nanny for a couple weeks.

I shouldn’t put my life on hold to help him. I shouldn’t fall hard for his precocious niece. And I definitely shouldn’t let him into my bed, or more importantly, into my heart. Because if I do those things, I might start wanting things I can’t have.

There is no happy ending for us: I’ve got a company to run, and a contract to start filming a television show in Los Angeles. He can’t leave New York, and staying with Aleksandr would mean giving up everything I’ve worked so hard for.

Most importantly, I can’t put my very fragile heart right back into the hands of the one person who already destroyed it.


Author’s Note: If you don’t like childhood loves, second chances, strong female main characters, hot hockey players, surprise marriages, precocious little girls who worm their way into cold, unfeeling hearts, ice cream for dinner, and television shows about inspirational women, then look the other way. But if you love all that and a happy ending, one-click now to get One Last Shot!



Thank you to Julia Connors, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced review copy of One Last Shot.

(also, I participate in the Amazon Affiliates Program. Purchases made through links above may allow me to earn a small commission.)